• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-March 2016 Rolling SWO Board Thread

Niko

With that in mind, is there a certain selection criteria that allows one to receive their FINSEL before the other selects from this group? Or were these guys just selected at random?

That's a really good question, and I am afraid I don't have an answer to it. . . They are using criteria which is unknown to me. I had everything ready to go when I got my selection letter... yet no FINSEL. . .

VWXThrasher378

Just got the call! FINSEL for October 23 class

Im still betting that we are all getting our FINSELs for an October class. It appears the 10/2 and 10/23 FINSEL letters are being dispersed in a random rate though, which is understandably annoying. But hang in there guys, we're seeing a lot of FINSEL action this week so I get the sense this is the final stretch for most of us.

exNavyOffRec

It all comes down to the needs of The Navy... Projections and end strength requirements. Keep that in mind, if there are no junior officer slots for you to fill, it is pointless to send you to training, additionally The Navy is downsizing, and this will play a role in the process as well, which could help explain lower selection rates, and longer waiting period... Keep in mind OCS is sort of a backfill for The Naval Academy and ROTC...

The reduction in the US Navy is very minimal and has not ever had any real noticeable effects on officer recruiting.

SHoward

LT, CEC, USN
It all comes down to the needs of The Navy... Projections and end strength requirements. Keep that in mind, if there are no junior officer slots for you to fill, it is pointless to send you to training, additionally The Navy is downsizing, and this will play a role in the process as well, which could help explain lower selection rates, and longer waiting period... Keep in mind OCS is sort of a backfill for The Naval Academy and ROTC...

Does the SWO community publish a monthly health overview like the CEC does?

For CEC, it shows as of August they are undermanned by 6 ENS and 3 LTJG, but overmanned by 133 LT for FY17. In FY16, 14 OCS slots are still unfilled and more losses than gains of officers overall are projected through FY20. Seems like if current officers aren't retiring or being promoted as planned, then OCS accessions slow down.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...uments/CEC_Monthly_Quad_Chart_August_2016.pdf

Still doesn't tell me when I'll get my FINSEL or OCS date, but gives me plenty of scenarios to think about.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Does the SWO community publish a monthly health overview like the CEC does?

For CEC, it shows as of August they are undermanned by 6 ENS and 3 LTJG, but overmanned by 133 LT for FY17. In FY16, 14 OCS slots are still unfilled and more losses than gains of officers overall are projected through FY20. Seems like if current officers aren't retiring or being promoted as planned, then OCS accessions slow down.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...uments/CEC_Monthly_Quad_Chart_August_2016.pdf

Still doesn't tell me when I'll get my FINSEL or OCS date, but gives me plenty of scenarios to think about.

That CEC snapshot is just that, a snapshot, those OCS spots I doubt are unfilled they are just people that haven't graduated yet as that was August so there are a few OCS classes that will add to those numbers. The projection through FY20 doesn't surprise me as they have talked about shrinking the CEC

Niko

So couple of guys in my unit told me that I have couple of gray hairs, and they were shocked since I am so young, and people didn't really notice them before. I will attribute this development to me patiently waiting on my FINSEL and not stressing about it at all... Because why should one stress about things we can't control

Everyone who is still waiting- where are you alphabetically and age-wise? At this point I'm trying to make myself feel better by making up reasons for my delay.

Please tell me you're all in the second half of the alphabet?

I'm also 26, will be 27 on Oct 2, so I'm also telling myself it's a blessing not to have my FINSEL yet. I actually prefer not to be yelled at on my birthday, so... Yay for me?

Andrew3376

Everyone who is still waiting- where are you alphabetically and age-wise? At this point I'm trying to make myself feel better by making up reasons for my delay.

Please tell me you're all in the second half of the alphabet?

I'm also 26, will be 27 on Oct 2, so I'm also telling myself it's a blessing not to have my FINSEL yet. I actually prefer not to be yelled at on my birthday, so... Yay for me?
I'm in the second half of the alphabet and 23 years old.