• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-March 2016 Rolling SWO Board Thread

Niko

Precisely what I was getting at, the issue at stake here is not that the DoD is lax and Navy is strict. It is that they are going about it the wrong way, but the devil is in the details.

OPM does not grant clearances, they only conduct investigations or subcontract them. The respective federal organizations grant clerances, DoD, FBI, DoS etc. in fact one can go through a most rigorous background check without even being a US citizen or a green card holder...

exNavyOffRec

Precisely what I was getting at, the issue at stake here is not that the DoD is lax and Navy is strict. It is that they are going about it the wrong way, but the devil is in the details.

OPM does not grant clearances, they only conduct investigations or subcontract them. The respective federal organizations grant clerances, DoD, FBI, DoS etc. in fact one can go through a most rigorous background check without even being a US citizen or a green card holder...

I may have mixed that part up, I know when we had a person that was a dual citizen it was OPM that contacted us (we missed it) and had him do the renunciation IAW the manual, they must have been familiar with the specific requirements.

goldmanharry91

Funny thing, I'm actually in training to become a Background investigator for a contractor. I am reading about the process and I'm not sure why I have to renounce citizenship that I've never claimed nor have any right to. It's just strange, that's all. My mom was born in Mexico but gave up her rights to citizenship as a teenager. She's an American citizen through and through. Her parents were of German and American descent. There is no way I could even try and claim Mexican citizenship even if I wanted to. It's a bizarre circumstance that is holding up FINSEL that I should have been told about a while ago. It's listed on my SF86.

exNavyOffRec

Funny thing, I'm actually in training to become a Background investigator for a contractor. I am reading about the process and I'm not sure why I have to renounce citizenship that I've never claimed nor have any right to. It's just strange, that's all. My mom was born in Mexico but gave up her rights to citizenship as a teenager. She's an American citizen through and through. Her parents were of German and American descent. There is no way I could even try and claim Mexican citizenship even if I wanted to. It's a bizarre circumstance that is holding up FINSEL that I should have been told about a while ago. It's listed on my SF86.

That does seem weird.

Niko

That does seem really odd. I am assuming the navy is trying to cover their bases or the program manager is new, or "interpreting" the regulation. Either way, we have no control over the process, which is why our energy should be focused on excercise, and proper diet. . .

Niko

1750 free style, followed by 10 minute water threading, followed by a 40 lbs 5 mile ruck. Might have undrerestimsged impact on my body.... time to reset now... I need some weight resistance training ideas that do not involve gym time... get plenty of that st work....IMG_0027.JPG

aznp_21

Does anyone know how our post-OCS orders work? As in the timing after graduation to either reporting to your ship or BDOC. Is it a relatively quick turn around or would I potentially have a couple of days to go back home and pack up the rest of my stuff?

Also, I've seen different answers on here, but when do SWOs typically have their ship selection and get their follow on orders for after OCS?

So I work nights at my current job. Tuesday night definitely earned a permanent spot in the "Top 5 worst nights of my life" list. I figured "hey, things can only go up from here. Maybe in the morning I'll get the call!"

And wouldn't you know it, my phone rings at 1145. I answer out on the second ring, only to find out that...

"Mark" would like to sell me solar panels for my home.

*insert temper tantrum here*

VWXThrasher378

Does anyone know how our post-OCS orders work? As in the timing after graduation to either reporting to your ship or BDOC. Is it a relatively quick turn around or would I potentially have a couple of days to go back home and pack up the rest of my stuff?

Also, I've seen different answers on here, but when do SWOs typically have their ship selection and get their follow on orders for after OCS?

Also wondered about this myself. The general consensus appears to involve a listing of available ships/homeports that is distributed in the latter half OCS. Apparently, the class organizes the process of selecting the ships on their own. I suppose this makes the selection process slightly different from OCS class to OCS class (though, there might be some historical practice that is informally followed by all OCS classes).

My thoughts, ship selection will be concentrated in the San Diego or Norfolk homeports. I hope that there are more options that include Everette, Hawaii, and Japan

Niko

Also wondered about this myself. The general consensus appears to involve a listing of available ships/homeports that is distributed in the latter half OCS. Apparently, the class organizes the process of selecting the ships on their own. I suppose this makes the selection process slightly different from OCS class to OCS class (though, there might be some historical practice that is informally followed by all OCS classes).

My thoughts, ship selection will be concentrated in the San Diego or Norfolk homeports. I hope that there are more options that include Everette, Hawaii, and Japan

I read somewhere that your ranking at OCS will also determine your choices to some extent. I am not sure I would want to be in Japan, or anywhere outside of U.S. as my home port. . .

