• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B arrives at Pax

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
So, is the plan for each service to have its own RAG at Eglin? There's this, and I heard something about reestablishing VF-101 with F-35's.

If VF is coming back....it's only fitting we keep tradition and give our next fighter a 'cat nickname. I'd love to see this come to fruition.

Flugelman

Contributor
If VF is coming back....it's only fitting we keep tradition and give our next fighter a 'cat nickname. I'd love to see this come to fruition.

Not to be a dick, but if we followed tradition we would have to name it after a constellation... i.e. Orion, Vega, etc since Lockheed is the main contractor. Grumman aircraft were named after cats...

I would suggest Scorpius (Call it Scorpion since it has a sting).

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?

As nice as it'd be to see the VF designation back..101 will return as VFA-101. And it appears to be the case..See below (Although a little fact sheet on a squadron that's a year or two away was a bit much IMO..But whatevs):

The VFA-101 "Grim Reapers" are authorize operate 15 assigned F-35C aircraft, planning and executing a training curriculum in support of Navy aviator training requirements. The F-35C is a carrier-capable low-observable multi-role fighter aircraft, designed to provide unmatched airborne power projection from the sea. The F-35C bears structural modifications from the other variants, necessitated by the increased resiliency required for carrier operations.

from: http://www.eglin.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=15686

As for the nickname. It already has been named the Lightning II in honor of the P-38. I doubt it changes (Unless it's an affectionate/tactical nickname IE. Turkey for the F-14, Rhino for the F/A-18E/F, Warpig for the EA-6, etc).

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know what this really means, never saw this before, so I am curious as to what it will be doing as far as EA goes.
The Lockheed guys were saying that stealthy jamming pods were in the works for the Marines at Tailhook this year. They also said that they had no idea when it would be ready, but from that press release, it looks like the time table speed up a bit or someone is jumping the gun.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
The Lockheed guys were saying that stealthy jamming pods were in the works for the Marines at Tailhook this year. They also said that they had no idea when it would be ready, but from that press release, it looks like the time table speed up a bit or someone is jumping the gun.

Sounds like what they did with the C-130J. Missiles/Trons sounds like something thats already here.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Anyone have any educated speculation as to when this thing will hit the fleet?

rumor mill is that the first winged pilots for the F35 (non-transition) are in the pool at MATSG-21 right now. :eek:
Well, based off the Marine Corps 2010 AVPLAN, the first squadron will be VMFA-332 from cadre status in 2011 and ready to go in 2012, based at MCAS Yuma [pg 7-5]. Looks like the plan will be basing the first 4 F-35 squadrons at Yuma, with MCAS Beaufort getting them next.

Again, according to the same AVPLAN, the first Cones (CAT 1) to start the F-35 RAG will be in 2012 [pg 3-13]. With that in mind, the first F-35 CAT 1's are probably not at TBS yet...

SF

Lonestar155

is good to go
According to the Aviation plan they only mention the B variant. Is the USMC solely sticking with the "B" variant or will they also contract the "C" variants as well to replace the Hornet squadrons in the future?

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Just like the Phantom and the Crusader. ;) (My, God what planes.)

Steve

Some few of us might even remember the "Ford", and the Demon. The "Ford" not being official name for the Skyray, as Demon was for the F3.
icon12.gif

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
According to the Aviation plan they only mention the B variant. Is the USMC solely sticking with the "B" variant or will they also contract the "C" variants as well to replace the Hornet squadrons in the future?

As of right now its just the B that I'm aware of.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Arrival of first F-35B at Pax River

BF-1overPAX.jpg

US Navy photo by David Drais