• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B?

_andrew

I am going to OCS this October on a flight contract and I would like to eventually go fixed wing but I will gladly take anything the Marines offer me(If i make it). Out of curiosity I have heard that the marines are getting the F-35B in the summer of 2015. Does anyone know how the integration of a new aircraft works? At what point would they stop training f-18 and harrier pilots & how long does it take to phase out an aircraft?

_andrew

ill take this as a welcome to the next 9 years of your life. This may be a less stupid question(or not), but what is the difference between tan and green flight suits? When I went to the airshow all the marine aviators were wearing tan flight suits but some navy squadrons like VFA211 have tan? Is there any significance?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
ill take this as a welcome to the next 9 years of your life. This may be a less stupid question(or not), but what is the difference between tan and green flight suits?

Uhhh...the color?

...slightly lighter material.

As to the significance...when in places that are really hot, we wear tan.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
There's an F-35 thread in these forums that will answer a lot of your questions.

The MC already has one fleet F-35B squadron stood up. Also, the MC plans on flying the F/A-18 and the Harrier until 2027-8 timeframe so training new guys won't stop for a long while.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
[/COLOR]ill take this as a welcome to the next 9 years of your life. This may be a less stupid question(or not), but what is the difference between tan and green flight suits? When I went to the airshow all the Marine aviators were wearing tan flight suits but some Navy squadrons like VFA211 have tan? Is there any significance?
andrew, are you really in college? When I started reading your post, from the first word ill I thought you were feeling poorly (Capitalize/punctuate). Also, Navy & Marine are always capitalized, and squadron type-number are always hyphenated (VFA-211). As an Officer, excellent writing are a must. Best to start now, as good grammar is a non-waiverable requirement for ALL F-35B pilots.;)
BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
As to the significance...when in places that are really hot, we wear tan.

In Hot, dry places wear brown.
In hot, wet places (like the Philippines) wear green.
The color should serve as some camouflage for a downed aviator.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
When deployed, Marines wear whatever color makes sense in that environment. At home, it's green in the winter and tan in the summer no matter where your base is. Navy does it as described above.

longshot07

To the OP.
When I checked into to K-Ville last year the talk was that my class could be the first batch of studs to select JSF. Fast forward to Jan. where I had a chance to talk to an F-35 guy in Yuma ( and see the JSF in person which was sweet) and the gouge was that JSF pilots will only come from transition boards for the next two or three years.
I find out if I go Hornets Harriers or Prowlers next week so I might shoot for it later on but we'll see. These things change all the time if you haven't picked up on that yet from the previous posts.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
There's an F-35 thread in these forums that will answer a lot of your questions.

The MC already has one fleet F-35B squadron stood up. Also, the MC plans on flying the F/A-18 and the Harrier until 2027-8 timeframe so training new guys won't stop for a long while.

2027 may be the party line, but that is absurd.