• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fairly new to Meridian, MS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

Student Pilot Wife
Hi Everyone!
I use to visit this site when my husband (then fiance) was in OCS and I was so busy with college and everything else that I never signed up. Today I decided to take a stand!

We just got to NAS Meridian about a month ago and can finally say that we are settled in. Anyone familiar with this place? We have found some restaurants and know where main fast food is... but where are the cool bars and other places where ppl in mid twenties hang out. We are centrally located to some pretty cool cities so I am looking forward to that... :icon_smil

We lucked out and got a place on base, AWESOME base housing compared to NAS Corpus Christi...we lived off base in Crp. Everyone around here is very nice and so friendly, and its really cool that most of the people around here can relate to one another. My husband has been pretty buisy with ground school and so I help him study somewhat since I am not working right now.

I'm only here for a couple more weeks, then I am taking of for an internship in Seattle but I will be back after Labor Day. SO I will miss the Mississippi summer fun, but woud still like to know about the area of anyone can share some insight. THANKS!

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
"Midtown Grill" (by the hospitals, 16th and 22nd or something like that?) They have live music on the weekends and it's a pretty cool place to hangout.

"Cafe Latte" in downtown has good food and a decent bar. Sometimes they have winging parties there.

"The Daily Grind" next to Edna's liquor in North Hills. Menu is limited but their chicken salad croissant is awesome.

Oh and the Meridian movie theater is awesome. Great crowd participation, and they didn't bite off on that stadium seating "fad". And sometimes the sound works.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
If you ever take your SNA to the barber inside the wing on the flight line, he's got a list of the best spots with user reviews from SNAs and IPs.
There isn't much going on in the Village of Meridian, but he had a few spots I wouldnt of otherwise found.
Your best bet is to hit the road Friday, after COB, you can be at dinner in New orleans before 2000.

Tuscaloosa is 90 miles from Meridian and well worth the drive. They have a number of good restaurants and great bars to support the University of Alabama.

Try the "downtown" bars at the corner of 4th and 23rd streets (including the 4th and 23rd bar: live music and generally packed on the weekends). If you go to "the Strip," which is immediately adjacent to campus on University Ave. with a younger college sort of crowd, try "Phil's." Phil's is quite possibly the best sports bar on earth and has great food.

My favorite place to eat in town is DePalma's, a phenominal Italian restaurant a block from 4th and 23rd. Dreamland Ribs is a famous rib place that so completely lacks frills that "no frills" doesn't begin to describe it. Their ribs are amazing, but understand the rules: men open their own beers, your napkins are on a roll in the center of the table, know what you want before the waiter comes to your table and the menu is easy: ribs, white bread, beer, sweet tea and coke. Oh, and if you plan to eat at dreamland before a football game, get there before the sun comes up. The 15th Street Cafe is GREAT southern cooking (chicken and dumplings, fried chicken, the works) and is quite possibly the best carryout place in town. The Globe and The Cypress Inn are great restaurants as well.

The best part about Tuscaloosa: if you ask somebody "when are you going to the boat?" you're likely to get an answer that involves water skiing, not FCLPs.

Enjoy Meridian.

AndysGirl

SNA Wife
Has anyone eaten at Squealers or the Hungry Heifer here in Meridian? The names alone are worth going to me!!

Rebecca

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
The Heffer is a little pricey for what you get... a not-as-good Midtown Grill. Although if you are looking for a buffalo burger and raw oysters in the middle of Mississippi, this is your place. Also the service always seems to be slow.

Squealers is good. Find out where the Red Door is and try that. Mark the barber has directions.

Sylvia

Student Pilot Wife
Thanks for the suggestions!! I'll be doing some driving around, specially once I get back from WA. I am looking forward to be so close to places like New Orleans, Atlanta, and Pensacola (I'm missing the FL & PR beaches already!).
Have a great week everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.