• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B arrives at Pax

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
All you slobbering little kids would fly that shit in a heartbeat had it won the contract ... and still would be blathering about how "sexy" it is ... :sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125

Yes sir, absolutely :)

Isn't it more likely that they retrain more seasoned pilots to fly the JSF than sending us newbies? How does that normally work when they bring new a/c online?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yes sir, absolutely :)

Isn't it more likely that they retrain more seasoned pilots to fly the JSF than sending us newbies? How does that normally work when they bring new a/c online?

You have to make each newly equiped squadron a mix of nuggets and experienced aviators. That way you have experienced senior guys later on who started as new guys in a new plane instead of everyone with experience with the new jet getting out of the service and no knowledge getting passed on.

Edit: That was my assumption

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have to make each newly equiped squadron a mix of nuggets and experienced aviators. That way you have experienced senior guys later on who started as new guys in a new plane instead of everyone with experience with the new jet getting out of the service and no knowledge getting passed on.

What I've seen over the years is any desirable platform when it first arrives ends up with a majority of SERGRADs so even though they may be nuggets, they have been seasoned a bit more and are pretty savvy on radios. Many go SERGRAD so they get that community choice preference and squeeze out the pure nuggets straight from getting their wings.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Sort of. That's what they shoot for, but inevitably new model squadrons end up being more senior than most. New programs always start out with experienced guys doing the start-up work, and once the fleet squadrons standup, those guys need somewhere to go. Witness MV-22 squadrons with 2 ltcols and 5 majors or more. They still send flight school grads in the usual numbers, but the squadrons still skew senior, which is bad for all--for newbies because there are too many field grade, and for said field grade because there aren't enough "good jobs" to go around.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Anyone know what this really means, never saw this before, so I am curious as to what it will be doing as far as EA goes.

I've heard talk about the ability of the AESA radar to do EA. But it's still only going to have one seat.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard talk about the ability of the AESA radar to do EA. But it's still only going to have one seat.
This. Having seen plenty of the single-anchor side and a little of the double, I'm glad I won't have to deal with that helmet fire. AVPLANS or no, it wouldn't surprise me to see Growlers in Marine colors some day.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
This. Having seen plenty of the single-anchor side and a little of the double, I'm glad I won't have to deal with that helmet fire. AVPLANS or no, it wouldn't surprise me to see Growlers in Marine colors some day.

Speaking of that, I got winged again last Friday. How do I get another set of wings over there <--------?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Is "this guy" meant to fill that other seat?

voice_activated_r2-d2.jpg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
On the C model they could probably fit him in where the lift fan is on the B.

So what you'rereally saying is the Corps doesn't have the budget for it and bought lift fans instead of R2D2s :)