Pichardo

Tribilin
A recent SWO grad posted the following about ship selection in another thread https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/everett-wa.29603/page-4#post-856328

Some heads up, since you seem to be going off some bad gauge that I also went in with:

First, ship selection almost never comes down to where you fall at OCS. I saw it happen once in eight classes this year, and then only for the top two people who were fighting it out, and conceded among each other based on merits. 99% of the time it's everyone sitting in a room spinning bullshit sob stories about how they have dying grandmother's or dying mothers in location X that they have to get home to. It's astonishing how Spain, Hawaii, and San Diego are apparently where all the people on death's door live, and equally amazing how you'll never hear about these sob stories again. So good luck with that. Not saying it's hopeless, but don't expect that your achievement is going to mean shit to the rest of your class. If class team has to get involved (e.g. your class can't work it out) it tends to go shitty. My class team told us if we didn't deliver a list we'd all agreed on and signed off on they would have us draw names out of a hat at random.

Second, if it does come down to rank, based on when selection takes place, the determining score is PFA. If you max your PFA out the odds are you can go wherever you want. The only scores you'll have for calculating class rank are Engineering and Weapons Test, RLP, and your In PFA. None of your other achievements matter, your billet doesn't matter, literally nothing but the mathematical average. Since RLP scores only have an maximum range of 80-93 most of the time, and the academics are so laughably easy that class averages in the 90s aren't uncommon, the guy with the best PFA almost always determines.

Anyway, as to Everett actual, and the possibility of slots.... Class 06-16 had an Everett spot, Class 07-16 had an Everett spot, Class 13-16 had two Everett spots, and nothing since then. So they come along, but not super frequently. Of the six DDGS slated for Everett eventually, three are there presently, two are supposed to move in the next year or so, and the last isn't finished building yet. The number of ships though in a port is less important than the number of SWOs in your class. If your class only has 3-4 SWOS (I've seen as few as 2) you're only going to get 4-5 choices total. The odds of Everett showing up on that list are pretty small. If, on the other hand, you've got like 16-20 SWOs, I'd say you might get as high as 50/50 on having an Everett ship. Regardless, rest assured it's utterly out of your hands.

I read somewhere that your ranking at OCS will also determine your choices to some extent. I am not sure I would want to be in Japan, or anywhere outside of U.S. as my home port. . .

aznp_21

That's what I had seen as well. Just wanted to see if it had possibly changed more recently. So I wasn't very concerned about this part, more concerned with the timeline after OCS. I had seen that some SNA/NFOs had about a week before their report date and others were scheduled to report the Monday after graduation.

I over-plan for stuff like this. I'm trying to decide if I need to have all my stuff packed and ready go before I leave or if I would have a day or two to wrap up the rest of my stuff. I guess location would play a big role too. I live in Arizona so reporting to San Diego wouldn't be too difficult, but if I have to go to Norfolk it might put more of a time crunch on things.

You usually get the list of available ships late in week 5, and it's due in week 6 sorted to your class team. Sometimes you'll get it early, sometimes you'll get it late. More often you'll get it when they feel like you deserve it. I know for a fact that our ship listing was in the hands of our Class Officers more than a week before they turned it over to us, and we got it earlier than the last class had. Everything I said above holds true. The SWOs in the class determine how ships are sorted collectively. I strongly recommend asking a couple of Candio SWOs / Priors that already did their ship selection to sit in for you, to keep things level: sometimes selections get a bit chippy.

Orders are a huge question mark. Usually SWOs get them in week 10 or week 11, but I've seen classes that didn't get them until a week after graduation - which left the entire class sitting in Student Pool. Exactly what your orders say varies a great deal. Sometimes you'll go straight to B-Doc (more common in the Spring before Academy Graduation / College Graduations). If they don't have immediate B-Doc slots for you they occasionally slot you into a secondary school (electro school for instance), but most often they'll send you to your ship for a while. That's actually the best possible outcome, because everything from B-Doc makes a lot more sense if you have a couple of months on the ship to know what the hell they're teaching you about. If you do get ship orders though, typically your orders have a "no later than" date - usually it's the end of a month. For example, if you graduated on May 9th, your orders might call for you to report in May.

Until you check in with your ship, you'll simply be charged leave (3 months of OCS means you graduate with 7.5 days). If you are flying they'll give you a day for travel. If you're driving you'll get like 1 day per 400 miles or some such. I, for instance, graduated and took 7 days of leave to head home and put affairs in order before flying out to my ship. The key is to keep in contact with your sponsor on the ship (your orders should include a way to contact the ship for a sponsor) and let them know what you're doing so you don't show up as the random new guy that no one knows what to do with.