• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Family and the Navy

BourneID

pilot
Childcare on base is based upon how much your family makes. When we went to enroll my son at the CDC (Child Development Center) they looked at both mine and my wife's income.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
When you are not on deployment what is life like as a pilot when your stateside?

I thought that the military did a good job of providing you with enough money to live alright. Does it really get that tough financially?

PS. Thanks for the grammar lesson, us police are not known for our intellect.:icon_smil

Military pay is public. Just Google "military pay tables" and "military BAH/BAS." Add the two together and that's what your gross yearly salary will be. Make sure that you are looking at the tables dated for 2008. You'll be at O-1 for your first two years, then O-2 for two years after that, then O-3 for 4-6 years after that...

Not true. you can live on or off base. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. A midn really shouldn't be putting out such definitive gouge. In other words, STFU.
Depends on the installation. NWS Charleston has no officer's housing available for single people.

MasterBates

Very few bases have permanent party housing for bachelor Officer's anymore. PPVs are about the only "gubment housing" I have seen available to me since I got divorced. Most BOQs aren't there anymore or are transient only now.

There ARE exceptions.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
OP is married with kids, so that's a moot point.
Was simply rebutting the people who sharply criticized MIDN because he said that "officers must live off base." The truth is, if you're single, MIDN is correct at some installations.

bb1125

None
Was simply rebutting the people who sharply criticized MIDN because he said that "officers must live off base." The truth is, if you're single, MIDN is correct at some installations.
So, if your single, and you live on certain bases, you may have to live off base, possibly? That's almost exactly what he said. How did I mis that.:rolleyes:

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
O-1 pay doesn't go far between 2 adults and a child, especially with car payments/school loans, etc.

I think this statement is relative to the kind of lifestyle you live. I get E-5 pay, BAH, and BAS (no other incentive pays, SRB, or allowances) with a stay-at-home wife and 3 kids. We make due with what we have and live within our means. Personally, I can't wait to get that extra grand a month from O-1E base pay. My point is, if you make good financial decisions, O-1 pay should be enough for you and your family to live comfortably. The pay raises you get when you advance are nice too, MUCH better than enlisted anyway.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I think this statement is relative to the kind of lifestyle you live. I get E-5 pay, BAH, and BAS (no other incentive pays, SRB, or allowances) with a stay-at-home wife and 3 kids. We make due with what we have and live within our means. Personally, I can't wait to get that extra grand a month from O-1E base pay. My point is, if you make good financial decisions, O-1 pay should be enough for you and your family to live comfortably. The pay raises you get when you advance are nice too, MUCH better than enlisted anyway.

Agreed...My biggest drain is that my wife and I both went to college and have $62,000 and $52,000 in school loans. That eats up about $650 a month alone (I don't know how we did it on E-3 pay, but we managed)...

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Agreed...My biggest drain is that my wife and I both went to college and have $62,000 and $52,000 in school loans. That eats up about $650 a month alone (I don't know how we did it on E-3 pay, but we managed)...

Yikes! Good on you for getting through that! E-3 pay is NOT very much, it was probably a huge relief to get that O-1 pay, eh!

Fred

I haven't noticed conflicts having a huge impact on deployment schedules. (I'm sure it depends on community) Navy deploys in peace time and war time. My husband was actually deployed more between 1992 and 1999 than he was from 2000 to present. I'd plan on at least one 6-7mo deployment every 18-24mo. Plus you have work ups, sea trials, dets, etc., in between. When he was stationed in th US he was gone about 50% of the time while on sea duty, when we were in Japan he was gone 80+% of the time.