• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 dragging banner?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I was driving past Miramar today and noticed two F/A-18s in formation. One of them was towing some kind of banner that had a single star on it. I've seen something similar in a video but am still unsure of what this is. Is it some kind of display regarding a change of command?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Back in the old days they used to tow aerial gunnery target banners, but I'd be surprised if this were the case now.....:eek:

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In F-14s the Tomcat pulled the banner for A/A Gunnery and was called the "Tractor," sometimes an A-4 pulled it for us.

Tow patterns: squirrel cage or circular that we flew.

I would not be surprised if it was an A/A banner tow. Did it drop it near the end of 24L?

Squid, you're in VMFAT-101, have you done guns yet?

ftrooper

pilot
It is a an aerial gunnery banner. Still used occasionally in the fleet squadrons to shoot 20mm, at least the Marine ones.

invertedflyer

In F-14s the Tomcat pulled the banner for A/A Gunnery and was called the "Tractor," sometimes an A-4 pulled it for us.

Tow patterns: squirrel cage or circular that we flew.

I would not be surprised if it was an A/A banner tow. Did it drop it near the end of 24L?

Squid, you're in VMFAT-101, have you done guns yet?

Yes, he did drop it at the end of the runway. It looked like the below picture except the star was red.

Attachments

• bd_onestarservicestarbanner.jpg
    bd_onestarservicestarbanner.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 49

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, he did drop it at the end of the runway. It looked like the below picture except the star was red.

We used to use the TDU-32 banner, but ours had a similar red (not orange as shown) border, but with a meatball and not a star:

tsystem0053fb3.gif

Link

invertedflyer

It could have been that very banner. They were moving at around 250 knots... and I was on the road near the east gate so I didn't have the best view of it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless someone on the ground calls for strafing in theatre......
Methinks he meant "The RAG does not shoot air-to-air" instead of "The fleet does not shoot air-to-ground . . ."

Or is my Internet humor detector busted?:icon_tong

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We used to use the TDU-32 banner, but ours had a similar red (not orange as shown) border, but with a meatball and not a star:

tsystem0053fb3.gif

Link
That IS the traditional air-to-air gunnery banner ... a red dot/meatball, not a star.

Anyone have any pix of the gunnery pattern??? Pensacola or Texas ... ??? T-2 or TA-4???

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know we used to use painted bullets and then lay the banner out next to the hangar post-flight...and count the hits by color.

Remember calling the banner...as in clock position to determine best direction for the tractor and pattern?

I got some old pics I've been digging through from the 80s. I got to start scanning them in. An F-14 pilot shot the A-4 in the wing once as it towed the tractor.

I've been in the tractor...and watching a guy get real sucked and seeing smoke from the gun always made me cringe.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in the day, towing a banner was dangerous duty. There was an F-8 driver that shot up two different tractor A-4's in the gunnery pattern.

The first he actually shot down and the A-4 pilot ejected safely. Then some time later, he shot another A-4 tractor. This time the guy made it back to Miramar. Later some jokers painted two A-4's on the side of the F-8 driver's aircraft. The F-8 pilot never got booted, but there was bad blood against him for years after that by the A-4 drivers.