• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You would rather have the brass banging against the airframe or possibly FODing a motor? I am going to go out on a limb here and say that every modern fighter or attack aircraft keeps its spent casings.
I thought maybe a "green" SECNAV would rather not be littering the battlefield with spent casings he can recycle to help pay for synthetic fuel.

jmcquate

Contributor
You would rather have the brass banging against the airframe or possibly FODing a motor? I am going to go out on a limb here and say that every modern fighter or attack aircraft keeps its spent casings.
M61 has a double ended feed system that retains the brass for FOD and it helps to maintain CG.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
M61 has a double ended feed system that retains the brass for FOD and it helps to maintain CG.
Indeed it does. Thanks for the info.

It also turns a normal nighttime flight into Star Wars style jump into light speed with all the stars streaking by. This can be very disconcerting, especially the first time you do it and you are bottoming out at about 1000'.

But I prefer ATARS. I am much more lethal with that thing. And, no pesky gun gas caution to worry about.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

The real question is do you make your ordies count the brass out when the aircraft lands? You know, for safety...

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
The real question is do you make your ordies count the brass out when the aircraft lands? You know, for safety...
I am one of the nicer pilots, and I only make them count it twice. They make cool souvenirs also.

Hotdogs

pilot
I am one of the nicer pilots, and I only make them count it twice. They make cool souvenirs also.

Unfortunately we shit all of ours out on the range, so no souvenirs. I do have a couple of nice TOW tubes though.

Hotdogs

pilot
Yea by the end of the year we will have shot the last TOWs out of Cobras. Not sure who has the claim to have the last shot though.

SkywardET

Contrarian
My son is interning with Lockheed on the F-35 line in Ft Worth. He just missed the take off of the VFA-101 aircraft the other day. The spousal unit and myself are flying out this weekend and he will give us a tour of the plant. Really looking forward to it. Interesting side note, early on he was taken out on tour of the facility and ran into the only A-12 built. I suppose it was an engineering exercise of some sort since it never flew, to the best of my knowledge. Can you imagine how much different NAVAIR would have been if the Avenger II had made it to the fleet?

I heard something (not for attribution) more along the lines of the A-12 project being a complete bureaucratic fustercluck of epic proportions.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard something (not for attribution) more along the lines of the A-12 project being a complete bureaucratic fustercluck of epic proportions.
It still hasn't been legally and financially sorted out. Just recently Boeing suggested DOD take "material" and a promise to stop all legal appeals in trade for the debt owned the Navy for screwing the pooch so badly. Basically, DOD gets F-15Es, Rhino spares, etc from Boeing to write down the debt and a legal TKO. Problem is the law doesn't allow that. Congress may change the law just to put the A-12 to bed.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot

I'm working on a paper about it now (for a grad class) - and right now that seems to be the gist of it. "The $5 Billion Misunderstanding" is a good reference. Published by the Naval Institute Press, and it criticizes DoN/DoD/NAVAIR pretty hard about it, with the disclaimer that going in, the author was convinced the contractors were 100% the bad guys. The truth was more complicated, apparently. If anyone reading here was involved directly, please PM me.

Lawman

None
Unfortunately we shit all of ours out on the range, so no souvenirs. I do have a couple of nice TOW tubes though.

What you too good to walk range cleanup? Hell Ive got 30 or 40 shell casings in my house. Not to mention a couple rockets, a few MPSMs, and a half a dozen flechettes. Trick is just to figure out which lane all the shooting took place on from the Range Tower and the where abouts people did the shooting. The shell casings look great polished or powder coated. Make good shot glasses too, though a little more than a regular shot unless you cut them down.

Best thing is making new pilots Shine a TP round thats been recovered. Ive seen units that make it an "inspectable item" at Pilots briefings and such.

Attachments

• 240378_10100180320917464_3139390_o.jpg
    240378_10100180320917464_3139390_o.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 50

Renegade One

None
I'm working on a paper about it now (for a grad class) - and right now that seems to be the gist of it. "The $5 Billion Misunderstanding" is a good reference...the author was convinced the contractors were 100% the bad guys. The truth was more complicated, apparently. If anyone reading here was involved directly, please PM me.
When in doubt, ALWAYS blame the contractor. :(
To insert any sort of uniformed responsibility into the evidentiary chain would get between a lot of upwardly-mobile folks and their end-of-tour LOMs or MSMs.

BigRed389

None
When in doubt, ALWAYS blame the contractor. :(
To insert any sort of uniformed responsibility into the evidentiary chain would get between a lot of upwardly-mobile folks and their end-of-tour LOMs or MSMs.

Not that I disagree with you (though I've heard of uniformed folks being "moved aside"), but it seems the relative high turnover of uniformed positions makes that kind of accountability difficult, if not impossible. By the time a big time F up decision matures enough to really bite you in the ass, the people most responsible for implementing it have usually moved on.

Oh...and I thought the whole point of the Pentagon Wars was to point the finger right back at the DOD.