• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

fear

lucian_boy

am enlisted navy stationed with the mighty vfa-15 valions from nas oceana.i took a back side on in a mentor out in fallan and it i was my first time. i was scared and uncomfortable most of the flight and i puked. i have a little fear of hieght and i think that is why i was uncomfortable, but i really want to fight this fear cause i really want to fly. i was wondering if there was anyone who ever beat their fear of heights while in training and achieved their dream as a pilot.

ps.. i just want to say that i really like this site, it has given me so much motivation and info. i just want to tell the managers of this site that they are doing a good job for wanna be aviators.

:eek: :confused: :icon_smil

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Man, don't be so hard on yourself. Many, many people have puked on their first few flights. The entire flight school system is based on the "crawl, walk, run" method. The flight that you went on was probably somewhere in the "run" phase. No wonder you were scared. Trust me, 90% of flying is mental and the other 10% comes with experience and working on "monkey skills". You'll be fine. Don't let a little fear (that will go away once you learn what the hell is going on around you) stop you from going after your dream. Good luck!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
Man, don't be so hard on yourself. Many, many people have puked on their first few flights. The entire flight school system is based on the "crawl, walk, run" method. The flight that you went on was probably somewhere in the "run" phase. No wonder you were scared. Trust me, 90% of flying is mental and the other 10% comes with experience and working on "monkey skills". You'll be fine. Don't let a little fear (that will go away once you learn what the hell is going on around you) stop you from going after your dream. Good luck!

Concur, I had a compadre that threw up on every flight, but stuck it out and eventually retired as a commander. Some folks get over it quickly, some take a bit longer. Just got to want it and conquer your fear. Since you are at Oceana, why not get up to Busch Gardens and ride all the wild rides until you are used to being upside down and up high.

Dhc2tacksby

I hate to be so straight forward, but you made it up right? And you made it down safely.

I used to fly with some guys that were affraid of heights. I don't know what they did, but they over came it, and are now regional First Officers and Captains.

Perhaps they could inspire you.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Got sick and are scared of heights? Lots of folks do. As a medical guy, we are in flight school for a set period of time. I was lucky enough to solo during my 8 week stay. I got sick my first flight. My instructor was laughing....I asked him why. He told me that he got sick each of his first 8 flights. It happens, especially if you are not acclimated to the effects of flight. If I happen to be lucky enough to snag a back seat Hornet ride, I always ask the pilot if I can get some stick time right away...seems to get rid of the sick feeling.

I won't say that I am afraid of heights; only that I am not real fond of them. I don't like getting close to the edge of a balcony or climbing down from a tall ladder.....But, flying is not a problem for me. Hanging from a litter basket beneath a Huey has never been a bother. I fell asleep once while strapped in a litter basket. Tried falling asleep in a rescue strop, but the sob's tea bagged me in a lake.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
While I haven't gone through Navy flight school yet (fingers crossed):D I have been working on my private pilots license. I think alot of it has to do with being in control, as has already been mentioned. Think about whether you have ever gotten car sick... then think if you have ever gotten car sick while driving...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
While I haven't gone through Navy flight school yet (fingers crossed):D I have been working on my private pilots license. I think alot of it has to do with being in control, as has already been mentioned. Think about whether you have ever gotten car sick... then think if you have ever gotten car sick while driving...

That does make a big difference, but getting acclimatized (like getting sea legs) is a big part of feeling bad. The aeromed folks will lecture you on how your head and sense of balance works....believe me, anyone can get vertigo especially at night with head motion, whether you have hands on the controls or not...a lot of it has to do with the fluids in your head and brain getting cross wired with what you think is going via external reference like instruments or horizon cue and what the motion of the fluids are saying to your brain. Very likely that is what happened to JKF Jr.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
believe me, anyone can get vertigo

Vertigo sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks. I got some in the goo on an ILS, solo, in the T-45. Man my head was screwed up, and I didn't even have it that bad.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Vertigo sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks. I got some in the goo on an ILS, solo, in the T-45. Man my head was screwed up, and I didn't even have it that bad.

It sucks sooo bad that you aren't even allowed to say the word at the boat for fear it might trigger it in another cockpit

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
It sucks sooo bad that you aren't even allowed to say the word at the boat for fear it might trigger it in another cockpit

No kidding? Wow. Kinda like saying the "e-word"?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fly Navy said:

I don't know, Fly, that story sounds suspiciously like those stories the Learjet guys were telling from that other thread... I keed, I keed.

Concur w/ the above. I'm w/ Feddoc. I'm not real fond of heights, but when you're flying, it's completely different. Control definitely makes the difference.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I'm not real fond of heights, but when you're flying, it's completely different. Control definitely makes the difference.
I always rationalized the height thing with me wearing a seat belt. If I have a seatbelt, I can't fall out, right. :D

B

Blutonski816

gatordev said:
I'm not real fond of heights, but when you're flying, it's completely different. Control definitely makes the difference.

Seriously, When was the last time you heard of someone just ramdomly falling off an airplane, as opposed to people falling of tall buildings/ Geographic features??

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I would imagine that, for many, the fear of falling while "safely" strapped into an airplane is just as terrifying.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I wouldn't worry about the scary stuff. You'll get used to it. In fact, whatever probably almost made you crap yourself will probably be your most favorite thing. In Primary, I HATED aerobatics iin Primary, they made me puke like you wouldn' believe. I would be so anxious about it, that I would get sick in the g-warm....However, by the time I got to cruise-form at the end on Intermediate, it was awesome. The mind is a tricky thing, once you get used to flying, it will get better. Trust me, even sittin in the back of an E-2 with no windows while the pilot gets rudder happy still sends my stomach into knots, but I have slowly become acclimated to it. You will too. Just hang in there, bring puke bags (gallon size in my humble opinion), and keep fighting and you will do fine. Good luck!!