• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Felony Enlistment Question

exNavyOffRec

So then essentially, it could be a possibility of emailing or sending in a letter, finding a middle man to go between myself and the commander, whatever it may take.

Stranger things have happened, and I can't just give up after one shot. So I've been looking into any and every avenue of possibility in order to go in.

The few times we had someone contact a person, say senator, or someone who knew someone, it always came back to us asking to look to see if the person was qualified, it all goes back to the person at the local level, you are probably spinning your wheels.

brownshoe

Contributor
I was being facetious in an earlier post but NOR is right. I too work on government establishments and am vetted at least once a year, sometimes more often, and without notice. Trust me when I say they were brutal at Indian Head (especially inside the second fence line).

However NOR is also right, during times of military buildup they do kinda look the other way at times. (Crap just look, me, Walt, Derf, BzB, Ron and A4s all made it during Vietnam. :))

All kidding aside I wish you luck James.

Last edited:

James77

Seems like the ultimate answer is.....basically not going make very much progress in continuing the journey through all of this to try and become a Marine. However.......if I just gave up now, and never pursued it then I will never know for myself. I just turned 23 years old, I have a bit of time to keep trying before I am just to old to enlist, period ha.

Plenty of time to start preparing letters, getting a hold of the right kind of people, making connections, volunteering around the community, and seeing what kind of difference I can make to hopefully be able to prove myself to whoever the man (or woman) may be that is going to decide my future as a Marine or.....in the worst case scenario, not making it that far at all.

I really appreciate everyone replying and giving your advice and knowledge on my current situation, and thank you brownshoe, hopefully I can make it through. Keeping my fingers crossed.

exNavyOffRec

Seems like the ultimate answer is.....basically not going make very much progress in continuing the journey through all of this to try and become a Marine. However.......if I just gave up now, and never pursued it then I will never know for myself. I just turned 23 years old, I have a bit of time to keep trying before I am just to old to enlist, period ha.

Plenty of time to start preparing letters, getting a hold of the right kind of people, making connections, volunteering around the community, and seeing what kind of difference I can make to hopefully be able to prove myself to whoever the man (or woman) may be that is going to decide my future as a Marine or.....in the worst case scenario, not making it that far at all.

I really appreciate everyone replying and giving your advice and knowledge on my current situation, and thank you brownshoe, hopefully I can make it through. Keeping my fingers crossed.

They type of felony will also come into play, what was the charge and the conviction?

I did see a guy get into the Army with a felony, he was in a car when his buddy got out, smashed a car window and took items from another car.

James77

Breaking & Entering and Destruction of Private Property

The destruction wasn't me though, was a "friend" I was with at the time. I wasn't even there when he did it', but somehow I had that smacked on along with him.

EDIT: Idk if it matters as well but, it wasn't the B&E you see on the news, we had been drinking and went into an "Open House" (for sale kinda thing) and the shed in its backyard.

exNavyOffRec

Breaking & Entering and Destruction of Private Property

The destruction wasn't me though, was a "friend" I was with at the time. I wasn't even there when he did it', but somehow I had that smacked on along with him.

EDIT: Idk if it matters as well but, it wasn't the B&E you see on the news, we had been drinking and went into an "Open House" (for sale kinda thing) and the shed in its backyard.

well I understand why they got you for both, the narrative you write may help, the bad thing is if it mentions alcohol in the court documents the will look at that not well (underage drinking)

James77

I actually don't believe it mentions anything as far as alcohol goes in the court documents.

Also was just reading online again and was curious, would any sort of notable Military Criminal Defense Attorney be of any help?

Ralph

Just because you were in the wrong spot shouldn't affect the rest of your life if you were innocent. Of course this is the military and government.

James77

Well unfortunately, the B&E, I was in the wrong and I do understand the military reasoning for these stipulations. However I there are people that do make the decisions I have made, and are "branded" with that forever without a second chance. Then live with it for the next 50+ years. Granted there are many people that break these rules, and....it really is who they are or what have you so it's quite hard to give the people that in a sense deserve that second chance, their second chance.

People don't really get the opportunity to see who they really are, maybe it was just some stupid mistake they made as a juvenile, and now they are stuck with that situation defining them as "criminals/flight risk" and don't get a chance to show who they really are as a person. Characteristics, moral values, intelligence. Essentially it seems like really its not so much the crime that was committed that prevents you, but how much of a risk are you to the rest of the people IF you are accepted. Unfortunately there is no test that you can take to just weed out who is really that kind of person and who isn't.

Now....I could be completely wrong ha, but that's my best understanding of it.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The bottom line is that even though the record is expunged/hidden, you plead guilty to a felony. Your lawyer was trying to keep you out of jail and give you the opportunity to have a successful career in life - which you can still do, just not in military service.

Your only recourse at this point is to ask your lawyer if he can enter a motion to change the plea to not guilty or the crime to a misdemeanor or whatever other legal wizardry that would remove the felony conviction...but the arrest might be enough to get the USMC to pass on you.

James77

The bottom line is that even though the record is expunged/hidden, you plead guilty to a felony. Your lawyer was trying to keep you out of jail and give you the opportunity to have a successful career in life - which you can still do, just not in military service.

Your only recourse at this point is to ask your lawyer if he can enter a motion to change the plea to not guilty or the crime to a misdemeanor or whatever other legal wizardry that would remove the felony conviction...but the arrest might be enough to get the USMC to pass on you.

I thank you for that suggestion, I understand that I am in all reality probably very unlikely to become a Marine but it's not very easy to give up on a dream. So I can't just stop at that and not pursue it any further.

exNavyOffRec

I thank you for that suggestion, I understand that I am in all reality probably very unlikely to become a Marine but it's not very easy to give up on a dream. So I can't just stop at that and not pursue it any further.

even if you went through the time and money to get it changed to a misdemeanor the military would still call it a felony, it is based on what the original charge was, not what was convicted or or plead to.

James77

Sounds like I am just going to have to give it my all, do everything I can do, and hope for the best. There is no actual "path" or process in order to cleanse my record in any way to portray who I really am, and not who my record makes me out to be. I appreciate you all, with the ideas and what not, again it means a lot to see people trying to help and give me an insight/wisdom that I was unaware of.