• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-March 2016 Rolling SWO Board Thread

Niko

I am starting to believe that the rest of us will be pushed to January 2017. . . Just a hunch here...

Niko

Like I said, this is just a hunch, but I would be surprised if they had class dates which were close to Christmas exodus... and even if they did, would you want to be given that date? You start your training, you are all geared up and ready to go, and then midway through you are asked to take a break. It just doesn't sound ideal. And they do not have to send you before the fiscal year is up. You are at the mercy of The needs of the Navy, they will initially push through critical shortages, and then they will get around to push SWOs. Essentially SWOs are not a priority at the moment, actually they might be over strength on SWOs. Now why do some people get orders before others is beyond me, it seems to be randomized to some extent, but again I am not a subject matter expert, and I am just guessing and extrapolating. . . I don't want to be a pessimist or get anyone upset over the wait here, but this is just the overture to the rest of your military career, there is plenty of "hurry up and wait". And often times certain decisions, timelines or actions will make no sense to you initially. . .

Last edited:

goldmanharry91

To be honest, I don't care if I get the November or December class. I want to get going. Period. I think it's going to happen sooner rather than later. They probably haven't filled up these Oct/Nov/Dec classes yet. OCS classes can be up to 100 people. There were 67 people selected in our board. I think we will be going before the end of the year.

Niko

To be honest, I don't care if I get the November or December class. I want to get going. Period. I think it's going to happen sooner rather than later. They probably haven't filled up these Oct/Nov/Dec classes yet. OCS classes can be up to 100 people. There were 67 people selected in our board. I think we will be going before the end of the year.

I agree with you completely! I would love to start ASAP... But I also know that things tend to move slowly, so I am not getting my hopes up...

VWXThrasher378

My optimistic prediction - most of us will still get an October OCS date. Mostly because the next SWO board is scheduled on 10/24 and it wouldn't make sense to hold another board when they still have a handful of people w/out an OCS date. Also, if you look back on past SWO boards, most Proc-Rec'd candidates were already shipped out before the next board convenes. This would make sense given the last OCS board in October is on 10/23, a day before the subsequent board convenes.

But ya know - disclaimer alert - Im just another dude thinking way too much about this stuff

Intel101

Ready too see my dream come a reality
My optimistic prediction - most of us will still get an October OCS date. Mostly because the next SWO board is scheduled on 10/24 and it wouldn't make sense to hold another board when they still have a handful of people w/out an OCS date. Also, if you look back on past SWO boards, most Proc-Rec'd candidates were already shipped out before the next board convenes. This would make sense given the last OCS board in October is on 10/23, a day before the subsequent board convenes.

But ya know - disclaimer alert - Im just another dude thinking way too much about this stuff

I agree. I am applying for OCT board and I think they move the Oct board from Dec because you selects from April will fill the remaining OCS slots for OCT/NOV. That's leave people who are selected for OCT SWO board to fill OCS slots starting in Feb/Mar which will be the time you guys graduate. If the board was in DEC there would be a gap for SWO selects in OCS classes starting in 2017.

However I'm just a guy who has nothing to do and has no idea what he talking about.

Niko

I agree. I am applying for OCT board and I think they move the Oct board from Dec because you selects from April will fill the remaining OCS slots for OCT/NOV. That's leave people who are selected for OCT SWO board to fill OCS slots starting in Feb/Mar which will be the time you guys graduate. If the board was in DEC there would be a gap for SWO selects in OCS classes starting in 2017.

However I'm just a guy who has nothing to do and has no idea what he talking about.

Very logical... very analytically written, I want to agree with this 100%, but there are factors we don't know which could delay this...

exNavyOffRec

@Chop07, @NavyOffRec could you provide some guidance here? I was under the impression they would have to send us before next year as we were supposed to go before the end of the fiscal year, which is up in a month.

It is when a person graduates not when they leave for OCS, so everyone going to OCS from end of July to now is FY 17 and the March board picks for current and next FY.

I have seen people picked in one FY then due to needs of the navy not graduate until 2 FY's later, I think he was selected in FY 10 and ended up graduating OCS in FY 12

goldmanharry91

It is when a person graduates not when they leave for OCS, so everyone going to OCS from end of July to now is FY 17 and the March board picks for current and next FY.

I have seen people picked in one FY then due to needs of the navy not graduate until 2 FY's later, I think he was selected in FY 10 and ended up graduating OCS in FY 12

So being selected in April (FY16) does not necessarily mean we are required to be sent during FY16 or FY17 due to needs of the Navy? The longest I've seen anyone wait from selection board recommendation to arriving at OCS was about 9 months (?), a SWO selected during FY15 (Feb Board I believe) and arrived at OCS in Dec 2015.

Niko

It all comes down to the needs of The Navy... Projections and end strength requirements. Keep that in mind, if there are no junior officer slots for you to fill, it is pointless to send you to training, additionally The Navy is downsizing, and this will play a role in the process as well, which could help explain lower selection rates, and longer waiting period... Keep in mind OCS is sort of a backfill for The Naval Academy and ROTC...

goldmanharry91

It all comes down to the needs of The Navy... Projections and end strength requirements. Keep that in mind, if there are no junior officer slots for you to fill, it is pointless to send you to training, additionally The Navy is downsizing, and this will play a role in the process as well, which could help explain lower selection rates, and longer waiting period... Keep in mind OCS is sort of a backfill for The Naval Academy and ROTC...

I get that point but if that were the case, NRC would have some estimation on when people will go through the training pipeline. The problem here in the end is transparency. From what I've gathered, the Navy and NRC is not required to provide transparency to the end user, meaning potential recruits/pro-recs/other, which would allow for better planning on all ends of the spectrum. As you said, "hurry up and wait."

In the end, we are all still waiting until we have to hurry up and wait some more.

Billy Vegas

With that in mind, is there a certain selection criteria that allows one to receive their FINSEL before the other selects from this group? Or were these guys just selected at random?