• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsin

We went on a six mile hump on sunday in the hollywood mountains. It wasn't a good idea wearing new boots. I got a fat blister on my achillies...so much for thinking my feet were tough enough. Anyhow the PT was good we double timed the last two miles singing candices. It was Highly motivational. The people seemed very happy to run into us. I discovered that it is a lot different wearing boots as opposed to just running shoes.

LA OSO tells all pending candidates here that it is imperitive that we take care of our feet at OCS.

One of the PLC candidates who finished a summer PLC class suggests using "second skin" Do they sell/provide these products at OCS or do we have to come prepared with it?

What can those of us who do nothing to protect our feet besides wearing socks do to prevent getting them messed up
icon_smile_question.gif

Any advice would be helpful.

to stray off the subject....
Hear about those two superhornets that crashed off Monterey. 4 men missing not found. The Gunny here says "4 more air slots!"[}:)] pretty damn cold if u ask me.

Semper Fi

Hudson

davidson,
All I can tell you about your feet is build up your calluses. Walk around in bare feet outside. Watch for glass! Continue to wear your boots and know that they are going to hurt until your feet are callused over. They won't be pretty but it is the only way that I know to keep your feet out of trouble on long humps.

JF

I remember talking to a former Army officer a while ago. He mentioned something about women's pantyhose i.e. just the foot part. Apparently, wearing that under your socks prevents blisters. Don't quote me on this, I ve never tried it.

Hudson

Speaking as a former Army Vulcan crewmember and a stinger gunner the pantyhose is more for preventing chafing. You wear them on long humps and you don't chafe the inside of your legs. AS for helping your feet I don't know. On long hikes it is important to keep your feet dry and cool if the hose do that then great. I don't know I never tried it for either chafing or blisters. I was stationed in Hawaii and we were given jungle boots. Kept your feet pretty cool and dry.

Rainman

pilot
The idea with the hose on your feet is that the nylon slips off the feet nicely instead of rubbing. You can go to Wallmart and get 100% nylon dress socks and get the same effect, if you'd like to give it a try. Then of course you need a thick wooly layer over that. I did that @ OCS and it worked well. Now I use nothing but Thorlo Combat Boot socks and love em. They don't last a real long time, but when it comes to humps, who really cares? Good luck.

O-man

nylons can do more than be a layer to help with blisters. they keep ticks off of you too. Look, no matter what you do, you will get blisters at one point or another. when you carry a pack, its a new game too- I;ve had them on the tips of my toes, the side of my foot and even new blisters under old ones that are not gone yet. I have had them fill up with fluid/air and push from the balls of my feet to the underside of my arch where they have no buisness being. but like JF said, toughen up your feet and your be OK. The OSO is right about keeping feet in check though- when I did my first day/night land nav, it was after an 8 mile hump and I had on new boots- the next day during the exercise I was walking on broken glass. you get used to that and other forms of foot, knee, back and shoulder pain that is constant when training in the field. after a while its no big deal at all. If you dont like the idea of nylons, you could just weat dress socks under you boot socks. and if the hump is over 15/17 miles, maybe even change socks when there wet.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
i never messed with any of that dress sock/nylon stuff. i would change my socks if i was sweatin real bad or my feet were wet. but during humps, the little bit of foot pain gave me something to think about. if you aren't hurtin during a hump... well, then you're just taking a walk.

JGalus

Try lubricating your up your feet with vaseline. It worked like a charm for all of my MCCRS (25 Milers) humps when I was in 1/3.

Jamie
(Sgt, USMC 91-99)

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Tell Gunny that they were F-18 "F" and the Corps does'nt fly that version. 4 more slots for the Navy...Still pretty cold. Foot powder and regularly changing your socks always worked for me. "Mole" Skin is what they are talking about and yes it can be purchased by candidates. There is no need to buy anything. Just ask the Corpsman and he will give you all that you need. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

O-man

truth be told- nothing you will read here will teach you like getting out there andjust doing it. They will not make you jump into it without a little bit of room to learn first. I put mole skin on my problem spots before a hump, bc I know where my feet love to get blisters. your not gonna die- it just sucks a little at first. ......small price to pay. there IS a diference between reading and understanding and Knowing! this is all such a small piece of the pie that it does not matter. Do, or do not. make it or dont. either way, so long as you push yourself harder than you thought you could go- you should be fine. easy talk, and a hard walk. Pun intended.

JF

As I have heard 90% mental 10% physical... I'll be as physically prepared as possible for OCS when the time comes but does anyone who has been through it have any tips for the mental preparation part? I ve seen mental preparation mentioned everywhere but no one really explains what it means or how to prepare. To me I guess, it is just a "no quit" no matter what attitude. But how do you go from a civilian lifestyle, where you can get your 7-8 hours a night and take a nap on a weekend if you are tired, to operating on little sleep? Do you just adapt over time?
Does anyone suggest trying to exist on 5 hours or less sleep in the months leading up to shipping out?

Lt_SNA_USMC

No--do not deprive yourself of sleep to "prepare." Just do as you normally would--it's honestly not going to make any difference. Yes--you just adapt or you go home. You have 50 other candidates in your platoon all behind you "helping' you to adapt. I do not think there is any way to prepare mentally for OCS other than to never never quit, maintain your integrity no matter the consequences, and read everything you can about the Marine Corps before you ship. Try to "hang out" with some Marines before you go if you know any.

Status
Not open for further replies.