• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FBI vs. NFO/Pilot

If you were in your late 20's, FBI special agent or Naval Aviator/NFO?

• FBI Special Agent

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Naval Aviator

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • NFO

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

Enigma

Hypothetically speaking, if you were in your late 20's (25-29) and you had the opportunity to become an FBI Special Agent or become a Naval Aviator/NFO which would you choose? And why?

I know this is a biased forum, but I'm still curious of the general consensus. I asked this because both jobs are exciting/adventurous, are for the more younger folks, and have to do with serving your country in a sense.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hypothetically speaking, if you were in your late 20's (25-29) and you had the opportunity to become an FBI Special Agent or become a Naval Aviator/NFO which would you choose? And why?

I know this is a biased forum, but I'm still curious of the general consensus. I asked this because both jobs are exciting/adventurous, are for the more younger folks, and have to do with serving your country in a sense.

These “should I be a ___ job / attend ____ school or become a pilot” get asked and answered regularly here. Your situation is no different here.

Do the research, what best suits your goals both short term and distant.

There’s no right or wrong answer here, it’s your life, not ours.

villo0692

I was actually in that boat before I went to OCS, I had offers from a couple three letter agencies and had gotten selected for Pilot. My train of thought, is that the FBI will be there when and if you get out of the Navy after your obligation. Cannot do it the other way around due to becoming an old fart and going past the 32yr old age cap

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

I know a few who have gone into the “dark side”. Into the FBI or CIA in their paramilitary positions. You can only get those positions with prior military AD service. They do have aviation slots available not just to be a pilot… A lot of pilots get their JTAC qual so essentially that qual can get you a high speed gig in those teams. They do “deploy” overseas into areas unknown and carry out top secret operations… stuff you will not find anywhere on the internet. Google CIA paramilitary officer and do your research on the fields in the CIA/FBI specifically for former military personnel

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd do Navy first. Opportunity for FBI (or other agencies) will still be there later. I know a couple guys that worked this process coming from the WSO/NFO side. Sounds like a pretty cool career progression to me, with the ability to meaningfully serve for many years

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I'd do Navy first. Opportunity for FBI (or other agencies) will still be there later. I know a couple guys that worked this process coming from the WSO/NFO side. Sounds like a pretty cool career progression to me, with the ability to meaningfully serve for many years

Did they go paramilitary? Keep in mind also the CIA especially for counter intelligence ops works very closely with seals…

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Extremely different jobs.
If you’re worried about missing out on flying, there’s opportunities to do that in the FBI.
You can also do the SA/ANG combo and do both that way.

GroundPounder

I would suggest that you go find a current FBI agent and get a good feel for what they do on a day to day basis. Their job as depicted in entertainment media and the reality of an working as an average case agent might help you make your decision. You will age out of the Naval Aviation opportunity relatively quickly, while you have many years left to go to Quantico.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Don't overlook the fact that all three of these jobs are hard to get. They're hard to get for a reason and each one possesses a certain amount of "suck" as well. But the "suck" is also the reward, if that makes sense. I only mention it because you're going to be working hard no matter which one you choose...no path of least resistance there.

I don't know anything about LEA/FBI. I'm sure there a few that can chime in regarding that path. Ignore the CIA discussion.

Pilot vs NFO. I can comment here, but my POV has changed significantly over the years. I enjoyed my time as a pilot, but it didn't go the way I thought it would. When I signed up I figured I'd be a Blue Angel and then onto the majors for a lifetime of exotic travel and money falling out of my pockets. As it turned out, I became a H-46 Helo-Bubba and that's about as far removed from the Blue Angels as you'll ever find. The cool thing is, flying Helos was awesome, my peer group was still exceptional (by and large...there's turds in every community), and the missions were great. 9/11 killed my airline dream and by the time it revitalized my civilian career was booming and my income was about 3X a senior airline captain anyway so I wasn't going to switch career gears again. None of the paths your talking about are prosperous. Which is to say, you'll be comfortable, but never rich. That's okay...the rewards for each of your options are unique to themselves and will still be worth your while.

Pilot vs NFO...I was pilot or bust when I signed up. I put Pilot on line number one and N/A on lines two and three. Just my mentality. I have a cousin who's in Super Hornets right now as an NFO. He started out as a Pilot and switched NFO because he didn't want the extra years on his commitment. My advice to him was to stay pilot if only for the follow on aviation career opportunities, but he couldn't get past it as he was already thinking about post Navy life the day after he got his commission. I told him that was totally fucked up(not the NFO part, the looking beyond the navy part) and he better focus on the first career that's immediately in front of him instead of the second one that isn't even a thought yet. Also, I told him don't sell the Navy short as you may wind up loving it. And that's exactly what happened. He loves the Navy and he loves being an NFO. He called me a couple years later and told me I was right. Yeah...no shit I'm right.

Anyway, you're going to be fine no matter which way you go. I read lots of detective novels and I think the LEA route would be pretty cool except you're almost always dealing with the shittiest part of humanity.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had several FBI agents in my reserve units, along with some NCIS and Customs folks too, and worked with DEA agents and as @GroundPounder already mentioned there is a big difference between Hollywood depictions and reality. That is not to say they didn't enjoy their jobs but it wasn't all cool cars, kicking down doors or shootouts. One guy was a cyber type and all he did was sit in an office, I think he did one arrest in the 3 years he was in our unit. He enjoyed his job but it certainly wasn't anything like what is thought of or depicted as what an FBI agent does.

