• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-Mar 2016 Rolling Pilot/NFO Board

Noah G. Smith

May I ask what your previous scores were first time through?
I only took the test once actually. however, there were mutliple questions that I would definitely not have known (on every section of the test) unless I had studied. One ASTB question that pops into my head was one that asked "what horsepower is considered a high powered engine?" The study guide I used literally had that exact flash card on it.

shoff

I only took the test once actually. however, there were mutliple questions that I would definitely not have known (on every section of the test) unless I had studied. One ASTB question that pops into my head was one that asked "what horsepower is considered a high powered engine?" The study guide I used literally had that exact flash card on it.

I'm with Noah here. Definitely study for the ASTB. Only took it once as well, but would have done nowhere near as well without the time I put in. All the gouge on here was hugely helpful, particularly for the math/physics, which I hadn't really done in years. Get a book or two, read through everything you can find here, spend a little time on Khan Academy for anything that doesn't make sense. It'll get you through. Happy to point you in the right direction/send you some stuff if you need more direction. I'm sure I still have my study notes around somewhere

exNavyOffRec

You can and definitely should study for the ASTB. I wouldn't have done near as well if I had not studied my ass off

There are certain parts you can study for but it is an aptitude test, and it is adaptive, so it finds what your knowledge level is and that is your score.

Noah G. Smith

I'm with Noah here. Definitely study for the ASTB. Only took it once as well, but would have done nowhere near as well without the time I put in. All the gouge on here was hugely helpful, particularly for the math/physics, which I hadn't really done in years. Get a book or two, read through everything you can find here, spend a little time on Khan Academy for anything that doesn't make sense. It'll get you through. Happy to point you in the right direction/send you some stuff if you need more direction. I'm sure I still have my study notes around somewhere
THIS! Don't just use the ASTB study guides, but also other resources like khan academy and Google!

Igloojam

pilot

See, I think there comes a point for every individual where studying is diminishing returns... Yes a refresher is important in the subjects if you've been out of touch for years... And yes you can study for the pilot specific questions like which running light on the wings is blah blah blah... but with regards to the OAR stuff... Its mental dexterity... Either you know it / you don't know it / or the question has peaked your intellectual comprehension...

With your scores, I don't think re-taking the test after hardcore studying would do you much better. You have great scores I think. God forbid you retake it and somehow do worse you know? At least thats my philosophy.

I think retaking only applies when you just completely bomb the thing. Think of it like losing weight... The bigger you are the more you have to lose... hope that makes sense folks...