• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
But our friends in blue have done so...totally different doctrine

More money. We'd probably do it too if we were rolling in dough. I say "we" as in DoN. The Marines would still find a way to squeak out maximum use out of each tank. Cheap bastards.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
John Boyd would roll over in his grave if he heard that!

John Boyd gave up all hope as soon as the put a radar in the F-16.

Both were designed to meet a specific set of performance parameters, be light, and cheap to build (you already know this). Two wing tip missiles and a gun is all they were envisioned to have. Then the services hung shit all over them.

A clean Hornet is a totally different animal from one with even on drop tank on it. It's like flying a whole other jet.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
You're still not understanding how they fly missions. They have gone a long way to the west, south and east to tap their adversaries, but they would never put tankers over the Syrian IADS. Look at the map and see what they do to avoid going near Syria. Wrong name to pull out of a hat.
Which reminds me, If we are gonna talk about penetrating bad guy land and taking out targets, we've gotta talk about the Israeli raid on that Syrian MacGuffin...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I asked an Air Force Lt Col standing by the UAE F-16 with conformal tanks at the Nellis Air Show why we didn't use them. His answer was that you can't jettison them. So if you want to fight or have an emergency, you are stuck with the extra drag and weight.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which reminds me, If we are gonna talk about penetrating bad guy land and taking out targets, we've gotta talk about the Israeli raid on that Syrian MacGuffin...

Actually, they have reached out and touched other countries at great distances more so than anyone else except US of A. The epic "raids" were:

War of Attribution "hooks" into Egypt by F-4Es through the back door in early 70s
Raid on Entebbe by C-130s in 1976
Raid on Iraq in 1981
Raid on Tunis by F-15s in 1985
Raid on Syria in Sept 06

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Want2flyNow said:
How many jamming pods is the growler to carry? looking at this picture(see below) it looks like a total of 5, which would leave 2 hardpoints open for self defense weapons. If conformal tanks could be added, the drop tanks could be taken off freeing up an extra two harpoints for some sparrows or something(if the airframe could handle it). The growler is not going to be able to drop its jamming pods, so I wonder if the crew would rather have an extra two missles, with a little exrtra weight added to an already heavily weighted plane, as opposed to only two.

http://www.arinc.com/images/pr_growler_large.jpg

I count three pods, they can be dropped (jettisoned), no one carries sparrows any more, conformal tanks are expensive and a waste (and can not be jettisoned which is a requirement around the boat), self defense is not a mission (HVAAP), read a book... just about everything you've said is wrong.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Also, Israel, you know I love you, but how about you become a tier 1 partner before you start requesting lasers for the F-35?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jackass said:
Seems as though it's still a very real possibility. Your thoughts?

They're talking about another engine as an alternative to the first, not putting two engines in one jet.

Brett

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
LOL this one made me laugh. 2 Engines in the JSF. That's not practical LAWL LAWL LAWL. No really though like the guy above said, it's a competing engine.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Jackass said:
Sorry, I'm drunk. Last day of classes today.

So what ?? Do you think that buys you a pass ???

I'm drunk 24/7 .... and lovin' it. It's a way of life.

:) in effect.