• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

At least he was honest about not getting any 60 year old tail. Tell me where I can get a GPS radio. I didn't realize the walkie talkie I used to have when I was five was fancy GPS radio.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
I hadn't realized that the decision to equip them with nukular lasers had been finalized yet. A lot of stuff can happen over the first few days of thanksgiving holiday.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congress has already bought some. They are on the assembly line right now.

Still got some issues to deal with before any go operational.....latest news will be coming out of Defense Acquisition Board held on Monday, Nov 22, which will rebaseline anticipated costs (nonrecurring R&D and unit cost with Brits pulling out + more expensive in both cases). With latest issue of aluminum structural members not performing as hoped, F-35 is not out of woods yet....

navyao

The Corsair II was an ordnance platform and proved that if you put a big enough engine in a dump truck it would fly!

navyao

I realize I'm not an Aeronautical Engineer, Aviator, etc. but the whole B & C not having a gun, is that smart? I realize there's a pod but that also takes away the whole idea of "stealth." We all know the F-4 story about going to war without a gun and counting on missile technology and that the day of the knife fight was over...is history repeating itself? How long will it take for one of you guys that gets this bird to say, "If I only would've had a gun..."

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I realize I'm not an Aeronautical Engineer, Aviator, etc. but the whole B & C not having a gun, is that smart? I realize there's a pod but that also takes away the whole idea of "stealth." We all know the F-4 story about going to war without a gun and counting on missile technology and that the day of the knife fight was over...is history repeating itself? How long will it take for one of you guys that gets this bird to say, "If I only would've had a gun..."

I'll happen the 1st time a Navy or Marine F-35 driver has to fight his (or her) way into, or out of, a target area over contested airspace. They'll get into a turning fight and wish to hell they had a gun when there's 1-2 sec. to acquire, fix & shoot the bogey. JMHO, of course.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's a plane with compromises, at least there is a provision for a gun in the first place.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's not just whether each variant has a gun, it's also whether it should be canted up (for air-to-air) or down (for air-to-ground)

Clux4

Banned
Or, maybe he sees that going to the mat for the MV-22 got the Marine Corps a successful aircraft, so why not do it again? Seems you think his background brings him better judgement only as far as that judgement agrees with yours.
EFV is still toast, though.

He probably would not want to be known as the Commandant that did not fight for the F-35. As HJ is reporting he might have be get realistic real soon.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
He probably would not want to be known as the Commandant that did not fight for the F-35. As HJ is reporting he might have be get realistic real soon.

Why don't the Marines just buy a bunch of AH-64D Apaches & blow-off the whole fixed wing thingy? It would take them out of the long-range strike business but would save the Corps billions every year.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
We've already got attack helicopters. Putting range aside, F/W and R/W CAS bring different capabilities to the fight, besides.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Why don't the Marines just buy a bunch of AH-64D Apaches & blow-off the whole fixed wing thingy? It would take them out of the long-range strike business but would save the Corps billions every year.

Better yet, the Marines could just tranfer all tanks and infantry to the Army, because that would save even more money.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Better yet, the Marines could just tranfer all tanks and infantry to the Army, because that would save even more money.

Why stop there? Our artillery officers already go to an Army school, why not just get rid of Artillery too? Think of the savings!