• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Anyone want to take odds on 20,000 F-16 C/D's vs. 2,500 F-35's?

Well, that comparison'll will be really relevant when Civil War II kicks off. Meanwhile, when we launch 20k F-16's against a serious IADS like North Korea's, their SAM gunners get to break out the paint and silhouettes.

Comparing it to last year's tech just isn't a useful cost comparison - because we're requiring gucci shit the last generation didn't have - or we'd just buy more vipers. The cost savings were over developing three fighters in parallel, not over buying last year's model.

You're also not figuring the continuing costs of flying, maintaining, and staffing 10x as many fighters.

Flying Toaster

None
Well, that comparison'll will be really relevant when Civil War II kicks off. Meanwhile, when we launch 20k F-16's against a serious IADS like North Korea's, their SAM gunners get to break out the paint and silhouettes.

Comparing it to last year's tech just isn't a useful cost comparison - because we're requiring gucci shit the last generation didn't have - or we'd just buy more vipers. The cost savings were over developing three fighters in parallel, not over buying last year's model.

You're also not figuring the continuing costs of flying, maintaining, and staffing 10x as many fighters.

Just throwing it out there for fun, not any sort of serious argument, but since you want to go there... That comparison would be useful when considering a war with China. At some points shear numbers will win over capabilities, you don't have to look very far back in history to find examples. If China devotes even a small percentage of their manufacturing to fighters, it isn't that unreasonable to imagine they could turn out 10K+ 4th gen fighters in the realm of block 30 Vipers. That'll be real fun for the F-35 driver with a whopping 2 AMRAAM's and no gun. As for Korea, I'm sure what ever the watered down final number of F-35's we end up with would really do a better job than 3-8K F-15E's. Anyway, I'm just armchair quarterbacking when it comes to capabilities, I'll shut up now.

As far as costs, you're missing my point. Buying 20K Vipers or spending 329 billion on any one of the aircraft listed is clearly not the solution. Just like spending 329 billion on the F-35 is looking like it wasn't the solution either. By throwing all our nations air superiority eggs in the same basket, we have created something "too big to fail." Look how well that has worked for the private sector. By creating a program with such a large footprint we've also also managed to create an equally massive target. Have fun convincing American's to sacrifice their Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, and free health insurance, for a bunch of "unnecessary" fighter planes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where this is going.

How many people complained when the Navy bought 124 more Rhinos? I didn't hear a peep. The larger a project, the bigger a target it becomes, and it can be assured the less cost efficient it will be. I understand the merits of developing "three" fighters at once, but I'm not buying. There is a reason tools boxes have room for more than one tool. Why not get more B-2's and F-22's? Both are proven products which can go into production with a relatively set price. Sure the F-22 isn't "multi-role" but 80 more B-2's could certainly fill some of the gap. What about CAS? I'm sure the grunts will feel a lot more comfortable with gun less F-35's and pred's, than A-10's. God forbid the Navy actually develop its own airframe (well considering the A-12 maybe that's a valid point). Why does the Guard need F-35's for the ASA mission? There is no reason they couldn't use more Vipers or Eagles. Even without "day 1" capability I'm sure they could contribute in a real shooting war. Not to mention they'd be happy to make due with "last years tech" over 35 year old tech, or the even greater likelihood of empty ramps.

None of those are necessarily "the" option or even a valid option, but instead of throwing all the chips on the table perhaps those at the top should consider alternatives, some might actually be better.

Anyone who doesn't see new weapons procurements as a huge problem needs to take the blinders off. Unfortunately the JSF has already entered that death spiral. Rising costs, causing order cuts, which only cause the price to rise more, until we have some pittance of the number we wanted. If by some miracle, and against all evidence to the contrary we get 2,500 F-35 A/B/C's, on budget, with a flyaway cost of 55 mil, on time (ohhh wait, too late for that), and does everything as advertised, I'll gladly eat my words.

Yeah, you're right. Cost comparisons to outdated technology like the F-22 and B-2 aren't useful. We should just blindly drink LM's and Secretary Gates Kool Aid and not consider any other options. From what I've gathered from the outside looking in, it's more important to throw money, time, and effort ot things like repealing DADT, so everyone feels good about themselves, than unimportant things like creating an effective fighting force that can survive our current financial situation.

[/long ass rant]

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
+1 to the above.

