• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Tomsonx

firepower.jpg
You know a while back I launched with 500 rounds 20mm and 2X GBU-31 and I thought to myself "Self, if only I could get rid of these pesky bombs and have 2 extra guns instead. Then I could truly take the fight to the enemy and do some real damage."

Once I was winchester I even contemplated ejecting, so I could hook and jab down there with my 9mm, MCMAP green belt and K-bar. Alas, it was just training so I went home instead.

See picture.

And jmcquate you can actually do some damage with a sonic boom, don't know if you can kill a man but at least you can break his china

Tomsonx

I don't really get the point, I wasn't arguing with anybody I just wanted to show a funny picture and a video that I thought was somewhat related.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't really get the point, I wasn't arguing with anybody I just wanted to show a funny picture and a video that I thought was somewhat related.
I think the point is that your 5 gun pod idea isn't particularly well informed.

jackjack

Guns?!? Who needs guns? JAG knows that sonic booms is what scares the bad guys. We need bigger BOOMS.......oh, and stealth and VSTOL.
If it works....it works:cool:
http://sgp1.paddington.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/cover_stories/transcript_1536.asp
SQUADRON COMMANDER PAUL: We requested that an aircraft, an F14, come and do a low fly in order to break the sound barrier. The effect of this was a sonic boom - a massive explosion. We actually thought he had detonated ammunition inside the facility. That wasn't the case. It broke in several windows. And the result was that people came running out with their arms up.

Tomsonx

20120222_O_GR159_001s.jpg

I think the point is that your 5 gun pod idea isn't particularly well informed.

I'm not an engineer and I've never flown a plane (let alone a fighter jet) so you could say my idea isn't well informed. But just looking at it, it doesn't seem too far off to think about attaching more, maybe smaller gun pods to the other external hard points. With the Air Force version that would be a total of 6 guns.

Again I'm not a pilot so I'll admit I don't know how practical that would be but I think it would be a cool sight to see, almost like a throwback to those WWII planes where they just had 6 guns built into the wings.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
View attachment 12500

I'm not an engineer and I've never flown a plane (let alone a fighter jet) so you could say my idea isn't well informed. But just looking at it, it doesn't seem too far off to think about attaching more, maybe smaller gun pods to the other external hard points. With the Air Force version that would be a total of 6 guns.

Again I'm not a pilot so I'll admit I don't know how practical that would be but I think it would be a cool sight to see, almost like a throwback to those WWII planes where they just had 6 guns built into the wings.

1 gun is enough.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
View attachment 12500

You kind of redeemed yourself with the funny picture, and then you started talking about the 5 gun pods again. I know, I know, other people kept bringing it up. But for your own sake just drop it.

On a side note, has anyone else ever been in a foreign country and had some locals from said country try to extort money from the US government by claiming "sonic boom damage" after they saw US fighter jets flying around? Even if said jets were at 20,000'. Even though photos showed the "sonic boom cracks" had multiple layers of cobwebs inside them. Just curious.

jmcquate

Contributor
Don't the hard points and (I'm guessing is a gun pod, that sways with Gs) kind of make the whole stealth magic go away?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't the hard points and (I'm guessing is a gun pod, that sways with Gs) kind of make the whole stealth magic go away?

The hard points are for when you would not need 'low observability', like Afghanistan or after and IADS is destroyed/degraded.

Lawman

None
You kind of redeemed yourself with the funny picture, and then you started talking about the 5 gun pods again. I know, I know, other people kept bringing it up. But for your own sake just drop it.

On a side note, has anyone else ever been in a foreign country and had some locals from said country try to extort money from the US government by claiming "sonic boom damage" after they saw US fighter jets flying around? Even if said jets were at 20,000'. Even though photos showed the "sonic boom cracks" had multiple layers of cobwebs inside them. Just curious.

Any time we fly near any kind of foul farm (chicken, pheasant, etc) the local Base Ops gets to write a check for ever dead chicken in that guys pen. It's so prevalent at Rucker that they've established a 1km RAZ around any and all chicken coops and for those of you that have never flown over southeastern Alabama that's about every other damn farm.