• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAA 1st Class Medical.. Any shocks compared to Navy Med?

MasterBates

Going in Wednesday for a 1st Class from a Civ doc here in Wyoming.

I've previously gotten the rubberstamp medical from a AME qualified FS in the past, but not sure if there are any gotchas.

Anything that has caught you by surprise?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Not even close. 15 minutes in and out. just make sure and do the questionnaire online at the FAA site. That's what the docs use now.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Oh, and I just passed my multi-comm add-on checkride. Not that this is the place for it, but I just got home and I'm still smiling, soooo.... here it is. :) Now onto T-6 land and CFI/I!!

MasterBates

What I found odd.. Distance vision test was with C's that had openings up, down, left right. Odd to do.
Near vision used letters. In a font where F and P were fucking damned hard to tell apart. Machine appears to have been made in 1910. I think Orville and Wilbur did their medicals on this thing.

Doctor says I have "bad" astigmatism, but NOMI never has.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
DEFPOTEC CETOPFED

^Distance vision 20/20 line @ 15' read forwards and backwards in the office of the doc I go to for my 1st class physical. It's posted on the wall so you can memorize it while you're filling out the paperwork. ;)

Now the close and intermediate vision tests......that's a different story. I actually have to read those.....with my trifocals of course. :cool:

MasterBates

Didn't do an EKG. I'm not sure how that works, I know they have made some changes to how long medicals and such are good for. From what I'm seeing looking it up, no EKG until 35. Beat that by a year.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
EKG = Baseline at 35 and then once a year after turning 40.. FYI

I only know this because I just started the 40+ cycle