Just be aware that there is also an age limit to enter most federal law enforcement, 37 for most, I think it was to do with making sure you get the 20 years needed by law before you hit mandatory retirement age at 57. I think that can be waived in some cases if you are transitioning from military service but I do not know the full details, I would ask the individual agencies for their policies on that when you cross that bridge.

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
"Figuring things out for yourself is one of the few freedoms we have left."

-Wayne Gretzky
giphy.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just be aware that there is also an age limit to enter most federal law enforcement, 37 for most, I think it was to do with making sure you get the 20 years needed by law before you hit mandatory retirement age at 57. I think that can be waived in some cases if you are transitioning from military service but I do not know the full details, I would ask the individual agencies for their policies on that when you cross that bridge.

They made some adjustments to the age. I'm not smart on how it applied to all agencies, but I believe CBP bought themselves more time because they desperately needed bodies. But even if you can't make 20, if you're coming into the Federal side from the military as a retiree, you'd still have your military pension (or TSP now) and then whatever you've been putting into the Federal side of TSP. Plus whatever tax implications you benefit from by checking the LE box on your 1040 (something I realized for the first time this year that I should have checked for the first-responder side. Oops, I guess maybe next year).

Well OP, you're asking this question on a board aimed at aviators....my wife is an agent and active-duty military, and I'd say most of these posts are correct about choosing aviation, but INCORRECT about the FBI. We spoke it about it over breakfast, and she's looking over my shoulder as I write this.

The military is awesome; it's a right of passage and despite the sh%$ talking between communities or services, you'll always have a bond with those who been there and done that. There's also a certain comradery when you pack up your stuff, leave your loved ones, and go live with a bunch of dudes (gender neutral use of the word) for six to eight months while crammed into a sleek grey merchant of death. All that stuff mentioned is true.

In the FBI, you get almost all the benefits of the military without so many of the downsides. When people say "be careful, FBI isn't like movies..." they're right, just like I imagine being an aviator isn't just like TOP GUN: Maverick; In the FBI you're given a gun, a car and good (not great, but good) technology and basically allowed to go run your own cases. As long as you get results, and barring a very-rare-jerk-supervisor, you'll be able conduct them however you see fit. For the most part you get weekends and nights off, but if you work them you're usually compensated with extra pay or another day off. The guy working the boring cyber job mentioned a few posts above? He's probably working really interesting casework and gets sick of people asking about the FBI, but even if he hates it, it's fairly easy to switch squads and start working gangs, or counterintelligence, or terrorism or anything else. You can reinvent yourself every few years if you like. Or let's say you don't love that cyber job, but you want the training for a post bureau career, there a million collateral duties you can do. These aren't "collateral duties" like Legal Officer or Bull Ensign, but things like SWAT, Evidence Response Team, Crisis Negotiation, firearms instructor, Undercover Employee, pilot and more. My wife thinks she's got the best job in the world, but often downplays it at cocktail parties or in her reserve unit. We have homesteaded in one city for almost 20 years, but if you want to move around or get to someplace cool you can certainly do that. Later in your career you can be stationed abroad at an embassy as part of the legal attache program.

If you go in the military first, the FBI will *probably* be there when you get out. The FBI likes to hire people with a little life experience, so if you're competitive now you'll likely be much more so after serving in the Navy. That said, in the 90s there were several hiring freezes, where people waited years to join, at which point the backlog made it much more competitive. It's been 20 years since the post 9/11 hiring boom, so that may happen again.

Military and cops have sort a special connection within the FBI, and my wife jokes that their main critical skill is being conditioned to deal with government BS; again, FBI-government BS is waaaaaaaaaaaay less than the Navy's BS. Most former-military people really enjoy being able to live outside of fleet concentration areas, have non-military friends, and be able to make their kids soccer games fairly consistently.

My wife did say that sometimes cops get frustrated with the job; it isn't going out patrolling looking to take a bite out of crime every day, but typically long-term investigations. That said, the guys she's thinking of have always ended up finding something that scratches that itch like full time SWAT, fugitive task force, or stuff like that. In 15+ years she can think of only three agents that have quit because they didn't like the job.

Going Navy first and then FBI: you'll take a slight pay cut initially, but after a few years you'll surpass your military pay. Your military time will count toward your annual leave; you'll probably start at 6hrs of leave every two weeks, then when you get to 15 years of military+FBI you'll get 8 hours. Leave on the civilian side is much more "friendly" however. It's almost never denied and when you don't have to use it day-for-day or over weekends, it goes further. She typically donates leave because she can't use it all. You can also buy back your military time, which essentially at retirement gets you 1% of your pay for every year of military service. As stated, the age limit for entry is 37 (so you can retire by the mandatory 57). During GWOT they allowed your deployed time in the military not to count, so you could get in a few years past 37 or something like that, but I'm not sure you can count on that option down the line.

Prior to 9/11 you couldn't be in the reserves, but the FBI relented and allowed it. My wife really enjoyed being able to put on the uniform, work with good people, and travel cool places....but the admin BS and micromanaging of the reserves killed her soul. Things like an exercise finishing three days early but not being able to fly home early without a mountain of paperwork, or endless reserve calls/email during the workday or family time in the evenings. Plus drill weekends were basically spent standing in line, submitting paperwork that had already been submitted and generally coming away frustrated. Her active duty time counts toward her FBI retirement though, *and* it counts toward her reserve retirement.

That was a long way of me saying that all three are great jobs, so search around, get lots of info, but know that you can't really make a bad choice here.