• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female NFOs/Pilots

aea090394

I'm graduating in August and have been studying/preparing to join the Navy - hoping to get accepted to OCS. I will take my ASTB soon and really want Aviation, but am honestly just excited in general about any potential officer position. I know that statistically the Navy and military in general is male dominated which isn't a big deal, as I've been raised with brothers and a super dominant mother my whole life. All this to say,one of my Marine buddies told me that there are only two categories of women in the military, "sluts" and "lesbians". He said that the sluts usually sleep around to get what they want, and the lesbians are just like males with vaginas. This comment really pissed me off. I was just wondering if this was a common generalization, or if my buddy is just an asshole (wouldn't surprise me). I've pushed myself hard to get where I am today, physically, mentally and educationally, and have definitely not slept around to get where I am today, so I'm not going to let my dumbass friend deter me from joining, but I guess it just got me wondering if this stereotype about women in the military was common?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd offer that it's a commonly held stereotype by those that haven't served in the military with women. As a generalization, the military is a cross section of America so there are all kinds of folks represented. Lots are really great and dedicated Americans who are doing their best to serve their country. A few others who are less great. But agree that your friend is an asshole who doesn't know what he's talking about.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm graduating in August and have been studying/preparing to join the Navy - hoping to get accepted to OCS. I will take my ASTB soon and really want Aviation, but am honestly just excited in general about any potential officer position. I know that statistically the Navy and military in general is male dominated which isn't a big deal, as I've been raised with brothers and a super dominant mother my whole life. All this to say,one of my Marine buddies told me that there are only two categories of women in the military, "sluts" and "lesbians". He said that the sluts usually sleep around to get what they want, and the lesbians are just like males with vaginas. This comment really pissed me off. I was just wondering if this was a common generalization, or if my buddy is just an asshole (wouldn't surprise me). I've pushed myself hard to get where I am today, physically, mentally and educationally, and have definitely not slept around to get where I am today, so I'm not going to let my dumbass friend deter me from joining, but I guess it just got me wondering if this stereotype about women in the military was common?
I have female friends that are applying to the Blue Angels, some are instructors at the most prestigious weapons schools in the Navy, and some are just regular people. None of them slept their way to the tops but a few of them are deeply invested in healty, married relationships with other women. Please don't think that your sexual orientation or gender has any bearing on being a good person. Achieve your goals and surround yourself with people that support what you want.

And tell your friend he's an idiot.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
My experience is limited but the Most intelligent and adaptive person in my primary squadron was a female. One of those people that just “got” it on the first teaching go around.

Hopefully your marine friend gets the crayon out of his ass before its kicked farther in.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As a generalization, the military is a cross section of America...
And your friend is pretty much a cross section of most of America's assholes. Still @Renegade One is right, I have known some great Marines who were also stellar assholes.

Apply, do your best, serve your country. Little more can be asked of any good American.

exNavyOffRec

This guy is no friend or buddy

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
And he’s been in the Marines how long?

I did thirty years, saw undesirables on both sides of the aisle. One of my best supervisors was a female, and she was neither, one of my best female worker/sailor as a young supervisor liked both sides of aisle, on of my MO’s was a female that retires this summer after 30 thirty years with an impeccable reputation.??⚓️

You are who you are, your reputation and destiny is yours to make. Don’t let others stereotype you, especially some young marine the doesn’t know his ass from a whole in the ground.?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Here I am with some of the finest Americans I ever got to work with. It looks like it could be a staged photo but it wasn't. It's a personal photo of me and a few of the Sailors who were kind enough to soak me after my final flight in a USN a/c. The aircraft commander for that flight happened to be the son of a US Senator. You'll meet all sorts in the services but the great majority of them are truly representative of the best America has to offer.

Deere1450

pilot
My first impression is that you’re seeking attention with a question like that, and that you already knew the answer.