• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-Mar 2016 Rolling Pilot/NFO Board

JjayL5045

why would he? isn't navy pay slightly better than marine corp? better planes. better life.

pretty sure everyone gets paid the same.....DOD wise.

And no, just looking into different options.

Basically this is what happened.

(was aiming for a ground contract)
Wednesday: Aviation slot opened up right before board. got the call asking if i wanted it. said yes. was told to take the ASTB on friday.
Friday: ASTB
Sunday: drove out to NAMI for Flight physical.

Igloojam

pilot
When you DOR, they wrote you a page-11. Unless Marine OCS has some weird form they do this for any school. A page 11 is an official counseling. Basically your batt co/xo probably sat you down with the gunny or master sergeant and said this meeting is because your DORing. In the page 11 they put all the details of your DOR and their recommendation moving forward. That page 11 is then attached with another form saying you're being Early Separated (ESEP) and the details/reasons will be on the page 11.

Do you have those forms? Or a form listing all that?

@jlayL5045

Igloojam

pilot
why would he? isn't navy pay slightly better than marine corp? better planes. better life.

All pay is the same... regardless of branch

pretty sure everyone gets paid the same.....DOD wise.

And no, just looking into different options.

Basically this is what happened.

(was aiming for a ground contract)
Wednesday: Aviation slot opened up right before board. got the call asking if i wanted it. said yes. was told to take the ASTB on friday.
Friday: ASTB
Sunday: drove out to NAMI for Flight physical.

pro-tip... if you want grounded and got a call last minute asking if you wanted aviation... stick with ground... there was someone else out there who probably wanted that seat more than you. You dig?

JjayL5045

When you DOR, they wrote you a page-11. Unless Marine OCS has some weird form they do this for any school. A page 11 is an official counseling. Basically your batt co/xo probably sat you down with the gunny or master sergeant and said this meeting is because your DORing. In the page 11 they put all the details of your DOR and their recommendation moving forward. That page 11 is then attached with another form saying you're being Early Separated (ESEP) and the details/reasons will be on the page 11.

Do you have those forms? Or a form listing all that?

@jlayL5045

If you mean the forms saying I DOR'd with the recommendation to reapply, yes. It says it in our orders they give us upon leaving OCS>

JjayL5045

All pay is the same... regardless of branch

pro-tip... if you want grounded and got a call last minute asking if you wanted aviation... stick with ground... there was someone else out there who probably wanted that seat more than you. You dig?

yeah, totally get ur point man. At the time, I didn't even know I was eligible for Air contract. Thats why I was "aiming" for ground. didnt think i had the eyesight for it. thought that was my only option.

Brook

what were the other 2 scores like brook? i' guessing you took them during your time in college, or have you been trying to apply for over 2 years now?

I took it pretty much simultaneously the first two times and did not study much between the first and second attempts. I decided I really wanted to make the Navy my life goal so I put A LOT of study effort into the final attempt and got a good score.

First score was 56 5/5/6
Second was 58 5/4/6....oops

SWOMan

Did you ever apply? you probably could have gotten in with your first score and been in a great position. I'm surprised they weren't begging you to sign up for intel. What made you chose NFO over pilot, just curious?

Igloojam

pilot
I took it pretty much simultaneously the first two times and did not study much between the first and second attempts. I decided I really wanted to make the Navy my life goal so I put A LOT of study effort into the final attempt and got a good score.

First score was 56 5/5/6
Second was 58 5/4/6....oops

And that folks is why I'm scared to retake... first score good, second score uh oh... good on you though to blow it out of the park.

SWOMan

if we dont' have results by friday... is it appropriate to spend all weekend in my underwear eating pizza and watching top gun until monday?

Brook

Did you ever apply? you probably could have gotten in with your first score and been in a great position. I'm surprised they weren't begging you to sign up for intel. What made you chose NFO over pilot, just curious?
No. I was told at the time that my scores were not competitive enough for NFO. My OR at the time wanted me to go supply or intel so recommended I retake the test for the third time even though I never really wanted to go any designator other than NFO.

What made you chose NFO over pilot

Depth perception :(

No. I was told at the time that my scores were not competitive enough for NFO. My OR at the time wanted me to go supply or intel so recommended I retake the test for the third time even though I never really wanted to go any designator other than NFO.

Im in the same boat. I would love to be a pilot if my vision was up to par. I feel your pain.

Igloojam

pilot
Im in the same boat. I would love to be a pilot if my vision was up to par. I feel your pain.

Ya I had to get a waiver for my eyes... Meps said no, but Optometrist said yes.

Brook

Ya I had to get a waiver for my eyes... Meps said no, but Optometrist said yes.

I'm glad I passed MEPS for the other eye tests but I still am iffy with one of the eye tests. I'm going to make a thread about it shortly. From what I've read, the flight physical at OCS is excruciating for any eye issues.

SWOMan

I'm glad I passed MEPS for the other eye tests but I still am iffy with one of the eye tests. I'm going to make a thread about it shortly. From what I've read, the flight physical at OCS is excruciating for any eye issues.
Did you go get a second opinion with an eye doc? I know the navy has 3 different depth tests you can take. I'm not quite sure about what nami will allow.... but if it's those damn circles again i'm fucked.