• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 Question C/D? E/F?

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
Thanks in advance for taking a look at my post!

I make military stationery, and hand-illustrate all of my images (no clip art or any of that). So now I'm going to start my F/A-18 stationery and I want to make it as accurate as possible without "getting stuck" on this plane and working on it for the next 4 months.

My husband said it might be easiest to do a hybrid/combo of the hornet and super hornet, but illustrating a nonexistent plane would make me sad!

So my question is... if I don't want to do separate stationery for all four planes, should I just start with one hornet and one super hornet? Would you have preferences about C vs. D or E vs. F?

If you fly a D but I illustrated a C, would that bother you if you were looking for stationery?

What if you fly a super hornet but I only illustrated the hornet? Would THAT bother you?

Just trying to feel out some opinions here! Thanks again for your time and responses.

I was thinking of starting with one F/A-18C and one F/A-18F

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I dont fly either, but it would seem that you could abstract an A/C/D model and a E/F/G model enough that it wouldn't matter.

The A/C/D look close enough alike (similar size, round intake, etc) that a legacy Hornet image would probably suffice for all three. Similar situation with the Super/Growler.

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
I dont fly either, but it would seem that you could abstract an A/C/D model and a E/F/G model enough that it wouldn't matter.

The A/C/D look close enough alike (similar size, round intake, etc) that a legacy Hornet image would probably suffice for all three. Similar situation with the Super/Growler.

Hmmm... I just assumed I'd have to do the Growler separately since it will have different "accessories" on the outsides of it.
I was also going to do some blue angels cards with the F/A-18A (since aren't they the only ones who still fly it?).

You've given me some food for thought. I think I'll need to stare at more pictures and get more input before I make my decision!

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Thanks in advance for taking a look at my post!

I make military stationery, and hand-illustrate all of my images (no clip art or any of that). So now I'm going to start my F/A-18 stationery and I want to make it as accurate as possible without "getting stuck" on this plane and working on it for the next 4 months.

My husband said it might be easiest to do a hybrid/combo of the hornet and super hornet, but illustrating a nonexistent plane would make me sad!

So my question is... if I don't want to do separate stationery for all four planes, should I just start with one hornet and one super hornet? Would you have preferences about C vs. D or E vs. F?

If you fly a D but I illustrated a C, would that bother you if you were looking for stationery?

What if you fly a super hornet but I only illustrated the hornet? Would THAT bother you?

Just trying to feel out some opinions here! Thanks again for your time and responses.

I was thinking of starting with one F/A-18C and one F/A-18F

I'm not a hornet driver either, however I think your idea is a good one. An F/A-18C would represent the legacy aircraft, as well as the single seat community. The F model would represent the 2-seat communities as well as the newer Rhinos ... all communities would be represented to some extent...

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
I'm not a hornet driver either, however I think your idea is a good one. An F/A-18C would represent the legacy aircraft, as well as the single seat community. The F model would represent the 2-seat communities as well as the newer Rhinos ... all communities would be represented to some extent...

Yeah, that's what I was hoping to achieve by picking those particular two... Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm a little wary of just taking my husband's advice after a couple cases that will have to result in stationery re-designs later down the road when I have time to tweak my existing stuff. haha.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Which is why I suggest you make any illustrations abstract enough such that you cant tell between a single or two seat aircraft.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Make a C, a D, and E, and an F. The G is going to pretty much look like an F airframe wise. If it is too much work, then Business 101 says don't do it. How many guys use stationery??????????

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
Ohhh you're right about the FOs. Darn.
Ok, I'm going to start with the C and the F and then fill in the blanks later with the others (or I'll speed myself up if I get several requests for the D, for example).

As far as guys using stationery, I've actually sold quite a bit to guys! They use them for Christmas cards or thank-you notes, or invitations to events. Other than that, yeah, it's pretty much the "supporting cast" who gets excited about it.

FLYTPAY, it's not an issue of it "not being worth it"... but at this point I'm trying to expand my line to appeal to as many people as I can, so I don't want to get hung up just working on tons of iterations of the F/A-18 when I could be moving on to E2s or something that will get looks from a different audience.

tlord82

pilot
I was also going to do some blue angels cards with the F/A-18A (since aren't they the only ones who still fly it?).

Actually, the Marines still have a couple squadrons of F/A-18As; they have really no external difference with the C, anyway. Just FYI.