Also what many people fail to realize is that the newest Rhinos coming off the line are damn close to the cutting edge as far as tech stuff is concerned. The RCS has been greatly improved and when it comes down to a BFM engagement it's not unheard of to have Rhinos getting several good shoots on F-22s. I am not a huge fan of having a 100 million dollar single engine jet either.

At the end of the day it boils down to the quality of the man in the box. The JSF is a nice new toy but I just don't think it's current(publicized) capabilities justify the bloated cost.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
If China devotes even a small percentage of their manufacturing to fighters, it isn't that unreasonable to imagine they could turn out 10K+ 4th gen fighters in the realm of block 30 Vipers.
Are they churning out old tech by the hundreds or are they pursuing the next generation just as we are? You can't pursue force structure on a fanciful hypothesis about what our adversary "could" do. Sure, they could turn on a dime and churn out the fighters.....but they aren't going to churn out the pilots. That takes time, and we would have ample opportunity to react. A manufacturing shortfall is far easier to make up than a technological one.

You throw out "alternatives" but they aren't really. The B-2 was designed for the third leg of our nuclear deterrent - it's been pressed into use as a bomb truck but it's a completely different mission from the strike fighter's. We wax nostalgic about the A-10 but in a low-threat environment it's role can be filled at lesser cost by turboprop fixed-wing CAS, which we are acquiring. In a high-threat environment it's dead, so how's the grunt going to feel about the CAS that's just got shot down by 1970's tech?

It's all well and good to whine about "alternatives", but what are they, really?

-roll the clock back and develop the F-36 in parallel, effectively doubling the enormous cost of development while halving the economies of scale. It mitigates some risk in that we can cancel one if the other gets bloated, but at the point that we see the bloat, we've already sunk a good portion of the development costs. And unless both were designed to be joint, we're effectively married to both of them or stuck spending the cost to modify a land-based fighter for the carrier or vice versa.

-augment the JSF force with 4.5 gen Super Hornets. It's a fine plan in the short run, and if we were to go to war tomorrow or in the next few years it'd be a great idea. But there isn't a conventional war on the near horizon and spending procurement costs on the SH comes at the cost of elevating the costs of the JSF and making us worse off 20 years down the road when we have fewer JSF's supplemented by older SH's. The institution is rightly balancing the needs of today with ensuring that we have a capable fleet in 20 years.

Secretary Gates is by no means drinking corporate kool-aid on procurement, but the fixable issues are in the way the contracts are written and not in the basic idea of the JSF. If we're comfortable with the idea of the SH as a stop-gap for the Navy and Air Force's strike fighter needs, then why do we think the Navy and AF need wholly separate airframes for the next generation? I'm more dubious about the STOVL portion, but that's where the Marines chose to put their eggs.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Toaster, what a silly argument. We aren't going to get thousands of old planes. There is a reason they design new ones. Also, the prices are just ridiculous. You think you can get an F-15E for $30 million? The Silent Eagle they are working on now will go for about 100. According to Navy Times, Super Hornets are going for about $70 million in the newest buy.

ryan1234

Toaster, what a silly argument. We aren't going to get thousands of old planes. There is a reason they design new ones. Also, the prices are just ridiculous. You think you can get an F-15E for $30 million? The Silent Eagle they are working on now will go for about 100. According to Navy Times, Super Hornets are going for about $70 million in the newest buy.

I think the point he was trying to make is that the lesser than F-35 fighters (i.e. Super Hornet, etc) are still very capable... and a cost effective buy... and that quantity has a certain quality.

'Course if we wouldn't have put money into projects like the F-X, etc we may not have what we have today... so I can see what you're saying.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
In our society, the loss of a human life is such huge issue back home that it is worth it to spend abusurd amounts on the best equipment available.
Our military these days is all about quality (compared to our enemies). "Quantity has a quality all its own"... lets leave that for the commies.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor

While I may be wrong, I believe the multi-year contract for ~ 124 Rhinos is priced at $50MM per a/c. That was the price Boeing offered to get a multi-year, large buy.

Clux4

Banned
Unfortunately, we still will not get all the required F-35 and will still have to result to buying the "4th GEN" Fighters.

Flying Toaster

None

What part of-

Regardless, it helps put an unfathomably large number into perspective and gives a frame of reference for exactly how "affordable" the JSF is.

Is a silly argument? What is more relevant than the cost of other 4/4.5/5th generation aircraft? Would you prefer I used cupcakes as a frame of reference?

