• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAA Instrument Rating for NFOs ? ? ?

acoustic2

As a civilian pilot, I would like to get my instrument rating. I am an SNFO right now at primary. Upon completion of the instrument phase during primary is there any possibility of that flight time counting toward an instrument rating in the civi world?

I have already had the FAA Instrument ground school, received an endorsement to take the test, just dont have the flight time. Are there any other programs specific to NFOs that can help them w/ their civilian flying ratings/certificates?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The only equivalency that I know of is for a winged aviator with a USN cloud card....I'm assuming you are neither at this point. I'm sure it wouldn't be a stretch for you at this point to go out to a civilian school and get your FAA IR, but I doubt they will give you credit towards that for your NFO time.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Concur.... no chance. You do know that NFO stands for No Future Outside correct?:D You'll have to pay your own way to get the hours required for the Instrument Rating. Kind of sucks but should be pretty easy to do. Ask around over at Ferguson or Pensacola Aviation Center at PNS and try to find out the easiest/cheapest way to do it.

Casual

Jammin'
None
If you're seriously interested in doing this, I'm pretty sure you can use your GI bill for advanced flight training certificates (can't be used to get a Private Pilot license though).

phrogpilot73

If you're seriously interested in doing this, I'm pretty sure you can use your GI bill for advanced flight training certificates (can't be used to get a Private Pilot license though).
Just to clarify - only the Montgomery GI Bill, not the Post 9/11.

OscarMyers

None
Just to clarify - only the Montgomery GI Bill, not the Post 9/11.

I Just found this out last month that the post 9/11 will pay 100% flight cost if they are taken at an institute of higher learning. Thats what im doing at Embry Riddle, I have to use my GI bill to suppliment the tuition so i figured i mine as well minor in flight to get up to my multi engine commercial.

phrogpilot73

I Just found this out last month that the post 9/11 will pay 100% flight cost if they are taken at an institute of higher learning. Thats what im doing at Embry Riddle, I have to use my GI bill to suppliment the tuition so i figured i mine as well minor in flight to get up to my multi engine commercial.
Good point. And that's a key difference between Montgomery GI Bill and Post 9/11. Post 9/11 will only pay for degree granting institutions.

acoustic2

Thanks for all the replies guys. I used my GI Bill for my AMEL, it reimbursed me 60% of actual costs...which is great. One of my flight instructors, now a FO w/ Skywest, was $90k in debt from flight training.

If they allow a switch to pilot, I'll take that opportunity so my time will count for the outside. If not, oh well.

Thanks again.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
SNFO = nothing with the FAA. However, I imagine your experience as a fleet NFO would make you a VERY fast student to pick up your ratings with minimal difficulty... particularly with radio/FAR/IFR/checklist procedures. At that point it would be all stick skills.