• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recall reading somewhere that they did a proof-of-concept deployment (or an underway, at least) of Harriers as part of a CVW back in the early '80's. Apparently it worked just fine, but obviously the idea never went anywhere.

The USS Franklin D Roosevelt embarked VMA-231 and it's AV-8As on her last cruise in 1976-77.

The FDR with some FOD on her deck:

USS_Roosevelt_CV-42_Med_1976-77.jpg

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I guess I should have said, "No other service is going to operate two versions of the F-35; why should we?" Plus, I'm guessing there is much more difference between the F-35 A/B/C and the H-60 B/F/H/R/S. I mean, it's not like one can't land on a boat, only one can land vertically and only one can land on a carrier....

Why does the Marine Corps currently operate a mix of single and two seat Hornets, Harriers, and Prowlers? Because they each have distinct capabilities. I'm not sure why you think it would be so strange to get a mix of B's and C's.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Why does the Marine Corps currently operate a mix of single and two seat Hornets, Harriers, and Prowlers? Because they each have distinct capabilities. I'm not sure why you think it would be so strange to get a mix of B's and C's.

Right. And why do we need the capability to take a cat shot and trap on a boat? What does that bring to the MAGTFery that a B model on an gator Navy boat doesn't?

Serious question: When it comes down to it what are those C model Hornets that are launching off of a carrier doing for us as whole that an F-35B on an LHD or at some airbase isn't/woudn't able to do? (Besides keeping a Marine presence on the carrier?)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Right. And why do we need the capability to take a cat shot and trap on a boat? What does that bring to the MAGTFery that a B model on an gator Navy boat doesn't?

Serious question: When it comes down to it what are those C model Hornets that are launching off of a carrier doing for us as whole that an F-35B on an LHD or at some airbase isn't/woudn't able to do? (Besides keeping a Marine presence on the carrier?)

What will the C model have that the B won't? Greater range and payload. Currently the Marines use about 100 Harriers to outfit our amphibs. Why would we need 400 to replace them? I will be surprised if we really only get STOVL F-35's.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Broken jet + shit weather, tomorrow looks better. You have your very own orange and white with your name on it yet? Drag some stud up here and party

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
The Corps is going to buy the F-35B, and that's it. Is it possible that they someday might seriously consider buying the F-35C? Technically, perhaps. About as likely as the perpetual rumor that the Army is going to get A-10s "soon". Or that the navy is going to bring back the battleship.

SWO-Sense tingling. Ahhhhh. :icon_smil

incubus852

pilot
I dont mean to start a Navy vs. USMC debate, but I prefer the planes USMC flies

What, broken ones?

I love the idea of PLC, I love the idea of getting to do stuff like FAC.

Navy guys do FAC too. Especially when the Deltas don't get off the ground because they're falling apart.

I prefer the USMC rank system and general way of doing things.

O-1 is an O-1... and regarding the general way of doing things... do you prefer "hey, bro, did you get __ done? thanks man" or "what the fuck. get that shit done. dismissed."

Since I have no love for boats, I would much rather be trained to do Infantry things in addition to flight, instead of having to learn stuff related to sailing.

Yea I hate boats too. I just like flying off them. And from my persective, my marine buds havel learned minimal stuff about ground pounding and brain-dumped it. There is a stark division between grunts and drivers. And I don't know jackshit about sailing. SWO bubbas take that stuff.

I dont want to join the Navy, not get a flight school slot, and be assigned to soemthign related to sailing. Above all else, its as simple as I want to be a Marine. I have nothing against the Navy though.

Same thing can happen in the corp, bud. But if you want to be a Marine to be a Marine, that's completely legit. Just understand Marine pilot's are looked at with a different lens within the corp. And check your sources a bit more, and ask some people in how they feel about their navy and marine corp bros and the general attitudes and climates.

Ready.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Navy guys do FAC too. Especially when the Deltas don't get off the ground because they're falling apart.

You are talking about FAC(A). He meant FAC, i.e. on the ground with a maneuver unit.

Well one did just become commandant. Maybe the times they are a changin'. I also think Solodaninja was talking about a ground FAC tour with the grunts, and not FAC-airborne.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
And from my persective, my marine buds havel learned minimal stuff about ground pounding and brain-dumped it.

Same thing can happen in the corp, bud. And check your sources a bit more

Depends on who you talk to. Not everyone brain dumps everything or felt like TBS was a waste of time.

And its Corps, with an "S." The Corp is where you grab that coveted cubicle job once you leave the military.

SoloDaNINJA

Well one did just become commandant. Maybe the times they are a changin'. I also think Solodaninja was talking about a ground FAC tour with the grunts, and not FAC-airborne.

Yes, you are correct.
When I said I prefer the USMC planes, all I meant was there isnt a single plane in the USMC that I wouldnt be happy flying. They even make their C-130's badass.