• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35C transitions

Llarry

Is it just me or is the transition to the F-35C going at a snail's pace? The Navy goal is two F-35C VFAs per CVW and we're currently at two deploying squadrons (VFAs 97 & 147). The Marines are to have just four CVW-assigned F-35C squadrons and are already halfway there with two VMFAs flying the F-35C.

The Air Force has multiple wings flying the F-35A and the Marine Corps is about halfway transitioned to their ultimate F-35B force. What's up with the Navy?

⁉️

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is it just me or is the transition to the F-35C going at a snail's pace? The Navy goal is two F-35C VFAs per CVW and we're currently at two deploying squadrons (VFAs 97 & 147). The Marines are to have just four CVW-assigned F-35C squadrons and are already halfway there with two VMFAs flying the F-35C.

The Air Force has multiple wings flying the F-35A and the Marine Corps is about halfway transitioned to their ultimate F-35B force. What's up with the Navy?

⁉️

LLarry, what if I told you that you don’t have to create a separate thread for everything that’s on your mind?

Llarry

LLarry, what if I told you that you don’t have to create a separate thread for everything that’s on your mind?
Criticism accepted. Moderator, if you read this, feel free to merge this with the F-35C thread. (I've been unable to find such a thread using the search function.)

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Air Force has multiple wings flying the F-35A and the Marine Corps is about halfway transitioned to their ultimate F-35B force.
Those services IOC'd in 2015 and 2016 - four years earlier than the Navy, which is why they are further along in the transition.

HuggyU2

None
Trivia:
Almost 1,000 F-35's have been delivered and there are over 2,100 F-35 pilots.
(As compared to 104 jets and ~1,100 U-2 pilots in 68 years).

Pretty spectacular growth.
Those services IOC'd in 2015 and 2016 - four years earlier than the Navy, which is why they are further along in the transition.
I was the announcer for the Yuma Airshow in 2013 (I think that was the year). They had 3 F-35B's on the ramp. If I recall correctly, the Marines were going to go IOC in 2015 also.

Brett, I realize you stated "Navy IOC", which came later. I am simply pointing out that the Marines have been F-35B IOC about the same length of time as the AF.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, I realize you stated "Navy IOC", which came later. I am simply pointing out that the Marines have been F-35B IOC about the same length of time as the AF.
Yes, which is exactly what I stated in my post, no?

HuggyU2

None
Yes, which is exactly what I stated in my post, no?
Yes... which is exactly the point I clarified... knowing that if I didn't clarify it, you would reply.
Of course, I knew you would find a way to reply anyways.

This post of mine is a waste of everyone's reading time.
As is the one above mine.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes... which is exactly the point I clarified... knowing that if I didn't clarify it, you would reply.
Of course, I knew you would find a way to reply anyways.

This post of mine is a waste of everyone's reading time.
As is the one above mine.
Was I not supposed to reply?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A good share of the C model NAVAIR PMO is relocating here to AFMC/WPAFB. And even a fellow A-Dub here has worked on that program - the headwinds are well reported in the public trade rags - mostly with shipboard interface/logistics issues. (e.g. Gun pod logistics and storage anyone?) And given the Navy centric cultural issues between things that fly and things that float, not surprising. But all this will of course be overcome and build momentum. Not unlike so many programs in the past IMHO.

C Model Coin (presented to me by an FRS IP), and F-35A model on my desk!

1689965191376.png

Last edited:

Llarry

My ChiCom handlers (well, actually scramble.nl) say that VFA-147 moves to Japan in 2024 to replace VFA-115 in CVW-5. Which would leave VFA-115 rattling around somewhere in search of a new home -- and maybe a new aircraft? Something with a -35 in it? (I'm hoping this question is not an OPSEC issue...) F-35C of VFA-147 ready to launch.jpg

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
My ChiCom handlers (well, actually scramble.nl) say that VFA-147 moves to Japan in 2024 to replace VFA-115 in CVW-5. Which would leave VFA-115 rattling around somewhere in search of a new home -- and maybe a new aircraft? Something with a -35 in it? (I'm hoping this question is not an OPSEC issue...) View attachment 39555
Those who'll tell you don't know and those who know won't tell you.