• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Far Sighted PRK?

NapalmRat

I took the eye exam for flight status and was found to be farsighted. I passed well enough for the NFO status, but not for pilot status. My OSOs tell me that PRK has a smaller success chance with far sighted people. I was wondering if anyone's had experiences with PRK that are far sighted. They also told me the way PRK works if I didn't have a successful PRK operation they wouldn't be able to correct my vision and I wouldn't be granted any flight status. On the cycolplegic (sp?) part of the test, I didn't do well at all, hence my NFO status instead of pilot, I was also wondering if PRK can correct that part to improve performance on the cyclo part.
Thx

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
That's odd. I've never heard that far-sighted PRK had a less chance of success. I'd go in for a consult and hear it from an optometrist that does the procedure rather than an OSO.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
From the literature I got from my doc when I went for PRK, its been used to treat farsightness for a lot less time than nearsightedness. The procedure is considered to be less reliable and slightly more experimental. Off the top of my head, the PRK waivers also allow for some degree of farsightedness correction (feddoc or someone else able to confirm this?) but the actual procedure itself is considered more risky in general. It falls into the category of people with extreme astigmatism or nearsightedness worse than -6 diopters or so, in that nothing is impossible, but it IS that much more difficult to get just right.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
It may also depend on how much cornea you actually have to play with. I was nearly blind (nearsighted--I think I was -5.5 diopters in one eye and -5.25 diopters in the other eye) and I can actually feel the difference in the shape of my eye if I touch it through my eyelid. I had a lot of cornea to burn through. I'd guess that farsighted guys might have a thinner cornea, so they'd have to recontour the eye to make it more curved and it might not work that well if there's not enough material. Just my $0.02.