• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Lawman

None

This helps explain all the delays... Next thing you know they'll solve world hunger.

That really doesnt look like that far of a bridge to cross considering equipment already in use.

IRST has been around for 30 years now. Helmet mounted sights the same amount of time when you look at what we've had in the Apache. CMWS works on pretty much the same concept as far as "seeing" all around the aircraft and digitally figuring out where and what is coming at you to deploy the flare cocktail and we've been working that system for the better part of a decade with the money and research of being in a no kidding shooting zone with it.

Hell its about time somebody said "hey lets put all this nonsense into one box and make it work together."

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Hell its about time somebody said "hey lets put all this nonsense into one box and make it work together."

While I will agree that it makes sense, the issue is that many of the individual components are all made by different manufacturers who are reluctant to disclose source code so programs can all run seamlessly. I offer the DJC2 system as an example where putting everything together is neither simple nor cheap. What was supposed to be a simple "JOC in a box" https://sp.djc2.org/ needed 10 years to become operational...

Lawman

None
While I will agree that it makes sense, the issue is that many of the individual components are all made by different manufacturers who are reluctant to disclose source code so programs can all run seamlessly. I offer the DJC2 system as an example where putting everything together is neither simple nor cheap. What was supposed to be a simple "JOC in a box" https://sp.djc2.org/ needed 10 years to become operational...

I agree but splicing components in piecemeal and making an eventual software block upgrade after the fact to make it all work 10 years down the road seems to uncover more problems than solutions in the actual aircraft.

The solution isnt "lets do it later" the solution we need to be finding is "how do we unf*ck these contractors to get what we paid for."

Pags

N/A
pilot
Getting all the black boxes to play nice together is sometimes like trying to use a 386 to get a beta vcr to talk to a record player. Lots of proprietary concerns from all the different manufacturers involved. I'm not sure how the ASE suite is on the AH-64, but the MH-60 has LM computers talking to BAE buckets, so there's lot of additional black boxes between the dispense switch and the squibs.

Lawman

None
With our ASE suite it depends on when they built it. There are federated, and integrated versions and it all comes down to a wiring harness apparently. Problem they are having now is the federated versions cant go any further than what it is right now (bolt on CMWS). The integrated model is taking the bolt in control head for CMWS and putting it into the MPD system so we can declutter the cockpit and integrate it with the rest of the ASE suite.

We just went through the major fleet wide upgrade to Lot 13 software to "fix" all the issues with Lot 11. Before they even started doing it on our aircraft they handed us a stack of papers and said "here are all the issues they found with this software." Needless to say we lost a lot of stuff that worked fine in 11 and it comes down to a lot of the contractors worrying more about losing their niche black box they wont let anybody else touch so they can be included in the next contract for development rather than giving us what they billed.

KBayDog

It would also zap 2-3 help spots right off the bat.

Harrier Dude said:
They would be enormously helped by a skijump, but as already noted, that would kill 2-3 chopper spots.

If anything, we'll need an additional 2-3 chopper spots when the well deck-less LHA(LPH?)-6 enters service.

That throwback boat will make R2P2 significantly easier, though: "Sir, we've got the Air option, the Air option, and the Air option. After weighing all of the alternatives, I think our best bid for success lies with the Air option."

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
Read a deal in the latest Marine Corps Times issue (24 Oct) about how the F-22 is the better option for the Corps and should be considered as a backup for the JSF. Though I could really careless for either aircraft, as cool as they may be, and I have been a long proponent of us picking up the Super Hornet (ITS NEVER TOO LATE!) , just curious to hear some opinions/thoughts for discussion sake. Sorry can't seem to pull up the article.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Read a deal in the latest Marine Corps Times issue (24 Oct) about how the F-22 is the better option for the Corps and should be considered as a backup for the JSF. Though I could really careless for either aircraft, as cool as they may be, and I have been a long proponent of us picking up the Super Hornet (ITS NEVER TOO LATE!) , just curious to hear some opinions/thoughts for discussion sake. Sorry can't seem to pull up the article.

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/marine-f-22s.37829/