Also it would appear the figure you quoted from the Navy Times is wrong on the Rhino/Growler-

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/09/30/348008/us-navy-signs-for-124-more-super-hornets.html

5,300,000,000/124= 42,741,935

Agreed on the 15E, unlikely for that price, but it's amazing what an absurdly large order could do. If you read my post you would also note I cited that as being a figure in 98' prices and included the Silent Eagle as well. Of course they factor the cost of development into the cost of the first buy of every aircraft, so a second buy without any major developmental changes can be significantly less (re: the Rhino).

In our society, the loss of a human life is such huge issue back home that it is worth it to spend abusurd amounts on the best equipment available.
Our military these days is all about quality (compared to our enemies). "Quantity has a quality all its own"... lets leave that for the commies.

Very valid point, especially about the price we put on human life. I guess it really comes down to personal opinion, but I would argue we've gone too far down this road. If I was looking for a nice cushy safe job, I'd be trying to get into accounting. If a real shooting war with a major nation ever breaks out these daily causality counts dictating policy are going to be gone in a hurry. Hopefully that never happens, but that is likelihood "2500" JSF's are being built for.

It wasn't very long ago we successfully subscribed to that logic, not exactly reserved for the commies. Just look at the Tiger Tank vs. the Sherman for the simplest analogy. The Tiger was vastly superior in every way shape and form, but it was largely ineffective considering we built 5+ Sherman's for every one. Of course that isn't the goal, clearly it's better to produce a lot of really good equipment. For the really staggering figures check out fighter/bomber production during WWII.

Are they churning out old tech by the hundreds or are they pursuing the next generation just as we are? You can't pursue force structure on a fanciful hypothesis about what our adversary "could" do. Sure, they could turn on a dime and churn out the fighters.....but they aren't going to churn out the pilots. That takes time, and we would have ample opportunity to react. A manufacturing shortfall is far easier to make up than a technological one.

You throw out "alternatives" but they aren't really. The B-2 was designed for the third leg of our nuclear deterrent - it's been pressed into use as a bomb truck but it's a completely different mission from the strike fighter's. We wax nostalgic about the A-10 but in a low-threat environment it's role can be filled at lesser cost by turboprop fixed-wing CAS, which we are acquiring. In a high-threat environment it's dead, so how's the grunt going to feel about the CAS that's just got shot down by 1970's tech?

It's all well and good to whine about "alternatives", but what are they, really?

-roll the clock back and develop the F-36 in parallel, effectively doubling the enormous cost of development while halving the economies of scale. It mitigates some risk in that we can cancel one if the other gets bloated, but at the point that we see the bloat, we've already sunk a good portion of the development costs. And unless both were designed to be joint, we're effectively married to both of them or stuck spending the cost to modify a land-based fighter for the carrier or vice versa.

-augment the JSF force with 4.5 gen Super Hornets. It's a fine plan in the short run, and if we were to go to war tomorrow or in the next few years it'd be a great idea. But there isn't a conventional war on the near horizon and spending procurement costs on the SH comes at the cost of elevating the costs of the JSF and making us worse off 20 years down the road when we have fewer JSF's supplemented by older SH's. The institution is rightly balancing the needs of today with ensuring that we have a capable fleet in 20 years.

Secretary Gates is by no means drinking corporate kool-aid on procurement, but the fixable issues are in the way the contracts are written and not in the basic idea of the JSF. If we're comfortable with the idea of the SH as a stop-gap for the Navy and Air Force's strike fighter needs, then why do we think the Navy and AF need wholly separate airframes for the next generation? I'm more dubious about the STOVL portion, but that's where the Marines chose to put their eggs.

If you're arguing our force structure shouldn't be based on what our enemy "could" do, I guess you think it should be based on what they "can" do? Whatever happened to hope for the best, prepare for the worst? If we're just preparing for today and what our enemies "can" do, we really don't need the JSF. Some mix of F-22's, F-15C's, F-15E's, Vipers, and Hornets would easily cover the base. The C model Eagles have already waxed the floor with the best the East has.

Also do you really think China will be particularly transparent in their weapons development? They certainly won't slip 10K planes under the radar, but unlike Western countries they don't have an infatuation with announcing every single development. Once the facilities are there, planes can be mass produced just like anything else. You can't use our model for procurements as a standard for the rest of the world. When a country doesn't have to go through a bidding process, can dictate price, labor, and every other factor it is amazing how many, and how quickly things can get built.

