• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAA Mandates ADS-B to replace transponders by 2020

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you were expecting to operate an aircraft on the cheap and an ADS-B is prohibitively expensive in 10 years, please give me some of whatever you're on. It must be good if you're that delusional. Remember kids, if it flies/fucks/floats, rent it.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
These new transponders will add more cost, and for what benefit to most pilots?

I love ADS-B. I used to rent Cessna's with a color moving map/gps and ADS-B. It was a great tool to see all the little airplanes on the screen as you were buzzing around. Definitely an SA builder in an area like DC where lots of planes have it and pop up on the screen.

"Oh, 5 planes in the pattern at Easton? Three at Bay Bridge. . . Six more in the practice area. . . I'll just go head down here. . ."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
And has been mentioned before, the service is anything but free, not to mention that like most of the residents of the United States I pay taxes on my income.

Don't want to quibble with most of your points, but only about half the residents of the US pay taxes on their income. The rest are freeloading on exemptions and tax credits. So, for half the people, government services ARE free. Well, at least someone else is paying for them.

Brunes

pilot
So we are going to argue about taxes in thread on ADS-B??

It's amazing concept for a piece of gear, and once it's rolled into the mainstream- it'll become cheaper, more reliable, and continue to add functionality.

Do you really want to put a price on improved SA??

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Freeloading off the federal government, at least. States and localities are the ones taxing sales and property.

....ANYWAY, ADS-B seems like the sort of thing we need to bring ATC into this century. If it's going to work, the majority of planes have to have it aboard. It can't be implemented by attrition, because a plane has such a long lifespan. Unfunded mandate? Maybe. What's the alternative, the gov't giving you a voucher to buy one?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
....ANYWAY, ADS-B seems like the sort of thing we need to bring ATC into this century.

When was the transponder mandated for use? Was there a fuss back then over it? Actually, there are still routes in bigger terminal areas for non transponder equipped aircraft. And how about non radar contact procedures for instrument flying? The way I see it, the system is already in place for non ADS-B aircraft. It's the same procedures that non transponder aircraft can use. You may say it's not practical, but if you want to be outside the box and not have the equipment to be plugged into this century's ATC, then you need to be ready operate outside that box without bitching.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
What's the alternative, the gov't giving you a voucher to buy one?

They did it for people trading in old automobiles. With the money supposedly saved by ditching Loran, NDB's, and radar facilities, there should be some way to fund a rebate program.

Brunes

pilot
They did it for people trading in old automobiles. With the money supposedly saved by ditching Loran, NDB's, and radar facilities, there should be some way to fund a rebate program.

Or you can pay to play??

RHPF

pilot
Contributor

Not that I am for it, but they (Fed Gov) also did it for people 'needing' HDTV antennas when the analog signals stopped. I think the ADS-B falls more inline with that perhaps.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Not that I am for it, but they (Fed Gov) also did it for people 'needing' HDTV antennas when the analog signals stopped. I think the ADS-B falls more inline with that perhaps.

Well said

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Not even close. Fed did that to stop grandma from bitching when her analog tv signal went out "without warning", despite numerous ads notifying them. The voucher for boxes was a way to keep people on the TV system, which is used for emergency broadcasts, weather, news, etc. Not offering the boxes via gift cards would have been bloody murder. Aircraft owners are a select group. Soaking them for new tech isn't a new card for Fed. Don't expect that to change.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor

The switch to digital signals did not require any new antennas. You can still use the 50 year old rabbit ears to receive digital, HDTV broadcasts.