• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fed clears the way for first Chinese takeover of a US bank

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
What's the issue?

EDIT: That's a horribly misleading title. ICBC is taking a controlling stake of a Hong Kong-owned bank's ~12 branches in the States.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And they still claim to be Communists.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
2 comments: (a) This is a government-owned entity making the investment, and (b) no U.S. banks own 100% of any banks in the PRC, nor does our government have an interest in any chinese banks. IOW, this investment is inherently unfair. But then, they're still buying US Treasuries - so we can't callout our masters on this hypocrisy.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
2 comments: (a) This is a government-owned entity making the investment, and (b) no U.S. banks own 100% of any banks in the PRC, nor does our government have an interest in any chinese banks. IOW, this investment is inherently unfair. But then, they're still buying US Treasuries - so we can't callout our masters on this hypocrisy.

While those points may be correct, they're moot because ICBC isn't buying an American bank.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I beg to disagree w/ you, fellas. It's the U.S. subsidiary of a Chinese bank. That means it has a banking charter issued by the U.S. government and the State of California. The U.S. subsidiary is a legally-chartered banking corporation in the United States of America. It is NOT a branch of the parent Chinese bank. I did spend 33 years in banking, and 20 of that in international banking (including running International Banking for a Texas bank), so I have been down a few of these roads.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I beg to disagree w/ you, fellas. It's the U.S. subsidiary of a Chinese bank. That means it has a banking charter issued by the U.S. government and the State of California. The U.S. subsidiary is a legally-chartered banking corporation in the United States of America. It is NOT a branch of the parent Chinese bank. I did spend 33 years in banking, and 20 of that in international banking (including running International Banking for a Texas bank), so I have been down a few of these roads.

Well, a Hong Kong-bank. So, again, what's the big deal? It's a U.S. subsidiary of a Chinese bank....becoming a U.S. subsidiary of a Chinese bank?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why does this matter at all anyways? Are their ATMs going to have too much lead content or something?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why does this matter at all anyways? Are their ATMs going to have too much lead content or something?
Everything Chinese is bad... except for those 6-packs of tube socks at WalMart for $3.99 - those are OK.