• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Family Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravis856

I was talking to my recruiter the other day and one of the issues that came up was long term commitment with family, stability, etc. Things like that.

He told me of some program that an officer can stay at one of 5-6 major navy bases(I think he mentioned Norfolk, Hawaii, and a few others) for life. He told me that you could literally buy a house there, and continue to rotate in that one area, and live there your entire time, leaving only for deployments. How does this program work?

What is life/family life for aviators? Are you constantly being moved around? How long do you generally deploy for?

I'm trying to get as much all-around info as possible since the better quality of life the AF has is pulling me. Any help/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

apendle

Well how its works in the navy is based on what they call a sea/shore
rotation. I am prior enlisted so I know some about this. Basiclly, every 3 to 4 years you have to change commands. In the navy you rotate between sea
deployment commands (ship or squadron) and then a shore command (base.)
Now in the larger navy cities (San Diego, Hawaii, Norfolk. etc.)there are always billets opening up there because the area is so large and heavily populated with navy personnel. There is no program to assure you stay in the same area, but the odds are pretty good that if you want to stay in say San Diego your whole career you could, I've known lots of guys who have done that. I'm pretty sure that is what your recruiter meant. The navy
will try to give you the location you want but nothing is guarenteed.
Actually to get into more detail, after your time is up at a command you
contact what they call a "detailer" he/she tells you what locations and duties are open. Alot of the times the places I mentioned before are always
open to take a billet for. I hope that answers your question. Take care.

apendle

Here's the 2nd part of my reply, I my self am a aviator candidate and as
far as I am concerned the quality of life is better in the Navy. Maybe I am
biased here but in the Navy you get to travel to wonderful places and get stationed on coastal cities. In the Air Force you could end up in the middle of the desert somewhere in the interior of The U.S. I'm not knockin the AF, I looked into it once, but for me the navy offers so much to your lifestyle. Quality of life I guess is in the eye of the beholder, but for
me I'd rather be flying planes in Pearl Harbor or San Diego and kickin back on the beach afterwards, then being stuck in the middle of nowhere.
It's also personal choice, but I Think the navy offers much more excitement. apendle@netscape.net

apendle

P.S. the Air Force deploys as well, sometimes longer than the navy does.
Just something to think about.

Mike26

The quality of life is still better in the AF, maybe not all the time, but most of the time, depending on your job you will travel all over the world and to some pretty amazing places at that, but instead of hot bunking on a ship you will be staying in a motel with a rental car. Something to think about.
But there are also jobs where you won't go anywhere. As for deploying for more than six months, that rarely happens, unless we are are at war, which is quite a bit lately. MOST flyers never deploy more that four consecutive months, though their total time away from home during the year my add up to 180 days or more. The AF has base in HI too.

jlinscott

I thought Hickam AFB didn't have any squadrons anymore. Is this true? Also, what is the situation with aviation in Hawaii now? I was stationed there about 5 years ago and there were about 5 P-3 squadrons out at Barber's Point NAS. I heard that all the P-3 Squadrons moved to Kaneohe MCAS on the windward side, and the Navy and MC share the airstripe there. Are there any other squadrons in Hawaii for the Navy?

_jason

savingthisone

Think Nuclear submarines. Only a few, high density bases. Kings Point, Groton, Hawaii, Guam (building up). Sure you have rotation, but it is stable, very close knit society. For the boomers, three months out, three months in. Good pay. Great service. Large contribution to the nation. Should consider it.

Mike26

Hickham no longer has any active duty AF flying squadrons, the Guard or Reserves fly KC135s, C130s and F15s. A lot of active duty flyers pull there staff tours there as it is the HQ for Pacific Airforce Command

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And yes, the Navy is still flying here in HI. There's 4 P-3 squadrons and one HSL squadron at K-Bay, along w/ the -53s from the Marines.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
i have a question. how hard is it to get stationed at Lemoore for hornet drivers? I know thats a big hornet base, but Im not sure on exactly how easy it is to get stationed there. I would love to be able to go Jets in the pipeline and to even get hornets, but I would also like to be back in California when its over. Im not worrying about it or anything...i was just kind of curious.

