• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-Mar 2016 Rolling Pilot/NFO Board

Noah G. Smith

See, I think there comes a point for every individual where studying is diminishing returns... Yes a refresher is important in the subjects if you've been out of touch for years... And yes you can study for the pilot specific questions like which running light on the wings is blah blah blah... but with regards to the OAR stuff... Its mental dexterity... Either you know it / you don't know it / or the question has peaked your intellectual comprehension...

With your scores, I don't think re-taking the test after hardcore studying would do you much better. You have great scores I think. God forbid you retake it and somehow do worse you know? At least thats my philosophy.

I think retaking only applies when you just completely bomb the thing. Think of it like losing weight... The bigger you are the more you have to lose... hope that makes sense folks...
You're absolutrly right. There is a point in which studying becomes less beneficial. However, the way I see it, becoming a naval aviator is exactly what I want to do with my life. So I will spend those extra hours studying so that I get even just one more question correct. Making my packet as competitive as possible is my goal. Now with that said, I'm definitely not going to take the ASTB again since I don't want to somehow do worse and let that score replace my current one.

A.H.

"Billy the Kid"
So as of last week I'm officially in the holding pattern for the board. Talked to a processor and supposedly the board is on the 24th, with the cut off for packages this week. That's coming from the Fleet Processor, but of course they he may be misinformed. One of my buddies in waiting for his AMDO board on the 22nd, so hopefully we both make it and head to OCS together!

Igloojam

pilot
You're absolutrly right. There is a point in which studying becomes less beneficial. However, the way I see it, becoming a naval aviator is exactly what I want to do with my life. So I will spend those extra hours studying so that I get even just one more question correct. Making my packet as competitive as possible is my goal. Now with that said, I'm definitely not going to take the ASTB again since I don't want to somehow do worse and let that score replace my current one.

ya my thoughts exactly... I could probably do better, but by how much and at what risk?

TravisH

Navy2017
So as of last week I'm officially in the holding pattern for the board. Talked to a processor and supposedly the board is on the 24th, with the cut off for packages this week. That's coming from the Fleet Processor, but of course they he may be misinformed. One of my buddies in waiting for his AMDO board on the 22nd, so hopefully we both make it and head to OCS together!

Please sweet baby Jesus be correct

Noah G. Smith

One reason I'm skeptical of this info is that my recruiter told me packages had to be in at least 30 days before the convening of the board to be reviewed. Not sure if it's true, but was what I was told.

A.H.

"Billy the Kid"
Maybe different rules when packages come from the civilian side compared to the fleet?

Dougo

One reason I'm skeptical of this info is that my recruiter told me packages had to be in at least 30 days before the convening of the board to be reviewed. Not sure if it's true, but was what I was told.
Maybe its just a safety-net... Something like," if your 15 minutes early, you are late"...

Nevertheless, better safe than sorry when it comes to submitting a package on time!

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The last board was on 1 Dec, packages were due 12 Nov. However the previous board had no announcement of the board date itself, let alone when packages were due. So it's not really possible to game the system, the most you can do is make sure everything on your end is in order and hurry up and wait from there.

Igloojam

pilot
Whenever the board does meet, how much longer is it usually until OCS departure if you get a yes?

I'd say like 3-5 months... Then again, my processor is saying they are going to ask for a sooner date.

I may be wrong but you could have some say over date... for example I have a baby coming in May, and so to avoid having to take convalescent leave in OCS I'd just leave after my boy shows up.

Dougo

I'd say like 3-5 months... Then again, my processor is saying they are going to ask for a sooner date.

I may be wrong but you could have some say over date... for example I have a baby coming in May, and so to avoid having to take convalescent leave in OCS I'd just leave after my boy shows up.
Congrats brother!!!!

I Hope we do have a say and you can be there for your boy!

AUSWO1316

LVideo89
I was asked when I could leave, and I responded that March was the earliest due to job related things. I am headed to OCS on March 27th, and I was selected for NFO in the December board.

romoth

No one ever asked me when I was available to leave, Pro Rec Y SNA December board. Is this something I should reach out to my OR and follow up on?

AUSWO1316

LVideo89
No one ever asked me when I was available to leave, Pro Rec Y SNA December board. Is this something I should reach out to my OR and follow up on?
Not necessarily. I was upfront that I had commitments at my current job, and if I left early my current staff would be left scrambling during an extremely busy part of the year. Not that my leaving in March will be any different lol. It was something I had asked about and my recruiter has been really good about working around.