• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Factors for Selection?

corvairdroptop

Historical reference:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104158&postcount=22

CNATRA himself does not sit on selection committees- those decisions are made by O-3s and O-4s, plus the squadron COs...It's the O-3s who write the gradesheets in primary

Aside from random timing, I am asking about the ingredients of a selection. NSS has been mentioned quite a bit, but what other factors are included?

Below are some specific citations from the rumor mill. It would be great if they were affirmed, clarified, or dispelled.

- Performance-based recommendations for and against? Made by who?
- Reputation (if relevant, probably not positive) from API, if applicable?
- Presence/number of yellow/pink sheets? Only those from primary? Only academic and flight-based sheets?
- Coin toss?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Historical reference:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104158&postcount=22

Aside from random timing, I am asking about the ingredients of a selection. NSS has been mentioned quite a bit, but what other factors are included?

Below are some specific citations from the rumor mill. It would be great if they were affirmed, clarified, or dispelled.

- Performance-based recommendations for and against? Made by who?
- Reputation (if relevant, probably not positive) from API, if applicable?
- Presence/number of yellow/pink sheets? Only those from primary? Only academic and flight-based sheets?
- Coin toss?

Yes, to all of the above, but most of all......timing. Those all play in, but you could be super stud with 0 pinksheets and everyone wants you to go A and if there's only one slot open for B, you're going B.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just ask what % get jets, man. We all know what you're getting at. :D

Seriously, it's all about NSS and what Big Navy needs that week. Just in general, they'll jump through hoops like you wouldn't believe to avoid making a subjective decision if there's some way of making a "metric" out of it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Do the best you can and hope that if you make the grade for the platform you want, there's a slot for you. No need worrying about something you can't control.

rockiesguy

I'll avoid talking about what you already know, needs of the navy, timing, etc.

There is a recommendation from the CO (I think written by someone else, flight lead, on-wing etc), but is usually only factored in extreme cases. Such as a guy of whom the squadron has a very low opinion, even if he got good grades. Or Vice versa. Maybe you had a slow start, (lack of prior flight time, asshole on-wing, etc) and really turned it on toward the end. Basically, (and I'm a student not an instructor so this is mostly hearsay) the recommendation only matters if the squadron feels that your NSS is not an indication of your potential as a pilot.

Pink/Yellow sheets? Only as much as they affect your NSS and your recommendation.

But 90% of the time its how your NSS stacks up against everyone you're selecting with. And all that timing crap everyone talks about. But since you can't change the week you select (that is without being a huge tool, and karma will bite you in the ass), forget about it.

API? Barely at all. Its a shit screen, an indoc, the navy is a bit more concerned with how you flew.

If you want to confirm/dispell any rumors talk to your civilian stucon in primary. They may not know who makes the decisions, but they know exactly what gets sent to the boards, and who gets what out of it. So be very nice to them. Especially if you're in 6, michelle and ike are awesome.

Oh yeah, good luck

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I'll avoid talking about what you already know, needs of the navy, timing, etc.

There is a recommendation from the CO (I think written by someone else, flight lead, on-wing etc), but is usually only factored in extreme cases. Such as a guy of whom the squadron has a very low opinion, even if he got good grades. Or Vice versa. Maybe you had a slow start, (lack of prior flight time, asshole on-wing, etc) and really turned it on toward the end. Basically, (and I'm a student not an instructor so this is mostly hearsay) the recommendation only matters if the squadron feels that your NSS is not an indication of your potential as a pilot.

Pink/Yellow sheets? Only as much as they affect your NSS and your recommendation.

But 90% of the time its how your NSS stacks up against everyone you're selecting with. And all that timing crap everyone talks about. But since you can't change the week you select (that is without being a huge tool, and karma will bite you in the ass), forget about it.

API? Barely at all. Its a shit screen, an indoc, the navy is a bit more concerned with how you flew.

If you want to confirm/dispell any rumors talk to your civilian stucon in primary. They may not know who makes the decisions, but they know exactly what gets sent to the boards, and who gets what out of it. So be very nice to them. Especially if you're in 6, michelle and ike are awesome.

Oh yeah, good luck

+1 for that - they were great.

flyerstud4

I was reading this thread and then looked at a bunch of my grade sheets. I read the comments about the grades and the general comments. Are the comments for just me or are these comments reviewed by the sqd and the wing? Do they look at recommendations from an IP or ONWING? Or its all NSS based, unless like previously mentioned you were a sh!t bag.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Aside from random timing, I am asking about the ingredients of a selection.

RouletteWheel.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was reading this thread and then looked at a bunch of my grade sheets. I read the comments about the grades and the general comments. Are the comments for just me or are these comments reviewed by the sqd and the wing? Do they look at recommendations from an IP or ONWING? Or its all NSS based, unless like previously mentioned you were a sh!t bag.

For 95% of the equation, the comments are for both you and the lawyers. Your comments probably won't be in depth as the debrief, but it's a way for you (and others) to go back and look at trends. It's also there to make sure IPs have given you the fair shake when it's time to ask you to find another profession.

flyerstud4

For 95% of the equation, the comments are for both you and the lawyers. Your comments probably won't be in depth as the debrief, but it's a way for you (and others) to go back and look at trends. It's also there to make sure IPs have given you the fair shake when it's time to ask you to find another profession.

So lets say I received a recommendation for a certain pipeline. Does that have any weight, or again is that just for me.:D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So lets say I received a recommendation for a certain pipeline. Does that have any weight, or again is that just for me.:D

Does NSS take comments into account? My educated guess is not but are for what Gatordev said. I've made recommendations on the gradesheets for a few studs at VT-6 as well but with those comments came the grades to back it.