• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35C Unable to Get Aboard Ship, really?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I hadn't heard the term before and thought that might be what it was, thanks for knowledges!

For flexible, responsive and 'dynamic' EA it would be a challenge for a UAV to do it since it would require a link, and links can be jammed or spoofed by......EA.

Depends on how worried you are about an EA vs. EA kind of fight. I don't think we really are (not trying to argue the right or wrong of that, just saying that's how it is) and there are plenty of scenarios where a "dumb" UAS with a smart pod would work fine. For the other scenarios, it's pretty obvious why stealth isn't a major concern, so the Growler ought to be fine for quite some time. I just can't see the point of an "EA" -35.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm going to have to pile on with Flash here. IMO, there are a whole boatload of issues with that idea, and I'll leave it at that.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
interesting comment in Flash's link about the hook point being too pointy.

Part of me finds it hard to believe that what makes a good hook point isn't well documented by now and designers just don't incomes a common hook point for all CV based aircraft

But, I can also see having to redesign a hook for each different airframe just another way to pad the final bill...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Part of me finds it hard to believe that what makes a good hook point isn't well documented by now and designers just don't incomes a common hook point for all CV based aircraft

But, I can also see having to redesign a hook for each different airframe just another way to pad the final bill...

I had something clever to say that would have only reinforced your point of view, but then I realized that would be repetitive. On a related note, I think I'll start keeping an eye on the discount DVD bin for The Pentagon Wars so I can add it to my library.

"How about portholes along the side of the JSF?"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

A big part of the reason that the F-35 is having issues is because the distance between the main gear and the tailhook is much shorter on the F-35 than other naval aircraft. They are using a previously designed tailhooks but the one they used initially just wasn't working. It is a lot less about the hook and a lot more about the plane. And a different hook point for a particular aircraft isn't going to add cost that much at all, especially when you are talking about each plane coming in at about $100 mil a piece.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
A big part of the reason that the F-35 is having issues is because the distance between the main gear and the tailhook is much shorter on the F-35 than other naval aircraft. They are using a previously designed tailhooks but the one they used initially just wasn't working. It is a lot less about the hook and a lot more about the plane. And a different hook point for a particular aircraft isn't going to add cost that much at all, especially when you are talking about each plane coming in at about $100 mil a piece.

Truth. I really think the hook problems do have more to do with geometry and less to do with actual hook point design. The hook point on a hornet is held to the shank by a big ass bolt. It can be taken off, chromed, and given to CAG Paddles as a going away gift :cool: hypothetically. What will be interesting as they work through the geometry problem is that there are only so many places on the keel of the aircraft where load limiting will allow for the hook to be attached. If they find that they have a fundamental design problem then it could get costly WRT $, or weight to fix it. Making the hook shank longer may be a solution, but I suspect that would introduce some engagement angle issues WRT alpha in the landing configuration.

Attachments

• hook point.png
    hook point.png
    732.7 KB · Views: 102

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'd love to see someone come up with a good fart joke that can somehow relate to a tailhook. That would take some serious skill.

Maybe something along the "pull my finger" theme... but yeah, it would take some serious skill to make that work.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I'd love to see someone come up with a good fart joke that can somehow relate to a tailhook. That would take some serious skill.

in the spirit of American Pie... "This one year at Tailhook....after we hit Taco Bell...."

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Recovering LSO is correct. It is about the distance between the main gear and the hook. Rolling tests on land are showing that the wheels are pushing the CDP down and it isn't popping up enough for the hook to grab it. I saw a graphic yesterday that showed the distance to be half of what the Hornet/Rhino is and almost a third of the Tomcat. The closest was the A-4, which was still roughly 25% longer gear to hook distance than the F-35C.

The entire F-35 is pretty close to being an epic fail.