• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18E vs F... benefits of one over the other?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What's so wacky about that? I've gunned just about every USAF fighter sans the Raptor from an AT-38....it's more about opportunity and pilot skill than hardware.

If only everyone was as good as HackerF15E!!! I never said it was wacky as the 45's are not used in that arena normally. Use them as the AF does their AT-38's then I would believe it happens on a more common basis.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
i remember reading about the f17/f16 competition while going through the tomcat rag (vf-124) at age 28 in '75.
hard to believe the f18 is still in production as i approach age 65.

I hope all those out there who think we should scrap the F-35 and just buy "more Rhinos for everyone" read that sentence.

It's not about finding a solution for the next 5 years, but the next 25+.

...end threadjack.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Folks must be pretty cocky to not take those dudes seriously......everything about them looks bad ass to me, though maybe I am just in awe because they get to taxi around with their canopies open....

Air wing training is pretty intense. Many events have upwards of around 20 or more blue aircraft and close to an equal number of red (sometimes more!). It isn't that they are that cocky, but when you have more advanced threats out there that are being talked about, guys forget to use proper radar sanitization and/or have correlation issues with "hits" on their radar. Everyone is talking about the multiple groups of big bad threat 60 or so miles away and next thing you hear is "RIGHTGUARD." Oh, and they are also watching out for unlocated SAM sites too. You'll see it.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Air wing training is pretty intense. Many events have upwards of around 20 or more blue aircraft and close to an equal number of red (sometimes more!). It isn't that they are that cocky, but when you have more advanced threats out there that are being talked about, guys forget to use proper radar sanitization and/or have correlation issues with "hits" on their radar. Everyone is talking about the multiple groups of big bad threat 60 or so miles away and next thing you hear is "RIGHTGUARD." Oh, and they are also watching out for unlocated SAM sites too. You'll see it.

What does "RIGHTGAURD" mean?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Rog, I guess I can imagine that. As you know, right now my world is very scripted and small :)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
What does "RIGHTGAURD" mean?

During an exercise you say thay if you've been 'notionally' shot down. Since emergencies can still happen during training, you only use MAYDAY for an actual emergency.

When it's a scenario shoot-down (like the event leading to a CSAR-Ex) then you broadcast RIGHTGUARD so folks understand it's all part of the game.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re: "What's so wacky about that? I've gunned just about every USAF fighter sans the Raptor from an AT-38....it's more about opportunity and pilot skill than hardware. "

how old is the newest t-38?
i think first flight was around '59.
not sure how long they were in production.
also, how long are they projected to remain in service?
replacement?

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
During an exercise you say thay if you've been 'notionally' shot down. Since emergencies can still happen during training, you only use MAYDAY for an actual emergency.

When it's a scenario shoot-down (like the event leading to a CSAR-Ex) then you broadcast RIGHTGUARD so folks understand it's all part of the game.

Does the etymology of that have anything to with deodorant?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

2 1/2 years later, I'll say you were right :)