• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-March 2016 Rolling SWO Board Thread

goldmanharry91

Clearly that sort of information is purely anecdotal. I don't know about the references for sure but I figure adding them will help irregardless. It's been almost a year since I got my previous references so I figured having some newer references would help, especially from prior servicemen.

I'm doing what I can to make sure I have a better packet. That's all I can do. Thanks for the encouragement @Chop07.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
I don't know about the references for sure but I figure adding them will help irregardless.
If they are that old, perhaps consider removing a few and adding current ones in there that have current dates on them. I agree with having references dated almost a year ago. That doesn't send a great message. Be sure to re-write your motivational statement, too, mentioning the reapplication and keep in mind the audience you're speaking to.

goldmanharry91

I only had four letters. I am removing the two that I deem least important.

I will probably revise a majority of my motivational statement to reflect why I am reapplying despite my non-selection. That was something I knew had to be done. I'm just taking things step by step at the moment. @Chop07, what are you suggesting when you say "keep in mind the audience you are speaking to." Are you suggesting the members of the board will be different or that I am "appealing" to a group that has already seen my package?

Chop07

what are you suggesting when you say "keep in mind the audience you are speaking to." Are you suggesting the members of the board will be different or that I am "appealing" to a group that has already seen my package?
Whenever I give advice on the motivational statement, I suggest that you write TO the board. For the Supply Corps, for example, you're speaking to senior Supply Officers who are seeking their future replacements...to be "one of them." Write your statement as if they were in the room and you were selling yourself to them on why you should be selected. I advise to keep it personal, to the point, 2-4 paragraphs, and make it clear why you want to lead and serve as a Naval Officer. No need to spew your resume out, but make it clear. This requires knowing what it is you're applying for, of course, so you need to have read a lot about it so you sound educated on it.

Bottom Line: it's your one chance to bring it home during this "interview" for a job. They're across the table from you trying to figure out what to do...hire or not. What do you say?

goldmanharry91

Whenever I give advice on the motivational statement, I suggest that you write TO the board. For the Supply Corps, for example, you're speaking to senior Supply Officers who are seeking their future replacements...to be "one of them." Write your statement as if they were in the room and you were selling yourself to them on why you should be selected. I advise to keep it personal, to the point, 2-4 paragraphs, and make it clear why you want to lead and serve as a Naval Officer. No need to spew your resume out, but make it clear. This requires knowing what it is you're applying for, of course, so you need to have read a lot about it so you sound educated on it.

Bottom Line: it's your one chance to bring it home during this "interview" for a job. They're across the table from you trying to figure out what to do...hire or not. What do you say?

This is great advice. I am saving this to read from when I am revising my motivational statement. Thank you.

zack13usa

Well said

kaybee

I also believe in prayers. Regardless of what people say, I believe it works. My package did not match up to what others had but I still received a "Y " in the Dec SWO board.

goldmanharry91

I also believe in prayers. Regardless of what people say, I believe it works. My package did not match up to what others had but I still received a "Y " in the Dec SWO board.

I'll make sure to go to synagogue for Weekend services the week prior to the board.

exNavyOffRec

When one of the Captains at NRC came for a visit and we asked questions he said the exact opposite (for AD), they are looking for those that want to serve and if you apply to multiple designators that will send a signal to the board that you are only looking for one specific thing.

If a person is only applying for one designator then not a big deal.

exNavyOffRec

Just be careful believing what everyone says because it's all just opinion. We/you never know for sure what steers them in each direction and as mentioned above, the board's makeup can change board to board, along with how many they need to select. If more are needed, then the threshold for what they'll accept gets better. IMHO, a 50 or above will bode well for you. As for the character references, I don't think they even read them for SWO...but again, that's just my opinion. Hard to imagine they do when they hold the entire board in one single workday. I think they scan the OAR, GPA, look for any waivers and glance at the application for anything that pops out...good or bad.

Keep your head up, study hard, and go get it next time.

I agree, we were always told when it comes to moral waivers there are 2 things that the board considers, the lower the offense and the more time that has passed since it occurred

exNavyOffRec

Are you suggesting the members of the board will be different or that I am "appealing" to a group that has already seen my package?

Depends on the designator for one, but for the smaller designators it is more possible, the smaller designators also can do things that other may consider odd, for instance for several boards Supply would Pro N anyone with any moral waivers, but Pilot/NFO/SWO had no issue with them, this just goes to the fact that the smaller designators can be very picky.

zack13usa

When one of the Captains at NRC came for a visit and we asked questions he said the exact opposite (for AD), they are looking for those that want to serve and if you apply to multiple designators that will send a signal to the board that you are only looking for one specific thing.

Thanks for sharing this NavyOffRec...I don't think I got it though, still not sure which will serve the applicant better? applying for one vs. multiple designators

Xx_Lawdog_xX

Count me in on this board. Although, it's cutting it close. I have orders to Germany and will probably be leaving around May if I'm not selected. Last chance!

Chop07

I guess I should have said: "Use common sense." Yes, if applying to multiple communities, you shouldn't pigeon hole yourself into one via the motivational statement.