• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is breaking news. No one has ever thought that this could possibly happen.

Au Contraire, it's been a subject of debate and contention almost from the start. Then RADM Nathman (as N88) proposed to DC Air (LTGEN McCorkle) that the USMC squadrons commited to operating aboard aircraft carriers be equipped with F-35C and the Navy expeditionary squadrons that deploy to Okinawa be equipped with F-35B. At that time, USMC wanted 100% F-35B. Later, GEN Newland (as ACMC) revived the discussion as part of the epic Navy/Marine Corps TACAIR Integration Study led by WBB and briefed out to SECNAV, which ultimately impacted the 2004 Budget.

slug

It is amazing to me that the budget for the development program of the F-35 is greater than the entire budget for the USCG.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/opinion/27korb.html?th&emc=th

the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, a next-generation aircraft that is not needed in the military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, is projected to consume more money than the entire Coast Guard in 2011. Yet the F-35 program has suffered so many cost and technical problems that Secretary of Defense Robert Gates just fired its manager.

This is not an "anti F-35" post. I think it is a sweet a/c and desperately needed to replace at least the aging USMC Harriers. But it shocks me that the Obama administration has increased the budgets for all military services except the USCG, being reduced by 3%. Personally I think our govt. could save much more money by cutting programs in the AF and Navy than by cutting the measly $10 billion USCG budget. Oh well, back to doing more with less, saving lives with a shoestring.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Slug said:
" . . it shocks me that the Obama administration has increased the budgets for all military services except the USCG, being reduced by 3%. Personally I think our govt. could save much more money by cutting programs in the AF and Navy than by cutting the measly $10 billion USCG budget. Oh well, back to doing more with less, saving lives with a shoestring.

Maybe if the USCG stopped buying all those lousy French a/c, the gov't. would give you more $$ to play with!! Sorta just kidding.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Au Contraire, it's been a subject of debate and contention almost from the start. Then RADM Nathman (as N88) proposed to DC Air (LTGEN McCorkle) that the USMC squadrons commited to operating aboard aircraft carriers be equipped with F-35C and the Navy expeditionary squadrons that deploy to Okinawa be equipped with F-35B. At that time, USMC wanted 100% F-35B. Later, GEN Newland (as ACMC) revived the discussion as part of the epic Navy/Marine Corps TACAIR Integration Study led by WBB and briefed out to SECNAV, which ultimately impacted the 2004 Budget.

I need to work on my sarcasm.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Then RADM Nathman (as N88) proposed to DC Air (LTGEN McCorkle) that the USMC squadrons commited to operating aboard aircraft carriers be equipped with F-35C and the Navy expeditionary squadrons that deploy to Okinawa be equipped with F-35B.

Do expeditionary Navy squadrons exist already? Or would that have been some kind of restructuring?

Fog

None
Contributor
Do expeditionary Navy squadrons exist already? Or would that have been some kind of restructuring?

The Navy & Naval Air (and Marines) are expeditionary and always have been. That's why we are the Sea Services and not the f%&king Army & Air Force!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The Navy & Naval Air (and Marines) are expeditionary and always have been. That's why we the Sea Services and not the f%&king Army & Air Force!
Tell that to the P/Growler squadrons supporting the AF . . .

Fog

None
Contributor
Just watch, everyone: the F-35 development program is going to become a big Charlie Foxtrot w/in a year or so. The costs of the program are going to balloon hugely & the per unit cost of the a/c will move to $100MM - as opposed to the $60MM per a/c now advertised. The AF, Marines & Navy will get about half the original, planned numbers & foreign sales will shrink by half as well. With the latest announcement, it'll be 2017 before the Navy starts getting C models. A 2-yr slip overnight is a big slip in a program that was supposed to be on-schedule & slightly over-budget. I think there's a lot of bad news here that the Pentagon & LM are keeping from the public. Only good thing in all this is that it will get the Navy another 100 or more Super Hornets. Hopefully, it'll get the AF 100+ Block 60 F-16s to make up the difference in numbers. JMHO, as I'm not an insider.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
So, the typical deal where the price is so high that everyone cuts their buy, so the per unit price goes up even more, and we cut the buy again. So eventually we'll have spent many years and billions of dollars to get a hundred or so of these things, just like the F-22.

We need to either fish or cut bait, shit or get off the pot, screw or take off the condom, or whatever hackneyed phrase you prefer. Either buy the whole lot or just admit that it was a waste, cancel it entirely and fill this generation of fighter development with upgrades of current aircraft while we await the coming of our robot overlords....uh, I mean better UCAVs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
while we await the coming of our robot overlords....uh, I mean better UCAVs.

I, for one, welcome our robot overlords:
vote-robot-nixon.gif