HornetDrvr

Lemoore is actually fairly easy to get for Hornet drivers. Why? Because its in the middle of the boonies and nobody wants to go there. There are people that love it there especially if you are the outdoor type. However, if you are single then you are sucking for a social life. By the same token families don't like it either because there is nothing around for the kids. If you want Lemoore they will give it to no problem. Just frees up another spot for those fighting to get to the east coast.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by savingthisone
Think Nuclear submarines. Only a few, high density bases. Kings Point, Groton, Hawaii, Guam (building up). Sure you have rotation, but it is stable, very close knit society. For the boomers, three months out, three months in. Good pay. Great service. Large contribution to the nation. Should consider it.
As a former bubblehead, I think the silent service is an outstanding community that is both close knit, and takes part in some amazing missions and tasking. Your chances of "homesteading" are excellent, with your ability to go "up the street" from the waterfront, and work for say, SUBPAC, SUBLANT, or the Squadron or Group level. Many opportunities there. But, if you are looking for an easy few years, I think you should take a step back. Nuke power school, prototype, submarine school, and the following 12 months to earn your Gold Dolphins are a difficult road. Alot rides on you, as in any program. But hats off to all submariners for the difficult road they travel, especially the JOs. Speaking as blueshirt back then, if you were a good JO, we took care of you, god knows you got dumped on enough as it was by the DHs and XO. You survived school, and then you scramble for that year trying to qualify. When I got selected for my commissioning program on the boat (or pig if you like), EVERY one of the JOs on board came up to me personally and told me to go aviation, and never come back. In retrospect, a lot had to to do with the powers that be, but talking with friends that went back, it is still a community that "eats its young", so to speak. But, I tell you, I think being the OOD of a submarine and driving it around and taking it to PD and back would be quite a rush. Just saying it is a great community, you look out after your own, but it is a hard life, with lots of time at sea, especially if you are the "go to boat" on the pier. Give credit, where credit is due, I know I have it "better" lifestyle wise in P3s, as I sit here in my BOQ room on deployment, if that means I can't homestead, oh well. Plus, I think the "view" is much better from my office. Food for thought...

As for AF in HI.... Read earlier this year that C17s were coming to Hickam. And as Gatordev said, you have the HSL and P3s living large on Kbay, though it is weird being a Navy guest onboard a Marine Base, guess turn about is fair play!

Gravis, I don't think anyone really hit on an answer to your question. If you do a search for family life Navy, etc in the search, there have been quite a few topics on this subject. General deployment is 6 months, possibly longer (can you say Lincoln?), with a 12-18 month homecycle depending on which platform you are talking about. During that homecycle you spend time standing down from a deployment, then working back up as you have personnel turnover for your next deployment. Each community has its own qualification cycles (subs, ORSE, TRE, etc., P3s IDTC, ORE, TPC, and the various maint. inspections), and you meet those hoops as they come to you. Also, you spend time training real world, with other Navy units, whether DETting to another base for workups in the case of P3s, heading out with the Wing to Fallon for the jets, or throwing the lines over the side for the ships and pulling out. Everyone has something to do, and exercises to participate in. All the while, you are probably trying to upgrade, due your PQS, work on your ground job, and then of course spend time with family or get out and enjoy life. Basically, as always a balancing act, and a curve you don't want to get behind on. Before you know it, your first Fleet tour is closing out, your fully qualified, and you are fighting for orders. Some communities allow you, or at least give you the opportunity to homestead, but in many cases, in aviation, if you want to continue to fly, staying in the same place is not the option. In my case, I might just be happy enough to stay in a cockpit, wherever they end up sending me.

I haven't really touched on the family life, in the end, it is what you make of your own time. Deployments are hard on family, but keeping up the comms are key (emails, phonecalls when able, care packages, etc), and then making the most of your home time and any leave you take. Honestly, as Gatordev can attest, I have fully taken advantage of HI and enjoyed it with my family to the fullest, each area has its benefits, but those fun memories and times to reminisce on, plus look forward to, make those times apart easier. In the end though, the spouse has the rough end of the deal, you get to go out and finally DO what you have trained for all this time, especially during this period of tensions and important real world missions where your life might be on the line, and the wpns/info you provide might be the difference. Your family on the other hand is left behind, and has the days to count till your return, plus worrying about your safety. Keep them busy, send them to visit family and friends, and hopefully have a tight/friendly wives club (not a KNIVES club...).... Oh well, those are my ramblings, and what is kind of at the forefront of my mind. I just know that I am enjoying flying immensely for the Navy and wouldn't have it any other way, especially in light of what is going on in the world today, and knowing that I have the family and friends back at home supporting me makes all the difference.

Best of luck with your decision!

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Originally posted by HornetDrvr
Lemoore is actually fairly easy to get for Hornet drivers. Why? Because its in the middle of the boonies and nobody wants to go there. There are people that love it there especially if you are the outdoor type. However, if you are single then you are sucking for a social life. By the same token families don't like it either because there is nothing around for the kids. If you want Lemoore they will give it to no problem. Just frees up another spot for those fighting to get to the east coast.

heh...yeah us California folks actually consider that part of California as "the armpit of California". Its a nasty area but I would like to stay in Cal if possible. Then again they could send me anywhere to fly hornets..i wouldnt care.

autumn

Hey Gravis~

A great book to consider is THE NAVAL AVIATION GUIDE-Fifth ed. It covers every aspect of life as an aviator.

Status
Not open for further replies.