• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failure the First Time Around

RiseR 25

I'm not exactly sure what level it was, but my understanding was NRC. The officer mentioned something about my packet possibly being reviewed next week. It was more or less related to my only placing SNA on my application. He was evaluating my overall commitment to being a Naval Officer.

exNavyOffRec

I'm not exactly sure what level it was, but my understanding was NRC. The officer mentioned something about my packet possibly being reviewed next week. It was more or less related to my only placing SNA on my application. He was evaluating my overall commitment to being a Naval Officer.

Odd, very odd, did you need a waiver for anything?

RiseR 25

No, I didn't. I was thrown off a little because I still had to get some paperwork done to get MEPS approved, so it didn't help for the phone. But other than that I felt the same way, odd.

BleedGreen

pilot
No, I didn't. I was thrown off a little because I still had to get some paperwork done to get MEPS approved, so it didn't help for the phone. But other than that I felt the same way, odd.

Very odd, even more interesting is the part saying your application will be reviewed in a week. I guess that could have various meaning too....whether he or she meant its being reviewed at the NRC level or community level.

exNavyOffRec

NRC rarely talks to any applicant, even in a waiver situation, so my feeling (given what you said about commitment) is this is was the OPS or assistant OPS talking to you before he was going to write his recommendation on the application and then send it up, the OPS/AOPS is the last signature before being sent to NRC for review.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I don't really subscribe to the, "Do you really want to be a naval officer or naval aviator" dichotomy.
This.

The Navy is heterogenious and micro. Yea there's some cross-over: everyone has collateral duties with a whammadine binder, 3M spot checks, maintenance schedules, etc., but people don't become Officers for the administrative duties that come with being the motorcycle/traffic safety officer, legal officer, or MWR president. They come an officer for the 'day job,' and the job of standing watch on a surface ship vs. submarine vs. flying an aircraft vs. ordering parts and overseeing inventories vs. conducting intel briefs are very different, as are all the things one does to be proficient at those things.

So if maintaining that whammadine binder is your true motivation for seeking a commission, by all means apply for as many things as you can.

BackOrdered

Contributor
This.

The Navy is heterogenious and micro. Yea there's some cross-over: everyone has collateral duties with a whammadine binder, 3M spot checks, maintenance schedules, etc., but people don't become Officers for the administrative duties that come with being the motorcycle/traffic safety officer, legal officer, or MWR president. They come an officer for the 'day job,' and the job of standing watch on a surface ship vs. submarine vs. flying an aircraft vs. ordering parts and overseeing inventories vs. conducting intel briefs are very different, as are all the things one does to be proficient at those things.

So if maintaining that whammadine binder is your true motivation for seeking a commission, by all means apply for as many things as you can.

Personally I agree. If my designator changed right now, I'd take my ball and go home. Period.

Professionally, I disagree with your take on what it is we do. I don't know how many competitive billets you have held with a lot of peer competition (and if you have stood many, I'll bite my tongue) , but you are going to be a sad sailor if you think just having the"day job" down is going to put you on top of the deck.

Everyone (your peers) is good at the "day job" stuff (ideally). The guy that is going to rise to the top of the peer group is going the perform excellently at his day job AND help his front office stay in the green elsewhere. That ability to balance out tasking and organize yourself and others plays into being a good Officer; a goal oriented, well rounded individual.

So an Officer Candidate saying "Officer first all the way", to that end, is going to win points with me as regardless of what becomes of him in the pipeline, I know they will be successful.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Professionally, I disagree with your take on what it is we do. I don't know how many competitive billets you have held with a lot of peer competition (and if you have stood many, I'll bite my tongue) , but you are going to be a sad sailor if you think just having the"day job" down is going to put you on top of the deck.
I do not want to get into a penis envy contest on AW.

Instead, I'll focus on that we live in different communities, and you're wrong to ascribe what's important to yours to what is important to mine. You're also wrong to think that everyone is equally good at their "day jobs."

The most important things to the promotion screening boards (and I'd imagine any URL warfare community) are sustained superior at-sea performance and significant contribution to the community or Navy (at least that's what they say on Pers). Good luck accomplishing the latter if you're placed on the bench everytime you do an important exercise or conduct a risky mission operation. And since they highlight "at sea" performance, I doubt they are talking about the ability to maintain a perfect electrical safety inspection log.

Having a super-sat whammadine binder for some collateral duty might providea fitrep bullet that no one is going to read, but the important parts of our fitreps are the ranking and the attribute grades relative to the CO's average. Tactical performance, leadership, teamwork, command presence/bearing all relate to our 'day jobs' leading a watchteam to do what we colloquially refer to as "God's work," not the super-sat whammadine motorcycle safety binder. And last I checked, my watchteam's ability to drive a ship and accomplish the task at hand while not crashing into a stationary or moving object has a direct relationship with whether my CO gets to keep his job.

At the DH level and above the priority starts to shift a little to being able to more administrative-oriented tasks -- ability to meet ship's schedule, preparing the department for the next event, performance on inspections, etc...but all of those would fall under "primary duties" and not "collateral duties." Additionally, you must be command qualified to continue in your career, which is entirely 'day job' based.

In the end, we have to prove that we are worthy of being a CO...that we can train a crew to safely drive the ship to sea and conduct whatever mission tasking is handed to us...from ISR to strike to approach and attack. All of those are 'day job' skills. CO's don't get fired because the motorcycle safety officer binder is outdated, they get fired for hitting other objects (or screwing the help or 'ordering' the ombudsman to post a picture with secret material on facebook).

Warfighting readiness first. Everything else is secondary.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The irony of this statement in today's Navy....
The design for undersea warfare by COMSUBFOR vs. CNOs sexual assault initiatives. It's like mommy and daddy are arguing and I don't know who to listen to!

BackOrdered

Contributor
The design for undersea warfare by COMSUBFOR vs. CNOs sexual assault initiatives. It's like mommy and daddy are arguing and I don't know who to listen to!

Spekkio I PM'd you back and lets leave it at that. And yeah, I still would like to see how fumbling the CO's "whammadine" SAPR program will hold up in today's Navy.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yea because scheduling, conducting, and keeping a record of required SAPR GMT training and (hopefully never) writing up a report when it occurs is SOOO hard that it deserves a #1 EP fitrep. Come on.