• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F18EF Hydraulic/Systems Question re: Landing Gear

CAMike

None
Contributor
AMDO's or 18 types:

I was taking photos of a Flying Eagle that performed during the SF Fleet week air show demo and noticed the right main gear floated out of the locked position during a rolling maneuver. Upon completion of said maneuver the gear went back down completely and then appeared to be retracted without incident. I suppose this a typical CIV air show roll your eyes question but what causes this anomaly during a maneuver? Is it a common event for the newer 18's? Just curious I suppose. This was a VFA122 Flying Eagles 156 with Bureau# 156956, my camera resolution is good but I'm kind of guesstimating at the actual Bu #. Any ideas?

Out of sequence pics below, but photos Are from the same maneuver.

Gear 2 _MG_4455.jpgGear 3, _MG_4456.jpg Gear 0 _MG_4452.jpgGear 1 _MG_4454.jpg

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Likely the forces placed on the gear (side loading) didn't allow the planing link to lock in to place and allow both gear to lock out. As soon as that side load stopped, or there was enough positive g (or both), it locked out. The gear was only extended for the dirty roll, so he then raised the gear after.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would guess the BUNO is 166 vice 156. 156 is around BzB's time, I believe. 1621xx is 1986 time frame, just to give a point of reference.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If you look closely, the nose gear isn't fully extended either (look at the drag brace). Seems to me that he was retracting the gear, and the side loads (as mentioned above) resulted in the port main mount retracting faster than the starboard.

KBayDog

I would guess the BUNO is 166 vice 156. 156 is around BzB's time, I believe.

I've got a whole bunch of recent 153XXX and 154XXX time in my logbook...though I'd be willing to bet that Stinky has all sorts of real T&R currency in his 153XXX aircraft.

phrogpilot73

I've got a whole bunch of recent 153XXX and 154XXX time in my logbook...though I'd be willing to bet that Stinky has all sorts of real T&R currency in his 153XXX aircraft.
I've been stuck flying the new ones as of late... 157673 and 156433 in September... Did log some quality time in 153XXX and 154XXX bunos in August...

And yes, one of the new ones has ILS and an Aux In jack (aka iPod jack).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
FWIW when he did his demo at Miramar at the airshow, he took off dirty, and retracted the gear at about 180 degrees of the roll......so I'd say that the inverted pic is about halfway through bringing up the gear, if the demo didn't change between now and then.

CAMike

None
Contributor
OK. Upon rolling out wings level immediately after the aileron roll maneuver, the gear handle appeared to be untouched for about 2 seconds. After that point, the gear was brought up, they selected blower and set up for the next maneuver. Keep in mind that I'm just a SWO with a 65 knot mind- but that's the way I more or less observed it at the time. Less the mitigating FMC "Lo-Rum" state that appeared on my annunciator panel. Did I previously post that any AW.com that comes to the front door of the RV has a ration of rum-x3 awaiting Sat night at Jack Stones Barn? Hitchhiker trailer, remember that name on the trailer.

Threadjacking oneself is OK in certain situations?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK. Upon rolling out wings level immediately after the aileron roll maneuver, the gear handle appeared to be untouched for about 2 seconds. After that point, the gear was brought up, they selected blower and set up for the next maneuver. Keep in mind that I'm just a SWO with a 65 knot mind- but that's the way I more or less observed it at the time. Less the mitigating FMC "Lo-Rum" state that appeared on my annunciator panel. Did I previously post that any AW.com that comes to the front door of the RV has a ration of rum-x3 awaiting Sat night at Jack Stones Barn? Hitchhiker trailer, remember that name on the trailer.

Threadjacking oneself is OK in certain situations?
You're a good man. :)

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I'm not sure that really negates my statement. Yeah, I said it...your shit's old!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would guess the BUNO is 166 vice 156. 156 is around BzB's time, I believe. 1621xx is 1986 time frame, just to give a point of reference.

BzB's time was a even a bit earlier (144xxx thru 150xxx)!
BzB

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
BzB said:
BzB's time was a even a bit earlier (144xxx thru 150xxx)!
Just trying to give you the benefit of the doubt!

FIFY

"Bridge, Combat: Surface contact, 500,000 meters, port beam, .05 knots closure." "Red deck! Red deck! We gotta maneuver!" :D

Que? I used to be the one on the other end of that call, not the one making it.