• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18D and EA-6 NFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PhatFarmer35 said:
When the Navy replaces the EA-6 with the F/A-18G, would everything you guys said a EA-6 NFO would do be the same that an F/A-18G NFO would do, except everything would be done by one person?

Also, would an EA-6 pilot and NFO need top secret sercurity clearance to do their jobs?
Yes and yes. Like I said in another thread, the vast majority of aviators in the Navy will need a TS/SCI clearance just to do their flying jobs.

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
What Brett said, plus in the EA-18G, the pilot will end up doing some traditional NFO activities such as comms, nav, and radar work.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JDAM and hornets

SteveG75 said:
1) Bringback. C's and D' have the same max trap. D's have a heavier empty weight. So, you carry less ordinance or land with less gas. Don't even think of jettesioniing ordinance since we started replacing $5000 dumb bombs with $30,000 JDAMs. Either way, it is bad.

As I recall.....

On the Stennis, VMFA-314's F/A-18Cs had a lower max trap as they were deemed heavier than VFA-146 or 147's jets.

Max trap with a 2K JDAM for a USMC jet was ~2.8k. They flew a lot of Mode 1s (Case 3) to ensure getting aboard and were given priority in the pattern. They were Trick or Treat on the ball routinely if they did not drop.

Navy Hornets had a little bit more gas...enough for one look and a quick hook pass (again Case 3).

r/
G
Air Ops 99-02 CVN-74

SteveG75

None
Schnuggapup said:
As I recall.....

On the Stennis, VMFA-314's F/A-18Cs had a lower max trap as they were deemed heavier than VFA-146 or 147's jets.

Yeah, 314 had later blocks than 146/147/22 on my cruise. I want to say Block 17/18 versus 11. All I know is that the Marines had the newest toys with the most stuff.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
What Brett said, plus in the EA-18G, the pilot will end up doing some traditional NFO activities such as comms, nav, and radar work.
It's about damn time! Every day will be like pilot radio fridays!

Good Times,

Brett

Grant

Since USMC squadrons are deploying in CVW's more and more often, is there any talk of giving some of them newer birds (C-models)? VMFA-115 deploys regularly with F/A-18A+, and a few other single seater squadrons are still flying A's.

SteveG75

None
Grant said:
Since USMC squadrons are deploying in CVW's more and more often, is there any talk of giving some of them newer birds (C-models)? VMFA-115 deploys regularly with F/A-18A+, and a few other single seater squadrons are still flying A's.

My last cruise, the Marine had the newest C's (Block 18) while the Navy bubba's had 11's, 14's and 15's. Just luck of the draw.

theduke

So (with me being at TBS right now) assuming that I can't get switched to pilot, and assuming that I don't DOR from flight school, what are the odds of getting each aircraft?

What's the breakdown between EA6-Bs, F-18Ds, and Super Hornets?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
theduke said:
What's the breakdown between EA6-Bs, F-18Ds, and Super Hornets?

As UI said-- no Supers in the Corps. Prowlers versus Hornets for the USMC? From everything I've seen at selection time, it's strictly an NSS issue.

If you're perfect, you have nothing to worry about ;)

AirRyan

What's the rumours in the Prowler squadrons these days? As much as I would like to see the Corps buy some Block II/III F/A-18F (replace F/A-18D's and retain FAC(A)) and/or EA-18G's, but unfortunately I think it's a lot easier for the Corps to just retire the EA-6B's and disestablish the VMAQ squads. The mission just seems less a fit for the Corp's resume and say more a fit for the Air Force, but EB-52's sound crazy and I don't see the Air Force ever buying Super Hornets of any kind!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AirRyan said:
What's the rumours in the Prowler squadrons these days? As much as I would like to see the Corps buy some Block II/III F/A-18F (replace F/A-18D's and retain FAC(A)) and/or EA-18G's, but unfortunately I think it's a lot easier for the Corps to just retire the EA-6B's and disestablish the VMAQ squads. The mission just seems less a fit for the Corp's resume and say more a fit for the Air Force, but EB-52's sound crazy and I don't see the Air Force ever buying Super Hornets of any kind!
The Marines are not buying any G models, so they'll fly the last remaining Prowlers until they fall apart. I would imagine that as the Navy transitions, they'll give what they have to the Marines, assuming that the Navy airframes are in better shape. The Marines are also not buying ICAP-III systems for their Prowlers, so they'll get those handed down by default eventually.

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
SteveG75 said:
Yeah, 314 had later blocks than 146/147/22 on my cruise. I want to say Block 17/18 versus 11. All I know is that the Marines had the newest toys with the most stuff.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was next door in 112, Meat. Hop for hop, we pitied the guys from 22/146/147 because whoever ended up controlling the Marines in an even-handed engagement knew they were going to win. We'd go so far as to laugh AT each other when we split up the assignments. It wasn't anything personal against the Navy squadrons - they just had a tough time considering the age of their jets. The radar in the later blocks was pretty nice, and in the meantime it seemed the Navy guys were just hoping to launch at least an FMC section for a 4v4.

BTW Meat, I don't think the AF -15 guys at Kadena ever forgave us for calling your "break now" when we arbitrarily decided to tip you guys and trash a shot for them last cruise ("What do you mean by 'Monte Carlo'?") (you guys were a red striker on that hop). Truth be told, we were bored and they wouldn't take any direction at all from us. We were laughing our asses off the whole way back from the debrief. :D Clowns...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:

Straight from C Hornet driver's mouth: The A+ is superior than the C.

Those airframes have to be getting old though.

Status
Not open for further replies.