• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feb-Mar 2016 Rolling Pilot/NFO Board

akblack1989

1. experience
2. forget the bell curve, I can tell you from experience of the hundreds of people I saw at my NRD take the ASTB (OCS and NROTC) only a handful had scores less than 5, most were 7's and above, I will adjust my original statement, your 7 is average and the 6's are low, remember that 5 is minimum so 2 of your scores are just above the minimum, you may end up going to one of the boards where they have a 90 some percent selection rate and be just fine, I would continue to study to be ready for a re-take, better to be ready to go again when you can instead of waiting to see and then scrambling.
Thanks for the info

exNavyOffRec

well then.... now i feel great about my chances......

people here tell it like it is, I can't tell you how many people that just meet the minimum get told "you are a great candidate", my thoughts are you are an adult and should be treated as such, a person getting told "sure thing" and then getting a "N" is going to take it harder than a person that gets told they have 50/50 chances and then gets a "N", being honest also gives a better path for the recruiter to say, if you are a "N" what do you want to do and have them work on that plan.

SWOMan

well if i'm not picked up for anything, i'm planning to enlist. Any chance of moving from enlistment contract to ocs/ pilot slot?

KORhc

From what everyone else says, it is very very very very hard, which even that is an understatement. If you want to become an officer, it is much easier to become one via the civilian route.

If your astb is average and your gpa is low. You better make damn sure you write a hell of a good personal statement.

SWOMan

From what everyone else says, it is very very very very hard, which even that is an understatement. If you want to become an officer, it is much easier to become one via the civilian route.

If your astb is average and your gpa is low. You better make damn sure you write a hell of a good personal statement.
Or have amazing letters of rec. My only concern as of right now is that I never mentioned aviation in my statement of purpose. Really focused on the whole officer side of things and my leadership characteristics.

BravoMyles

Applicant
people here tell it like it is, I can't tell you how many people that just meet the minimum get told "you are a great candidate", my thoughts are you are an adult and should be treated as such, a person getting told "sure thing" and then getting a "N" is going to take it harder than a person that gets told they have 50/50 chances and then gets a "N", being honest also gives a better path for the recruiter to say, if you are a "N" what do you want to do and have them work on that plan.

I like the honesty. My OR said about the same thing with the "great candidate" stuff. He said that with my flight hours and ASTB I should be golden, but I understand completely that it is not a guarantee by any means. As it stands, I'm having to focus on studying for my CFI checkride in February to finish up my undergrad, so I don't have much time between that and work to retake. That being the case, I'm staying optimistic that he's right, but if I'm not selected this time around I'll start working towards retaking the ASTB and upping my chances even more.

Unfortunately with the CFI checkride coming up so soon, I'm just gonna have to sit my current scores and see how it goes.

No one knows the chances of being selected and it's not worth sugar coating, we all know there's the chance we won't make it and have to accept it.

Checking in! SNFO applicant. ASTB: 55, 6, 7, 7. 2 years active duty Air Force. 3.6 GPA Political Science. Currently pursuing MBA with a 3.5 GPA.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
well if i'm not picked up for anything, i'm planning to enlist. Any chance of moving from enlistment contract to ocs/ pilot slot?

You can double dip, meaning your Boot Camp date is on hold until Pilot/NFO results are out. You cannot and will not go to Boot Camp until results of the Pilot/NFO board come out.

Aspiring NFO

CNRC told me this afternoon, the board may be in late February or early March. The deadline to submit has not been released.

SWOMan

CNRC told me this afternoon, the board may be in late February or early March. The deadline to submit has not been released.
if you read through last years feb post, there was a ton of miscommunication. No one knew what the date was, and all of a sudden they had a feb 3rd selection board. Would be awesome if that happened again.

speedroller

Rangers
if you read through last years feb post, there was a ton of miscommunication. No one knew what the date was, and all of a sudden they had a feb 3rd selection board. Would be awesome if that happened again.
Similar situation happened to the last September board.

Los_23

How accurate is this? Sorry to chime in, but I am active duty Navy in the process of finishing my degree. I should be done by the end of this year with my BS in Aeronautics and don't know if I should re-up enlisted if I don't get picked up before my contract ends or if I should get out and try to come back in via an OR.

exNavyOffRec

How accurate is this? Sorry to chime in, but I am active duty Navy in the process of finishing my degree. I should be done by the end of this year with my BS in Aeronautics and don't know if I should re-up enlisted if I don't get picked up before my contract ends or if I should get out and try to come back in via an OR.

you have more hoops to go through to get to board, but when you get to board it is all about who has the best stats, if you figure out how to navigate the system you should be fine.

don't put SWO 3rd, it won't be seen by the board