• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Family and ODS

Greetings,

I am going to ODS soon and I have some questions regarding family contact (married with a 7 month old):

1.Are we able to call / video chat our families daily starting from day 1 in the evenings after the training day is over?

2.I read that based on our groups performance that we may have weekend liberty in Newport either weekend 2 or 3? Are our families able to visit us that weekend? What are the rules and regulations about spending time with them during the weekend day? We must always be in groups of 2-3 correct? Are we able to meet our families at a local restaurant or tourist attraction?

3.I read we may also get weekend liberty to go within 100 miles of the base on a weekend liberty later on during the course. Ive read that many go to Boston. Are we able to see our families during this weekend liberty?

I am fully prepared to not see my family for 5 weeks but just want to set expectations for myself and my wife. Thank you!

jrh0425

Greetings,

I am going to ODS soon and I have some questions regarding family contact (married with a 7 month old):

1.Are we able to call / video chat our families daily starting from day 1 in the evenings after the training day is over?

2.I read that based on our groups performance that we may have weekend liberty in Newport either weekend 2 or 3? Are our families able to visit us that weekend? What are the rules and regulations about spending time with them during the weekend day? We must always be in groups of 2-3 correct? Are we able to meet our families at a local restaurant or tourist attraction?

3.I read we may also get weekend liberty to go within 100 miles of the base on a weekend liberty later on during the course. Ive read that many go to Boston. Are we able to see our families during this weekend liberty?

I am fully prepared to not see my family for 5 weeks but just want to set expectations for myself and my wife. Thank you!
I just graduated and here's what my class experienced.

1. Yes you will have time to call family, our day was finished after dinner, around 1730
2. We were given on base liberty weeks 1 and 2, then off base starting week 3 (including the use of personal vehicle). The buddy system is enforced but week 4 your family member or friend could count as your buddy. So if they have base access then they can pick you up on base.
3. My class was restricted to the Newport area. If you crossed any bridges then you went too far. We tried to get a class trip together but nothing was approved.

number9

Contributor
From a recent reddit thread about ODS:

reddit said:
If you report Saturday, you have full liberty until your class actually starts Sunday afternoon (you do need to sign in/out if you're leaving base, but that's essentially the only restriction). First full weekend we had on base liberty, needed to take a battle buddy if you left King Hall, could go to NEX/uniform store/a couple other places. Still had to eat all meals in the galley as a class. Second weekend was similar, just with a few more places we could go (running trails, gym, student parking lot to turn on your car and let the battery charge). Third weekend was off base liberty anywhere on Aquidneck Island, no alcohol, need a battle buddy anytime you leave training country. Fourth weekend was also off base liberty on Aquidneck Island, alcohol was allowed, still need a battle buddy anywhere outside of training country, but the battle buddy was allowed to be a friend or family if they live in the area. No overnight liberty at any point, we always had to eat breakfast as a class in the galley. If you had watch on one of the liberty days, you weren't allowed to leave training country at all during that day unless the CDO said otherwise.