I disagree totally with your assertion that a technological gap is worse than a manufacturing gap. Neither is good, but a manufacturing gap is at least as bad. It's awesome if you have all this great technology but no way to produce it. This countries manufacturing base has truly been decimated by China. That isn't a political talking point, it's just a fact. That isn't something can be rebuilt or retooled overnight, that is infrastructure which takes years if not decades to develop. It's more than manufacturing itself, just look at the way the have monopolized natural rescoures. Plus, you are still avoiding the fact at some point simple machines and sheer numbers will eventually win.

One thing I will say with some conviction is that killing the F-22 with the argument the JSF is going to replace/supplement it was stupid. Plain and simple. There was nothing but politics and an agenda involved in that decision. At long last we have a proven world beater finally rolling off the lines at a set/decreasing price and cancel production? The rest of the world outright acknowledges the current battle in terms for fighters is really for second place. Even when you ask pilots flying on our side they acknowledge it is in another league. Instead we get saddled with some overweight single engine strike "fighter" which can only carry two AMRAAM's internally. Had we just continued the full F-22 buy and not been in such a hurry to retire legacy aircraft to fund this monstrosity of a project, much of this discussion and concern about a "fighter gap" wouldn't exist.

The B-2 may not be an "alternative" for a strike fighter, but it's certainly a useful tool for day 1 of a non nuclear war. I don't think you can dismiss it entirely as an option. I think we're so hung up on the small war doctrine we've forgotten that "strike fighters" aren't to solution for everything. I won't even go there with A-10's, I'm sure some Hog drivers differ. Regardless, debating the semantics of these various airframes on the internet isn't really going to solve anything. I was simply using that as an example to illustrate the incredible cost and perhaps suggest there were alternatives.

To be entirely honest I have no idea what those alternatives are. I just know blindly charging down a road because no one wants to make tough decisions and come up with a viable solution is never the answer. I've heard enough of that lately and am sick of it, maybe I live in the wrong country now. I'm just an immature college kid who spends too much time reading defense and business publications killing time until I can hopefully get in the cockpit, but I know BS when I see it. Most of this doesn't take a degree is astrophysics to realize. I was hoping some people at the top might make an effort, but apparently if you voice your opinion and the SECDEF or POTUS don't like it, you get canned. I'm the last person to be opposed to defense spending or projects of any sort. Especially ones relating to the future of our air superiority. I guess I just see this project becoming a politically expedient way to drastically cut the strength of our air power, I just hope I'm wrong.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I don't know what the alternatives are, but I'll snipe at the plan and throw out irrelevant metrics to ridicule it. Gotcha.

I laid out the realistic alternatives for you. The current JSF purchase is by no means ideal, but given the budget crunch and the unappealing alternatives, it's the most sound way forward. Spending more, without an immediate threat, is not a realistic option.

You absolutely do not spread yourself thin defending against everything the enemy can do. You cover the most likely courses of action and leave yourself some room to mitigate the less likely courses of action. There is little reason to expect a US-China war in the next few years and spending like we're going to fight WWIII tomorrow is a quick way to follow the Soviet Union into bankruptcy and irrelevance. Industrial manufacturing of the scale you're afraid of is extremely hard to hide without secondary indicators, and we don't need to read a press release to figure out if they're spooling up fighter production or if relations deteriorate. What applies to our manufacturing base applies to theirs as well.

Can the defense pubs (like the gun mags, they're manufacturer advertisements, disguised as articles) and read some books on strategy and policy. Military strength doesn't mean a damn thing without an idea of what you're going to use it for.

One thing I will say with some conviction is that killing the F-22 with the argument the JSF is going to replace/supplement it was stupid. Plain and simple. There was nothing but politics and an agenda involved in that decision.
I guess I just see this project becoming a politically expedient way to drastically cut the strength of our air power, I just hope I'm wrong.

That says it all. You seriously think the POTUS and SECDEF's motives are to cut American military strength? Get a fucking grip.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You seriously think the POTUS and SECDEF's motives are to cut American military strength? Get a fucking grip.
I have no doubt the current POTUS would love to cut our military strength. He wants to use the money to fund his socialist ideology. And SECDEF serves at the pleasure of the POTUS and enacts his policies, so yes - SECDEF is part of the problem too. POTUS wants to subjugate the U.S. to a world government.

Hopefully the November elections make it harder for POTUS to enact his "change" before he's voted out in 2 years.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I suppose his commitment to Afghanistan is all part of his master plan to weaken the U.S. by fighting ragheads so we can cut spending on conventional weapons platforms.

...sigh....