• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failing FAA (Civilian) Checkrides

alphagolf28

I do apologize if this question has already been answered but I can find a direct answer on this one.
I am a PPL with my Instrument rating with just over 250 hours.
I am about a little over a year (ish) from graduating college. My plan is to go the OCS/SNA route but while I'm finishing college I am debating finishing my ratings and building some hours (Comm SEL, CFI, CFII, Comm MEL, CFI MEI). However, I am terrified of failing any of those checkrides and how that will effect my chances of getting a SNA slot down the road. I've had zero issues with any of the checkrides so far.

I see getting the rest of my FAA ratings the way to go at this point especially since there is no guarantee of me being able to get an SNA slot. I also have a 23.9 degree Thoracic scoliosis and even though my doctor thinks that we decrease that to 20 degrees or under over the next couple years, I still realize that there is no guarantee of getting a waiver if it is over 20. I know I can obtain a first class medical. I want to fly for a living so if I can't do go SNA, I will have to settle for airlines.

Do failed FAA checkrides decrease chances of getting an SNA slot? Or am I entirely missing the point of what the Navy looks for when it comes to prospective naval aviators.

cgoss99

ProRec SNA
I do apologize if this question has already been answered but I can find a direct answer on this one.
I am about a little over a year (ish) from graduating college. My plan is to go the OCS/SNA route but while I'm finishing college I am debating finishing my ratings and building some hours (Comm SEL, CFI, CFII, Comm MEL, CFI MEI). However, I am terrified of failing any of those checkrides and how that will effect my chances of getting a SNA slot down the road. I've had zero issues with any of the checkrides so far.

I see getting the rest of my FAA ratings the way to go at this point especially since there is no guarantee of me being able to get an SNA slot. I also have a 23.9 degree Thoracic scoliosis and even though my doctor thinks that we decrease that to 20 degrees or under over the next couple years, I still realize that there is no guarantee of getting a waiver if it is over 20. I know I can obtain a first class medical. I want to fly for a living so if I can't do go SNA, I will have to settle for airlines.

Do failed FAA checkrides decrease chances of getting an SNA slot? Or am I entirely missing the point of what the Navy looks for when it comes to prospective naval aviators.
The Navy doesn’t really care much about flight hours in general. Sure it may help in the ever so slightest but it’s not a deciding factors for picking SNA’s. Was never asked by my OR about check rides he just asked how many hours I had. Being afraid of failure is one of the biggest set backs a person can have, so if you want to fly for a living, you’ll have to face the fear of checkrides / evaluations for an entire career.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

It’s been stated multiple times civilian flight experience doesn’t have any weight for aviation boards.

Like what someone else has said, your fear of failure may be what’s your Achilles heel during the application and training process.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Your back is a bigger issue than check ride failures. I know guys who had multiple FAA check ride failures and still got to fly in the military.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not convinced the Navy even knows how to spell "Civilian Check Ride."

The good news is that the Navy things their check rides are WAY more important, anyway.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I would definitely work on that checkride anxiety if you want to fly in the Navy, or every day is going to feel like a checkride for a long, long time.

Work hard and have a good attitude. Individual event failures can be overcome. Many, maybe even most SNAs/SNFOs have one at some point. Good luck!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There is little real jeopardy to failing a FAA checkride (for example with a DPE). You will simply be required to receive additional training and an accompanyting endorsement in the deficient areas and retake the respective practical test. Many examiners offer a discontinuance (technique only!) before failing an applicant. FAA audits examiners and generally look for a 10% fail rate.

The Air Carrier folks with AQP simply get a "try that again"..