• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-Mar 2016 Rolling Pilot/NFO Board

Brook

Did you go get a second opinion with an eye doc? I know the navy has 3 different depth tests you can take. I'm not quite sure about what nami will allow.... but if it's those damn circles again i'm fucked.

I have taken all of the tests that the navy allows and I most assuredly am "depth blind" at least as far as the navy is concerned.

Dougo

I'm glad I passed MEPS for the other eye tests but I still am iffy with one of the eye tests. I'm going to make a thread about it shortly. From what I've read, the flight physical at OCS is excruciating for any eye issues.
sorry to hear about your recruiter pushing you towards something you didn't want.

I just had a Class 1 Flight Physical and let me tell you it is crazy the amount of eye tests they put you through... but fortunately enough I had no issues. e ready to get your eyes dilated. and have a rad set of shades on for the rest of the day!

HannahMM

Did you go get a second opinion with an eye doc? I know the navy has 3 different depth tests you can take. I'm not quite sure about what nami will allow.... but if it's those damn circles again i'm fucked.
I was warned about the circles by some pilot friends going in. What they told me to do, and what got me a perfect score for depth, is you put your face up to the box and close your eyes really hard, when you open your eyes one of the circles pops out at you really substantially. Because they don't time you on this, you can essentially try it as many times as you want on each row.

SWOMan

i've been told this as well. If they say you failed, demand one of the other tests as well. Don't let them boot without a try.

Gabriel Pramik

sorry to hear about your recruiter pushing you towards something you didn't want.

I just had a Class 1 Flight Physical and let me tell you it is crazy the amount of eye tests they put you through... but fortunately enough I had no issues. e ready to get your eyes dilated. and have a rad set of shades on for the rest of the day!
I second that. I did the flight physical and eye test and it took like 45 mins and then he dilated my pupils even tho I had 20/10 vision. Kinda annoying. NFO is a great job though. Good luck to you all.

Igloojam

pilot
i've been told this as well. If they say you failed, demand one of the other tests as well. Don't let them boot without a try.

Thats why I'm showing up with all the documents from my optometrist

I was warned about the circles by some pilot friends going in. What they told me to do, and what got me a perfect score for depth, is you put your face up to the box and close your eyes really hard, when you open your eyes one of the circles pops out at you really substantially. Because they don't time you on this, you can essentially try it as many times as you want on each row.
Did not know that... interesting...

Dougo

Thats why I'm showing up with all the documents from my optometrist

Did not know that... interesting...
I've read that, that's a fallacy... you should look at it for a while because depth perception isn't really an eye issue like reading letters from a distance. Yes we use our eyes to interpret what we are looking at. However, when it comes to interpreting depth... it is more of a neurological issue. at being said is key to focus the circles until ones brain can process the image and differentiate one from another...

my two cents...

Igloojam

pilot
I've read that, that's a fallacy... you should look at it for a while because given that depth perception isn't really an eye issue. Yes we use our eyes to interpret what we are looking at. However, when it comes to interpreting depth... it is more of a neurological issue. at being said is key to focus the circles until ones brain can process the image and differentiate one from another...

my two cents...

My roommate is an optometrist. No bullshit. He said it absolutely is an eye issue... If your eyes aren't the same refractively, you essentially have two differing focal point distances, thus less than optimal stereopsis. The reason we have two eyes (binocular vision) as humans is an evolutionary advantage so that we can discern distances of various objects in a wide field of view. Forgive the nerdyness.

I guess this now opens the thread to Ask the Optometrist lol.

KORhc

And I thought the Chair Force was bad with their flight physicals....even the Navy finds the smallest reasons to cut you off the chopping block.

Armitage

My roommate is an optometrist. No bullshit. He said it absolutely is an eye issue... If your eyes aren't the same refractively, you essentially have two differing focal point distances, thus less than optimal stereopsis. The reason we have two eyes (binocular vision) as humans is an evolutionary advantage so that we can discern distances of various objects in a wide field of view. Forgive the nerdyness.

Well shit if it's open now I'll take advantage haha.

If our depth perception is kind of borderline is there any way to improve it over time? Also besides just looking at them for a while is there anything you can do while you're taking the test to improve your scores?

Thanks for your time

SWOMan

If our depth perception is kind of borderline is there any way to improve it over time? Also besides just looking at them for a while is there anything you can do while you're taking the test to improve your scores?

Thanks for your time
drink lots of water, eat lots of carrots

Dougo

Needed good sir! This has just turned interesting! Well I l agree with you and the logic behind your thought. However, my XO is a Neurologist and he told me that... I guess they both play into each other.

Or perhaps Neurologist and Optometrist hate each other and want to have I'm at stereopsis.

I quit must be another thread for this! Nevertheless, I it wonderful to think that peoples futures have been decided today and tomorrow they take a second whack at it!

Igloojam

pilot

Thanks for your time

He said prescription glasses from a younger age will always be the best route. He doesn't know specifics about your eyes so he can't say what would help and what wont. He only administers the stereonet-randot test and says the Verhoff test is out of date. He didn't even learn it in DO school. He did my randot test and passed me with 25 sec arc... The lowest(perfect) being 20 sec arc. The navy standard is anything better than 40 sec arc...

We discussed it some more and he says its possible that blinking and waiting for it to pop out might work only because blinking resets your focus. He tells his patients to blink when they are struggling.