• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FA-18 slot openings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAMOM

Does anyone have any inside information on how many FA-18 slots there are for guys getting winged in December?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
It can and will change every day up to the day of selection.

Example, student at VFA-125 breaks his leg skiing, med down 3 months. Slot will open up. It can be that simple.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the Prowler draft. They have been known to draft guys who did well at the TRACOM boat to the EA-6B community. Why? Because the Prowler is harder to land on the boat.

SNAMOM

When do you select?

This is probably a dumb question, but when exactly do you select? Is it as soon as you finish. When do you usually find out what you will fly and where you will be going? Before or after winging?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
SNAMOM said:
This is probably a dumb question, but when exactly do you select? Is it as soon as you finish. When do you usually find out what you will fly and where you will be going? Before or after winging?

OK, I am old guy (winged 1992) but I am sure it hasn't changed much. Back when A-6E and EA-6B NFO's were the same pipeline, I had buddies find out that they got Prowlers that morning before winging.

Basically, students get to put in their preferences. Then, numbers are crunched. List will probably be posted the morning of the winging.

SNAMOM

Thanks for the info. Just a nervous Mom here. My son is getting winged 12-17 and like everyone else, he desperately wants F-18's. I know it is based on what slots are open at the time. From everything that I've heard, there aren't that many openings right now. I know he could get prowlers or I think they are called S-3's? I just wondered what the chances were of him getting either of those slots.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
SteveG75 said:
OK, I am old guy (winged 1992) but I am sure it hasn't changed much. Back when A-6E and EA-6B NFO's were the same pipeline, I had buddies find out that they got Prowlers that morning before winging.

They were still doing that in VT-86 until recently just with EA-6B/S-3 fellas... but now the S-3 is all but done...

Status
Not open for further replies.