• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female candidates for OCC-189/PLC-COMB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupa

OCC 189 Select
I'm going to go ahead and reply to this, seeing as how the aforementioned thread wasn't current.

I'd really like to hear from any women going to the June session of OCC.

Stats:
PFT: 244, way too low for my tastes. 56 sec hang, 84 crunches, 22:50 run.
ASTB:6/6/6 I can't remember my OAR...
GPA: 2.95
SAT: 1390
Major: Journalism
Minor: Japanese

I'm 22 years old, currently biding my time in Albemarle, North Carolina until I ship out to OCS. Albemarle is podunk, but I have plenty of time to PT while working part-time as a lifeguard.

I graduated from UNC at Chapel Hill in 2004. Following graduation, I hauled a 40-pound pack 2,170 miles on the Appalachian Trail. Amazing experience. Truly an agony and ecstacy endeavour. In that 6 months, I managed to drop 60 pounds and build up some incredible leg muscles.

After clambering down Mt. Katahdin in Maine, I realized that I really can do anything I set my mind to. So cliche, but so true. So, I decided to go after my lifelong dream of becoming a Marine Corps officer.

My father was an Marine Corps officer and I loved growing up around the military. Camp Lejeune feels like my hometown. It will be surreal when I'm stationed there in the future.

Looking at my stats, I find it hard to believe I got into OCS. My PFT is entirely too low, but I am confident that I will substantially raise it when I take my pre-OCS PFT. All a matter of making myself do crunches every day. I'm happy with my run, just gotta keep up where it is for now. As for my b.a.h., I can only keep plugging at it. I really want to get it over 60 seconds, at least.

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
do sit ups/crunches every other day, not everyday. Also, focus on sit ups with your feet under a bar, as these are more difficult than having someone sit on your feet. Do these, then when you do your PFT sit ups they will seem much easier.

BlueTarantula

Question

I will also be attending PLC-combined on June 5th. It is getting very close and I am so excited, and a bit nervous as well. I was wondering if any of you have worked on doing pull-ups and if you are able to do any. I can do the flexed arm hang, no problem...but pull-ups are quite another story. I have been doing pushups, weight lifting, etc., but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions? And if you have been to OCS previously, would pull-ups be something that women should have mastered before going, for things such as rope climbing, different courses...thanks again for any suggestions or insight.

Lupa

OCC 189 Select
I'm concerned about my inability to do pullups as well. I mean, I can do a little hop and get up over the bar, but I can't from a dead hang.

Ann Merke

Pull ups from a dead hang are bloody hard for me as well. I havn't tested myself for a couple weeks but have been weight training like crazy. Are you all following the 8 week training guide that is at the OCS website? It has made a big difference for me. I think this week I'll try to test myself on pull ups again.

There are stats at the OCS website that say that if we can complete at least one pullup along with a 70 second F.A.H., then our chances of success at OCS are HUGELY better than those who can't do one pullup. Their rate of success for females who can't even do the full F.A.H. is like, what? 25-30%? Its low.

I've been doing assisted pullups, then everything else as recommended. Really building up my chest and back and shoulders. I'm starting to look like a swimmer.

Something that helped my crunches improve from below 100 in 2 minutes to well over 100 in under 2 minutes was doing only INCLINE crunches while training, then testing on PFT style crunches now and then. Back extensions help with them too, I think. If you can do incline crunches, then you'll be able to do regular crunches laughably.

Looking foreward to seeing you all this summer... terrified too, come to think of it. In a good way...

thanks for the advice for crunches. you guys are probably already gone, but it'll help me anyway, and for that i thank you. crunches are supposed to be "gimme," but after the first minute, i poop out. as for upperbody though, i have no problem getting 70 seconds and i can do about nine dead-hang pull-ups, palms facing out. think this will even out my poor crunch score on obstacles and such (obviously not on the PFT itself)?

Status
Not open for further replies.