• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-Mar 2016 Rolling Pilot/NFO Board

Igloojam

pilot
Random question: anyone else have to sign a swim letter because they checked the box that they didn't know how to tie their uniform up to make a flotation device or something like that? Thought that was unusual because it has nothing to do with swimming ability.

Yes it does... Its part of the water survival test that the Navy/MC does... As an infantry-type in a recon unit... knowing how to take your pants off, fill with air, and tie them around your neck is a critical skill... God forbid the bird goes down, you break a leg, and can't tread... The ocean is the most unforgiving force of nature... I would bet the only other dude in this thread that can back me up on this one is the SAR guy @Gabriel Pramik

Dougo

Yes it does... Its part of the water survival test that the Navy/MC does... As an infantry-type in a recon unit... knowing how to take your pants off, fill with air, and tie them around your neck is a critical skill... God forbid the bird goes down, you break a leg, and can't tread... The ocean is the most unforgiving force of nature... I would bet the only other dude in this thread that can back me up on this one is the SAR guy @Gabriel Pramik
I have been through SERE, And can confirm that it is an essential skill to have.

Gabriel Pramik

Yes I would have to agree especially when your flying 100 NMs away from MOM (mother ship) in the middle of the ocean. It could save your life if you went down. As for SERE school that was worse for me than a week of buds. Brunswick Maine in February with 4 feet of snow was not fun. Glad I don't have to do that again.

akblack1989

Yes i definitely assumed it was useful. Just thought it would be highly unlikely that most civilians would know that. Therefore unusual to group it with being able to swim 50 feet etc.