• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAA Announces Thanksgiving Express Lanes

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
In a news conference last week, the President and the Sec of Transportation announced that "Thanksgiving Express Lanes" would be opened through Special Use Airspace to alleviate East Coast congestion. In the press conference quoted below, the FAA said they had a diagram - has anyone seen this, or have a link to it?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/11/20071115-8.html

Q Can you explain a little bit further about how this military airspace is going to work? How many planes might it be able to accommodate? Don't you still have to land those same planes at the airports with the runways? So how will that help delays, ultimately, even if can get them there faster?

SECRETARY PETERS: Well, Lisa, there's a couple problems. One is with the takeoffs. Depending on where the plane is going, you could have more traffic going into the same area, and that's the case when we don't have these military routes. And I'm going to defer to Nancy to give us an answer about how many more planes they may be able to accommodate. But what it would do is move some of these planes off -- and Nancy, I think you have a map that would show us this. In fact, why don't you jump in here.

MS. KALINOWSKI: We have a diagram for you, and we can give it to you on email if you want it. But what we're talking about is the warning areas that are off the coast of the East Coast of the United States. And this is special-use airspace that is joint use; it is normally used by the military all the time -- they're doing exercises out there. And we worked an agreement with them to be able to release this airspace back to the civilian market so that the civilian airlines can use this airspace during the busy holiday season, during this Thanksgiving season. And what it does is, is it does allow -- we were able to put a route through that airspace, which essentially gets people out of the New York area quicker, especially if we have weather up and down the East Coast.

Now, during the summertime when we have storms, we can work in a real-time basis with the military in order to try to have access. But they use this every day. So now they are essentially giving us a five-day block that we can use the airspace and the airlines' can plan ahead.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In a news conference last week, the President and the Sec of Transportation announced that "Thanksgiving Express Lanes" would be opened through Special Use Airspace to alleviate East Coast congestion.....
It's just another "proof", as if we needed one, that you can fool most of the people, most of the time ... situation normal within our GOV't bureaucracies ....:)

The FEDs are going to "open up" military operating areas, restricted areas, and warning areas when they're "not hot", i.e., when they are not being used. Instead of being routed around them -- you can now fly through them. Earthshaking revelation, yes???

This is what the norm is -- everything else being equal. The FEDs open up military operating areas (MOA's) to civilian and commercial traffic when they are not in use. In other words, nothing to look at here, move along; the GOV't is just trying to sound "proactive" to fool most of the people .... etc., etc.

And when do "they" do it?? Why, when there's hardly any military training flights going on, that's when --- like during the Thanksgiving (and count on Christmas, too) Holidays .... :):sleep_125

The REAL problem is overcapacity -- too many jets taking off at the same time and going to the same place at the same time and expecting to land at the same time -- all coupled with an antiquated ATC system.

KBayDog

"It's not like we're going to have a huge crush of...millions of more airplanes in the sky."

Very enlightening.

Nose

pilot

The REAL problem is overcapacity -- too many jets taking off at the same time and going to the same place at the same time and expecting to land at the same time -- all coupled with an antiquated ATC system.

Agree with the old man, as usual, but for one point.

Overcapacity - maybe, but the real real problem is inefficiency. That is, using 5X50 seat RJs to go LGA-MCO instead of 1X225 seat 757. RJs and corporate jets are absolutely killing the Northeast. Something has to give. As long as it ain't the last flight of my trip, I love going through (no layovers, please) LGA/JFK/PHL because they are almost guaranteed money.

N

Pugs

Back from the range
None
RJs and corporate jets are absolutely killing the Northeast. Something has to give. N

And give the cluster fuck that commercial travel is these days there's not a person on the planet (OK, maybe smaller than that) who wouldn't travel corporate jet if they had the means and avoid the full-body stupidity of TSA at your terminal of choice. VLJ's may make it worse. Too bad. Don't make me waste 1+30 at the airport every time I need to do the 1+30 hour flight from BWI to ATL.