• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-March 2016 Rolling SWO Board Thread

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for sharing this NavyOffRec...I don't think I got it though, still not sure which will serve the applicant better? applying for one vs. multiple designators

This also depends, many designators will not really look at you if you put them anything other than 1 or 2, several years ago their used to be only 3 spots, they should have stuck with that.

zack13usa

This also depends, many designators will not really look at you if you put them anything other than 1 or 2, several years ago their used to be only 3 spots, they should have stuck with that.
What would happens in my case for instances I applied for three designators but they were all under the same board?...I did not explicitly mention neither of them instead I vaguely stated my interest of working in that dominance

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

What would happens in my case for instances I applied for three designators but they were all under the same board?...I did not explicitly mention neither of them instead I vaguely stated my interest of working in that dominance

IDC is pretty much all the same, there were a few boards where the board selected people for designators they didn't apply for!

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
application cutoffs/deadlines are really hazy, no one really knows when they are.
For everything except for SWO and Aviation, the deadlines are in black and white and published annually for the fiscal year. For SWO and Aviation, it's all about whether the board date is released. If so, it's "about" a month prior to the board. That's a loose date (unless published) and whether we're told a board date is also a big fat question mark. Moving target, for sure. That's why I never take my foot off the gas for a SWO or Aviation applicant...because we never know until often, it's too late.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For everything except for SWO and Aviation, the deadlines are in black and white and published annually for the fiscal year. For SWO and Aviation, it's all about whether the board date is released. If so, it's "about" a month prior to the board. That's a loose date (unless published) and whether we're told a board date is also a big fat question mark. Moving target, for sure. That's why I never take my foot off the gas for a SWO or Aviation applicant...because we never know until often, it's too late.

Non-SWO/Aviation boards also change as well. Seems like every FY at least one IDC and SUPPLY board gets cancelled or merged into another one. Best bet is to follow the Bupers page (active duty) or your recruiter (every one else) for updates.

SJ-Sil80

I have a question for some of the experienced recruiters. I believe part of the reason I was not selected in the last board is due to my recruiters change to my GPA on my application. I graduated from my university with a 3.64, it is what shows on my final official transcript. Years prior I attended a community college and had about a 2.8, which the credits transferred to my university, along with some military credits. The credits from the community college that were accepted are just considered transfer credits and accepted or not. He averaged together my old community college GPA and my graduating GPA and put down like a 3.13. Is this correct? I was lead to believe that if the school accepted my credits, then I finished at that school, my 3.64 that I finished with is what my GPA should be. I don't believe he is allowed to just average them together like that. I know if they are only looking at my application for 2 minutes they are probably going with what is on the applications and not looking through all of my transcripts.

He also informed me that I need to significantly change my package to submit for SWO again. I would like to take the OAR again and try to score higher, but other than that I honestly think my package is pretty solid, I have excellent recommendations and a 50 isn't too bad. He made it sound like he wont even resubmit my package unless I score significantly higher. He said I need to get another officer interview as well, which I will try to do.

Also whenever I bring up information that I have gotten from this website he dismisses it and says he doesn't follow anything on here and what anyone says here is mostly wrong. But from what I can tell, the people on here are much more experienced. I'm getting frustrated and would really like some advice. Thank you.

SWOMan

Checking in for this board..... just got cleared on my history of depression waiver and was told this is when I will be applying for! What do you guys think the new norm for competitive is going to be this time around? Will there be a higher selection rate or are will looking at 34% again?

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
@SJ-Sil80 Sorry about your frustration with your recruiter. I'll give you my 2 cents here and if history proves right, a few recruiters on here will be quick to correct me, whether they are correct or not. When it comes to your GPA, the way they did it is correct. It has to be a cumulative GPA from ALL sources. We have to get all transcripts post-high school and use their quality point scheme and then do a calculation with all transcripts to come up with a cumulative. Most often, this works against the applicant but it's the rule. As for re-applying, you can either wait 6 months and re-apply or change at least one thing of significance in your application. For most, that's the test. There are some other things, too, but the test is the lowest hanging fruit to tackle. A new, revised motivational statement will be needed and if you've changed/added any activities, you definitely want to update page 2 of your application.

Best of luck to you!

exNavyOffRec

@SJ-Sil80 Sorry about your frustration with your recruiter. I'll give you my 2 cents here and if history proves right, a few recruiters on here will be quick to correct me, whether they are correct or not. When it comes to your GPA, the way they did it is correct. It has to be a cumulative GPA from ALL sources. We have to get all transcripts post-high school and use their quality point scheme and then do a calculation with all transcripts to come up with a cumulative. Most often, this works against the applicant but it's the rule. As for re-applying, you can either wait 6 months and re-apply or change at least one thing of significance in your application. For most, that's the test. There are some other things, too, but the test is the lowest hanging fruit to tackle. A new, revised motivational statement will be needed and if you've changed/added any activities, you definitely want to update page 2 of your application.

Best of luck to you!

+1

exNavyOffRec

I have a question for some of the experienced recruiters. I believe part of the reason I was not selected in the last board is due to my recruiters change to my GPA on my application. I graduated from my university with a 3.64, it is what shows on my final official transcript. Years prior I attended a community college and had about a 2.8, which the credits transferred to my university, along with some military credits. The credits from the community college that were accepted are just considered transfer credits and accepted or not. He averaged together my old community college GPA and my graduating GPA and put down like a 3.13. Is this correct? I was lead to believe that if the school accepted my credits, then I finished at that school, my 3.64 that I finished with is what my GPA should be. I don't believe he is allowed to just average them together like that. I know if they are only looking at my application for 2 minutes they are probably going with what is on the applications and not looking through all of my transcripts.

He also informed me that I need to significantly change my package to submit for SWO again. I would like to take the OAR again and try to score higher, but other than that I honestly think my package is pretty solid, I have excellent recommendations and a 50 isn't too bad. He made it sound like he wont even resubmit my package unless I score significantly higher. He said I need to get another officer interview as well, which I will try to do.

Also whenever I bring up information that I have gotten from this website he dismisses it and says he doesn't follow anything on here and what anyone says here is mostly wrong. But from what I can tell, the people on here are much more experienced. I'm getting frustrated and would really like some advice. Thank you.

In what order did you apply for what designators?

XXXMM004

I'll make sure to go to synagogue for Weekend services the week prior to the board.
Just add some tips from my recrutier. You may also add 1-2 paragraph about some of your professional understandings of the supply field. Base on your opinion, what academic or social expericence, knowledge, and understanding can help the supply board and the Navy? what is your understanding of leadership? how would you combine them together to help the supply team?
Hope you will be selected in the next board.

goldmanharry91

Just add some tips from my recrutier. You may also add 1-2 paragraph about some of your professional understandings of the supply field. Base on your opinion, what academic or social expericence, knowledge, and understanding can help the supply board and the Navy? what is your understanding of leadership? how would you combine them together to help the supply team?
Hope you will be selected in the next board.

SUPPO was my #2 choice. I really want to be a SWO. I have a friend of mine who was a SWO and just got out of the service after 8 years. I consulted him before I submitted my packet. He really sold me on SWO and I after doing some of my own research I really was pretty set on SWO. He will be writing a LoR for me to add to my packet for the upcoming board.