• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Does anyone have a link to the FY12 AVPLAN? I've tried searching for it but have had no luck.
I have it on my NMCI laptop but it's obsolete. It still has 332 standing back up as the first F-35B squadron...as we now know, 332 is dead and instead, 121 transitioned from F/A-18 to F-35B. It says nothing of VMA-513 going away. That's just pointy nose. The chopper's portion of the FY12 AvPlan didn't play out as written either. The draft Fy13 is in the wild.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It more boils down to their treatment of sensitive material. Rather than the Navy/MC lalalala-stick-your-fingers-in-your-ears method of dealing with AMUs/DSUs and WMCs loaded (or once-loaded) with crypto or other restricted material, they take it a little more seriously.

Not to mention the need for a special tool to even get the ladder open. With all of the engineering that went into it they couldn't make a way for the pilot to get himself out or even for a PC to get him out without high speed wrench. It doesn't stop us in the TAV8B at civilian fields to not even have steps or a ladder, but I would guess its probably not kosher to walk around with dirty, grimy boots on the back of the JSF either. The more I think about it the more I realize how alien the maintenance concepts needed for LO are to the Marine Corps right now.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Not to mention the need for a special tool to even get the ladder open. With all of the engineering that went into it they couldn't make a way for the pilot to get himself out or even for a PC to get him out without high speed wrench. It doesn't stop us in the TAV8B at civilian fields to not even have steps or a ladder, but I would guess its probably not kosher to walk around with dirty, grimy boots on the back of the JSF either. The more I think about it the more I realize how alien the maintenance concepts needed for LO are to the Marine Corps right now.

Really? A special tool to get the ladder open? Jeez...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm sure it's not something we've never seen before. The fact remains that there's a door concealing the boarding ladder that the pilot can't affect, and that the typical FBO lineman probably doesn't have the means to open. Of course you could use the hang and drop method, or the one foot takeoff, two foot landing method that they teach at OCS. Or maybe they have a step ladder in the hangar.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I'm sure it's not something we've never seen before. The fact remains that there's a door concealing the boarding ladder that the pilot can't affect, and that the typical FBO lineman probably doesn't have the means to open. Of course you could use the hang and drop method, or the one foot takeoff, two foot landing method that they teach at OCS. Or maybe they have a step ladder in the hangar.

Guess if it's a special tool I wouldn't bother having one avail - on the off chance that an F-35 shows up out of the blue. Since the whole cross-country deal appears to be a non-starter for the F-35 guys it's a moot point.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Guess if it's a special tool I wouldn't bother having one avail - on the off chance that an F-35 shows up out of the blue. Since the whole cross-country deal appears to be a non-starter for the F-35 guys it's a moot point.
Just another ploy to make more money off the government, I'm sure we could find a B1 stand here to aid in exiting and entering the aircraft. ;)